Marvel: Midnight Suns (Firaxis, 2022)

Kiltman

Probably get replay value from NG+ and DLC.

I was tempted to buy this because it's on sale and get the legendary edition, but I don't know. I like Marvel and the characters they put in the game are cool, but idk if $65 is worth it even for the legendary edition.

Friend got me this game and have put in a bit of play (level 8 with my character), it's not bad with how it's set up for cards and combat. A bit fresh experience as the interactive environment and gameplay is unique. I'm a fan of XCOM, and hold it higher than this game, but that's not to say it hasn't been worth playing so far, and I plan to try and beat it. Every time it offers to increase the difficulty I've taken it.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Shockwave said:

Aight it's on sale for $40 I think on PS5. Worth it? I'm a huge Slay the Spire fan and this seems kinda similar with the card aspect. 

Yeah it’s a fun turn base with some Mass Effecty like (platonic) relationships.

A lot of hub world stuff and progression.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, showtime said:

Just a FYI. This game is free to play on PC for this weekend. I found out about it late. I downloaded it on Steam and tried it. This game is way better/more fun that I ever expected it would be.

I knew I’d be into it but I didn’t expect just how much either. It was nice to have last month when I had COVID, didn’t need to be super coherent for the turn base stuff ha.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Kiltman said:

I knew I’d be into it but I didn’t expect just how much either. It was nice to have last month when I had COVID, didn’t need to be super coherent for the turn base stuff ha.

Same. Bought it Friday and I am hooked. Love the overall strategies with the battle cards and how the friendship levels play into everything. I just can't stand all the dialog and drama stuff so I just skip through most of it unless it's a main story mission. Could not care less about Nico's surprise Bday party and whatnot. I do whatever I have to in order to rank up the friendships. But I really just want to get to the next mission. Still haven't gotten Wolverine but I just got Captain America so working on ranking up his cards now. I'm not a huge fan of the Abbey and all the hocus pocus stuff either. I've spent some time running around and finding things but I'm glad it's a mostly optional aspect of the game. 

My character is actually my favorite TBH. I bring her on all the missions. My go to is Hunter and both Captains. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shockwave said:

Same. Bought it Friday and I am hooked. Love the overall strategies with the battle cards and how the friendship levels play into everything. I just can't stand all the dialog and drama stuff so I just skip through most of it unless it's a main story mission. Could not care less about Nico's surprise Bday party and whatnot. I do whatever I have to in order to rank up the friendships. But I really just want to get to the next mission. Still haven't gotten Wolverine but I just got Captain America so working on ranking up his cards now. I'm not a huge fan of the Abbey and all the hocus pocus stuff either. I've spent some time running around and finding things but I'm glad it's a mostly optional aspect of the game. 

My character is actually my favorite TBH. I bring her on all the missions. My go to is Hunter and both Captains. 

I’m glad that stuff is optional for people, yeah. I got a kick out of it but it adds a lot of time to the playthrough.

I think in another playthrough I’d limit just how much time I spent getting everyone’s friendships to the level of their special move and some of the groups. Just to save time.

Cap is great for the block/taunt combo, fact that he does knock backs and AOE attacks is even better. Can pretty much get through an Encounter with him, Hunter and Spidey.

The Hunter is pretty essential for higher difficulties, and it just feels right to have them with all the time. Only time I didn’t was when I made an abbey story choice that left me wounded for a couple days.

On 2/19/2023 at 3:10 PM, Kiltman said:

I bought xcom-2 for 90% off and I really don't like it much. It's not a bad game at all, but I'm having a tough time getting into it. Midnight Suns is WAY better to me, but I know most hardcore x-com fans wouldn't agree.

38 minutes ago, showtime said:

I bought xcom-2 for 90% off and I really don't like it much. It's not a bad game at all, but I'm having a tough time getting into it. Midnight Suns is WAY better to me, but I know most hardcore x-com fans wouldn't agree.

Makes a lot of sense, they kept things a lot quicker and powerful. Not having the ability to miss alone helped that a lot.