Sony Michel traded to Rams

MDY10

41 minutes ago, MDY10 said:

Rams get some help at RB and trade for Sony Michel for 2 late round conditional picks 

According to Jourdan Rodrique, if we get a 4th round compensatory pick for John Johnson, they would get that and we would get back our 5th+6th.

A 4th round pick for Michel is a little steep, but it's essentially a gifted pick. Michel is very talented. He is a FA next season, so if he takes off, we would let him walk and get a comp pick. The compensation overall from our end could be minimal for getting a former 1st rounder if he signs elsewhere on a decent deal. 

900+ rush yards in first 2 seasons. 4.5 YPC in 2018. 5.7 YPC in 2020. New England isnt' really known for having RB's put up gawdy numbers so this could be a great change of scenery for him. I don't hate it.

Edited by BStanRamFan
  • Like 1

I like this move. Michel was a guy whom plenty thought was a great pick by the Pats when they drafted him. Since it’s the Pats, Bill loves to use all his backs so Michel never truly got to live up to his full potential there. I think of Michel can get at least 15 touches in this offense he will thrive. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, LeotheLion said:

The price seems steep but with Hendo's durability/being on a pitch count we needed someone more established. And he's gotten great reports this TC.

If we give a 4th this year and can have Michel sign a decent deal next year we could walk away with a 5th or 6th back in return. The net compensation might not be that bad in the big picture.

• Like 1

This is a great trade for the Rams. If Michel stays healthy, he’ll jumpstart the Rams’ running attack. He’s had a great camp and looked very good against the Eagles last week. I personally think he was drafted too high (1st round) and isn’t a great pass-catcher, but he’s a solid NFL starter.

Good luck this season. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

If we give a 4th this year and can have Michel sign a decent deal next year we could walk away with a 5th or 6th back in return. The net compensation might not be that bad in the big picture.

If Michel has a decent season with us then it is worth it. We are far too invested in the year to go into the year with so much uncertainty at RB. I do never like playing the game with expecting comp picks. We should have gotten one for Suh and didn't. A player like Michel is likely to not be super coveted, even if he has a great year, on the opening of FA.

• Like 1

I don’t love the move but I do like it. I think it was a little steep of a price. But I think he can be a 3rd down back for us and the obvious next man up if/when Hendo gets hurt.
With how much we’ve invested to go all in this season, we couldn’t afford to leave our running game in the hands of Jones/Funk if Henderson were to go down 

20 minutes ago, LeotheLion said:

If Michel has a decent season with us then it is worth it. We are far too invested in the year to go into the year with so much uncertainty at RB. I do never like playing the game with expecting comp picks. We should have gotten one for Suh and didn't. A player like Michel is likely to not be super coveted, even if he has a great year, on the opening of FA.

And if it works out with Sony, we can let Henderson walk when his contract is up and keep the Akers/Michel duo 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, LeotheLion said:

Snead does. It's a major factor in his decision making.

Suh signed after a particular date that removed him from the comp pick formula, sour grapes.

A former 1st rounder who is still young can proved his first few years being "low" could be system related may make him a coveted FA runningback. If we get a 6th back, it factors into why we were willing to give up a comp 4th. 

• Like 1

Yeah the Rams got a former 1st round pick who is still young and have played in big games. He helped give the Pats offense a spark in the Superbowl win against us. He had 18/94/1 averaging 5.2ypc. I don’t even think he scratched the surface on reaching his potential. He could definitely be the big x-factor outside of Stafford on offense down the stretch in the season and if the Rams make the playoffs going on the road to TB or even GB in that cold weather bc Michel played in cold weather in NE. I wouldn’t be surprised either that if he has a good to great season Henderson will be gone next year and it will be Akers and Michel 1-2 because both guys are more overall talented than Henderson. 

16 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

Snead does. It's a major factor in his decision making.

Suh signed after a particular date that removed him from the comp pick formula, sour grapes.

A former 1st rounder who is still young can proved his first few years being "low" could be system related may make him a coveted FA runningback. If we get a 6th back, it factors into why we were willing to give up a comp 4th. 

It's obviously a factor but too much unknowns to be a reason to talk myself into the trade. Seattle fans did the same thing when they traded a 3rd for Clowney. Thinking they'd get that 3rd back. It doesn't always happen even if the player signs a decent contract.