Marvel: Midnight Suns (Firaxis, 2022)

Kiltman

Announced at Gamescom, though it had leaked out prior to E3.
The game, available for PC, PlayStation and Xbox consoles, and the Nintendo Switch, will launch in March 2022.

It's going to be an Xcom style tactical rpg. The character they are resurrecting in the trailer is called The Hunter and it's a totally customizable hero the Devs and Marvel created.
The child of Lilith, who will be the antagonist. She's the mother of demons in the Comics.

Midnight Suns follows a similar trek as the comics crossover storyline called Rise of the Midnight Sons, where characters including Ghost Rider and Blade joined forces to battle Lilith, the mother of demons. only Hydra has revived Lilith in the game. The Avengers enlist the help of four supernatural characters to aid them: Ghost Rider, Blade, Magik and Nico Minoru.

The game marks a first for both Firaxis and Marvel: the debut of a customizable hero called The Hunter, the child of Lilith resurrected by Marvel's supernatural heroes to help in the fight. 

Like XCOM, Midnight Suns is turn-based, which means players must meticulously strategize how they want heroes to attack enemy characters within the game. However, that's where similarities between the two end, said Solomon.

Unlike XCOM, where the enemies are the most powerful threat, Midnight Suns places all that power within the heroes players control. Solomon said game play is more about how "to use this battlefield as a playground." 

"It still scratches the same itch, but it’s an entirely different set of mechanics," he said.

Also important, said Solomon, are the relationships players forge between The Hunter and other heroes. Between missions, heroes gather in The Abbey, a central hub where players can augment heroes' abilities and connect with some of their favorite Marvel characters.

"We want the player to put themselves into this game," said Solomon. "That meant having an avatar, that meant a customizable character both in terms of the way The Hunter looks and the way that they play. We want the player to feel like they’re at the center of the story and they’re standing alongside these characters that they know and love."

Firaxis and 2K said a demo of the gameplay within Midnight Suns will be released on September 1 at the website www.midnightsuns.com.

Marvel-Midnight-Suns.jpg

Marvel-Midnight-Suns.jpg

"It sounds like Midnight Suns will eventually feature 12-13 playable heroes, but these are the members of the game’s roster that have been confirmed so far:"

1. Dr. Strange
  2. Magik
  3. Iron Man
  4. Wolverine
  5. The Hunter
  6. Ghost Rider
  7. Blade
  8. Captain America
  9. Nico
  10. Captain Marvel
  • If the name “The Hunter” doesn’t ring any bells, that’s because they’re the player character that Firaxis created specifically for the purposes of this game (with Marvel’s approval). 

Curious who the other 2-3 will be, and surely there will be an expansion that bring in some more.
Moon Knight would make a lot of sense, a bunch of others.

• 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 8/10/2022 at 8:54 AM, minutemancl said:

Does it look like trash? I think it looks fine, I just don't see why I'd play this over XCOM unless I was a huge Marvel fan and needed to play all the Marvel games.

Yes. Turn based Marvel game based heavily on a card system. Game is basura.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
13 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

Anyone playing this yet? i am thinking i will get it eventually, but maybe wait till a price drop. 

Heard some solid things, only big negatives were it can feel a little platonic fan fic outside of the battles. Be apparently there is a lot there making relationships with the other characters, seen some comparisons to Mass Effect in that department.

I’m maxed out on games right now, I’ll pick it up on sale too in the spring.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 12/2/2022 at 12:54 PM, MikeT14 said:

Anyone playing this yet? i am thinking i will get it eventually, but maybe wait till a price drop. 

Got it for $40 from Gamestop.

It's... fine? Some fun stuff. Since it's a card game, the battle system is not really like XCOM like I had hoped. How else you spend your day is already a little redundant too. I'm a little surprised at the high ratings it got. Again, not a bad game, but not a great one either.