? Week Eight: Panthers (4-3) @ Bucs (2-4)

bucsfan333

11 hours ago, Lil' Shorty said:

Our defense is so broken. Offense may start to be clicking but coaches on the defensive side are killing this team. Sure we don't have the best personnel but at the very least put players in a position to succeed. Looks like it's going to be another long season. I'd be pissed too if I was Gerald. Mike Smith better be fired this season.

This is very troubling to read.  Unfortunately, this is turning into a reverse Dungy scenario,  a great defense with an under performing offense.  The coaching and players need to be on the same page and working together or another abysmal performance at the very least this defensive coaching staff will see significant changes at the end of the year.  I hope it can change, but I'm not optimistic.  I think it is time for Koetter to be THE head coach, not just the head coach of the offense.  His team is starting to unravel, friendship has to be put aside.  These issues will reflect poorly on him as head coach.

Here's the other thing with our defense. When a player gets to the NFL level you cannot tell me one players all pro year vs one players horrible year is all because of talent. Sure, there are outliers and players who are just on another level, but all in all everyone is extreamly talented. The difference maker is the coaching. 

I firmly believe that simply with better defensive coaches this unit would be middle of the pack at the very worst. Coaching is just awful. Koetter needs to step up and not just shrug his shoulders and go down with the ship. Even IF we somehow outscore opponents and make a playoff run, Smith needs to be gone. We shouldn't have to go 2-14 to get a new defensive coaching staff.

34 minutes ago, Lil' Shorty said:

Here's the other thing with our defense. When a player gets to the NFL level you cannot tell me one players all pro year vs one players horrible year is all because of talent. Sure, there are outliers and players who are just on another level, but all in all everyone is extreamly talented. The difference maker is the coaching. 

I firmly believe that simply with better defensive coaches this unit would be middle of the pack at the very worst. Coaching is just awful. Koetter needs to step up and not just shrug his shoulders and go down with the ship. Even IF we somehow outscore opponents and make a playoff run, Smith needs to be gone. We shouldn't have to go 2-14 to get a new defensive coaching staff.

It depends. If we're talking TJ ward, he didn't have a full offseason in this defense for one. And two: asking him to be a man coverage safety isn't his strong point. He will get beat. It makes me wonder if there was a strong reason why Denver let him go. Maybe his play has slipped and they wanted to rid themselves of that exposure. 

I think the talent lies mostly in the LB corp and secondary but man we have a horrible pass rush. Baker is awful. He gets thrown around like a rag doll. Ayers was signed to a two year deal coming off his best year at 9.5 sacks in 2015 so he cashed in on a two year guaranteed contract and he looks like he's headed for retirement. 

Will gholston is the player I wonder what happened to. In 2013, he showed a lot of promise and was beating down OL getting to the qb at DE and DT. He seemed to regress instead of progress. Could it be coaching? Could it be players? 

Ill say this: our secondary has a lot of pressure to uphold Bc the horses up front are wretched  we lack a pass rush and are down right soft up front  McCoy and McDonald have played the best from our entire DL. We are relying on our cbs to cover for a long period of time and qbs are feasting  

We can place a lot of blame on coaches but at the same time. From January til may, and limited practices and reps in training camp, players are hindered to working with coaches due to the current agreement. 

The whole idea of our CBs not knowing if they're gonna have help over the top is bad. We can't do that this week, with all the inexperience we'll have lining up. We need to play a more traditional defense so our guys can just react and not worry.

I wonder if Gerald McCoy leaves the Bucs for a contender in the near future? I don't know how far he is into his contract but I am imagining it could be a trade? He's been one of fave players on the team along with Lavonte David and at one time both these guys were All-Pro's and well deserved ones at that (under Schiano if I recall correctly?). As a DC aren't you supposed to build a defense to put your best players in the best position to make plays and win games for you?

42 minutes ago, ChumpyTodz said:

I wonder if Gerald McCoy leaves the Bucs for a contender in the near future? I don't know how far he is into his contract but I am imagining it could be a trade? He's been one of fave players on the team along with Lavonte David and at one time both these guys were All-Pro's and well deserved ones at that (under Schiano if I recall correctly?). As a DC aren't you supposed to build a defense to put your best players in the best position to make plays and win games for you?

Most fans wanna ship McCoy every year, for whatever reason. But he should retire a Buc. We just need to do a better job using him to his strengths. He's not a nose tackle. He doesn't need to be running stunts. Let him use his insane get off and get into the backfield every play. And rotate him more; he's 300lbs. He doesn't need to be playing 95%+ of our defensive snaps.

David is fine. He's hinted that he could make more plays, but the scheme is holding him back. And he already makes a ton of plays.

We need to let those guys do their thing and make our defense better, as a whole. The scheme is holding both back.

Archived