Possible Roster Upgrade Targets As Roster Cuts Loom

Just Want A Title

6 minutes ago, lomaxgrUK said:

Honestly, I wouldn't be too down on it. He's going to be way ahead of any 6th round pick you would be selecting next year.

I think it could work out well for you.

I'm not sold on that either.  It is also a 5th and 7th next year.  He was an UDFA that spent a year on the PS.  He might make a little impact but the odds of these guys showing out against real competition is small, especially for any extended period of time.  I hope it works out but I am not at all holding my breath and it seems he would have been cut anyways, or someone similar would have been like Gandy-Golden who doesn't cost anything. 

2 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I'm not sold on that either.  It is also a 5th and 7th next year.  He was an UDFA that spent a year on the PS.  He might make a little impact but the odds of these guys showing out against real competition is small, especially for any extended period of time.  I hope it works out but I am not at all holding my breath and it seems he would have been cut anyways, or someone similar would have been like Gandy-Golden who doesn't cost anything. 

I know it's a 5th and 7th, but with the 6th you're getting back I assume it equates to basically a high 6th round pick.

Well, that's your opinion. I have seen him play and I know he can play in the NFL. Hopefully he gets his chance.

• Like 1

Just now, lomaxgrUK said:

I know it's a 5th and 7th, but with the 6th you're getting back I assume it equates to basically a high 6th round pick.

Well, that's your opinion. I have seen him play and I know he can play in the NFL. Hopefully he gets his chance.

We have some fringe guys that could play in the NFL.  Benson probably can but he is still a 6th WR likely to get cut if we don't want to give up anything for him.  If not, he likely won't be an Adam Thielin based on odds so why not just get someone who can play in the league without giving up picks.  If its a cap thing or if someone will be wildly sought after, then sure make a trade, but I doubt there were teams lined up for a second year UDFA who spent his first season on a practice squad with the top WR injured all year. 

29 minutes ago, lomaxgrUK said:

Well hopefully you're right, but to me at least, if he wasn't going to make it like you said earlier, giving up a 5th hurts for a player to be cut let alone a 5th and 7th. When you factor in the amount of ammo we might have, that 5th could be used to trade up. When you suck, you need all the ammo you can get.

Thanks for posting in here though, and giving us shades of hope. It's much needed, lol.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

With it being a 5th and a 7th with a 6th coming back, I’m sure we were in a bidding war for him. That’s compensation you give when you’re battling other teams for something. I have no clue who he is but I’m certain he’s good enough that other teams were in the mix for him 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, HashtagFTW said:

With it being a 5th and a 7th with a 6th coming back, I’m sure we were in a bidding war for him. That’s compensation you give when you’re battling other teams for something. I have no clue who he is but I’m certain he’s good enough that other teams were in the mix for him 

Perhaps.  But even if so I just don't see the value.  They must think he is a long term option based on compensation given but still seems odd.  I am sure someone else who has been or will be cut will be just as or more valuable over the next two seasons, so why waste the picks? I hope he is solid.  He very well could be. I just prefer grabbing cut guys with potential opposed to just clamoring over a preseason warrior with zero production against starters.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LionArkie said:

Is it just me or does a 5th and 7th seem a little steep for a roster bubble player in Benson and a 6th round pick in 2023?

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/nfl/lions/2021/08/31/trinity-benson-detroit-lions-denver-broncos-trade/5662329001/

Some additional context:

https://www.prideofdetroit.com/2021/8/31/22650396/broncos-insider-detroit-lions-trade-analysis-trinity-benson

https://lionswire.usatoday.com/2021/08/31/trinity-benson-lions-trade-scouting-report-broncos-details/

I generally try to hold back on judging trades but this seems like a pretty good deal for the Lions and a good opportunity for Trinity Benson.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

We cut both of the kickers on the roster.  We obviously need to pick up a kicker from the waiver wire or maybe a trade.  Jake Verity from the Ravens could be a target.

https://www.baltimorebeatdown.com/2021/8/16/22626390/jake-verity-could-be-the-next-undrafted-kicker-the-ravens-trade-for-a-draft-pick

I really didnt pay attention but were they that bad?  I am guessing they want to put someone on the short term IR and need a roster spot until then.  Will probably resign Bullock after they do something like that. 

Similar to other positions though, I'd like to sign an UDFA and just let them try.  Keep trying random young kickers and see what sticks.  No point in paying an old guy who will be here for a year or two.