Possible Roster Upgrade Targets As Roster Cuts Loom

Just Want A Title

Chicago just signed Perriman to a one year deal. 

We are going to get two first hand looks at whether Holmes is on the right track or not. For a Lions roster devoid of talent, especially at the WR position, it would be a really big deal if Perriman winds up contributing in Chicago in a meaningful way. 

5 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

I might be in the minority but I would like for us to kick the tires on Royce Freeman. I liked him a lot coming out of Oregon. He's a big back and averaging 4 yards a carry. We could do worse. 

I think he'd be taking Godwin Igwebuike's spot if picked up. I imagine Igwebuike will be heavily used in special teams. Does Freeman have any value there?

27 minutes ago, Nnivolcm said:

I think he'd be taking Godwin Igwebuike's spot if picked up. I imagine Igwebuike will be heavily used in special teams. Does Freeman have any value there?

That's a good point. I think that I'm actually OK with what we have a RB. Jefferson looked like he would be OK as the RB3, and the 4th guy is only going to matter on special teams or if someone gets hurt. If someone gets hurt you might as well bring someone in. 

I would like to see someone added at WR. I like some of the guys like we have, but besides Williams they're pretty much all best suited for the slot. We don't really have anyone else that's a great fit on the outside, which gets especially scary when you consider Williams and his history of injuries. If he goes down you're suddenly forcing a lot of guys into roles that they don't fit, and to some extent we might be doing that already. 

Edited by Lions017

31 minutes ago, Nnivolcm said:

Godwin has a PFF grade for special teams around 55 while Freeman is 53. Freeman has a 72.6 rushing grade. 

41 minutes ago, Nnivolcm said:

Did PFF say how many snaps, what their roles were, or anything like that to give a little context?

Freeman (159 Snaps > Pro Football Reference; below adds up to 157) in 2020

Kick Coverage: 57 (L2 - 18; R2  - 21)

Kick Return: 57 (LB - 35; RB - 22)

Punt Coverage: 21

Punt Return: 22

Guessing he's more of a blocker on ST. I don't see anything about PR or KR yards. 

Edited by Karnage84
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

Freeman (159 Snaps > Pro Football Reference; below adds up to 157)

Kick Coverage: 57 (L2 - 18; R2  - 21)

Kick Return: 57 (LB - 35; RB - 22)

Punt Coverage: 21

Punt Return: 22

Guessing he's more of a blocker on ST. I don't see anything about PR or KR yards. 

Godwin had 25 ST snaps in 2019; 36 in 2018*

Pro Football Reference is saying around 64 in 2018*

Edited by Karnage84