? Week Eight: Panthers (4-3) @ Bucs (2-4)

bucsfan333

13 hours ago, REDandPEWTER said:

I agree. I' can see a new GM then let him make the decision on koetter and smith. 

I've been reading up on George Paton , assistant GM out of Minnesota. Apparently he has the reputation to work well with anyone which is why Kansas City was looking at him in June Bc they obviously weren't looking for someone to scratch the whole thing down with replacing Reid. 

He has played a big part in drafting and building that roster working with spielman. 

Id say he might be a good fit here in Tampa. 

I think he can work well with koetter. But he may have demands to have him hire an OC. 

That s a solid choice.  It looks like he has interviewed a couple of times already, the league appears to think highly of him.  The Vikings have drafted pretty well on the defensive side of the ball, which is certainly helpful.

16 hours ago, bucsfan333 said:

I was all about signing Campbell. Even mocked him to us. But I get why we didn't, even if it sucks and looks really bad now.

I get why we didn't. But I mean chris baker. Licht prides himself on finding guys who love football. Love the game. Have high football IQ. He did no research on this guy. All he had to do was ask a media member in Washington to find out dude doesn't work hard and won't practice. Watching hard knocks, this dude was the opposite of hard working. He looks gassed all the time. 

1 hour ago, REDandPEWTER said:

I get why we didn't. But I mean chris baker. Licht prides himself on finding guys who love football. Love the game. Have high football IQ. He did no research on this guy. All he had to do was ask a media member in Washington to find out dude doesn't work hard and won't practice. Watching hard knocks, this dude was the opposite of hard working. He looks gassed all the time. 

Then he complains about being rotated in and out so often.

I want to add something about Mike Smith.  First, I m in agreement on lack of talent and player accountability. 

However, coaching matters and Mike Smith did a great job in Jacksonville. IIRC, in Atlanta he had at least 2 DC in Van Gorder and Nolan.  His defenses were mainly 4-3, but with Nolan they went 3-4.  I think it was safe to say his defenses were pretty average with some really goods players such as Abraham and Coleman.

My point is if players lose their ability to perform over time, why can t coaches do the same?  Case in point, Monte Kiffin.  For me, Monte is a Hall of Fame coach.  Even in the last couple of years under Gruden, some of those dlines werent exactly stellar.  I would argue if Monte didnt leave with Lane in 08 that the collapse wouldnt have happened and history between then and now would look a lot different.  Monte was terrific in the pros by the time he was pressured to step down at USC, he just wasnt the same coach.  If Monte could lose his fastball, why not Mike Smith?

Im very concerned in the 2nd year we re still reading communication issues.  Really? I make no bones about it will take a miracle for Licht to keep his job.  Smith makes me question have I seen enough from Atlanta s defense under his tenure to suggest this will get better?  As a comparison, Brian Billick was hired because of his offensive background, but his Ravens offenses were mediocre.  He never got an OC job after leaving Baltimore.

Finally, Dirk Koetter.  Koetter needs to be evaluated as the head coach.  I appreciate loyalty, but hiring Mike Smith as his DC came with risk.  There were other candidates who were more recently coordinators, also position coaches who would be ready for a promotion.  It always seemed Smith was going to be the guy unless he got the Giants job.  Well Dirk, Dungy and Gruden were fired with a lot more success on the field then you have accomplished.  He s done well as a play caller, but his time mgmt skills are mediocre and team discipline is starting to wane.  Your best supporter in the organization is probably not going to have his contract renewed.  Koetter can survive if the team plays hard and stops beating itself with penalties and not doing their job.  Right now, I m not very confident this will change.

Archived