A good video on Tomlin

Magnus-Viktor

8 minutes ago, JLambert58 said:

Who?  OC for TCU apparently.  Tell me about him.

actually adapts gameplan to fit opponent.  has produced good to great results using players with limited skillsets but great athleticism to their strengths (see Bryant, Martavis).

Love to run out of 4 wide and shotgun -trips sets keeping the defense off balance.  Not shy to go quick/nohuddle when defense caught in a mismatch, but doesn't rely on it as a gimmick. Not afraid to keep calling same play until defense shows it can stop it.

Rotates players to prevent wear (see Bell, Leveon).  Has creative mind that is ripe for transitioning an NFL team to a more  run and shoot style that the current rules  most benefit.  Would be a good mentor for a mid-talent QB like we will probably get post-BigBen (since even without him, I don't see us drafting top 3 )

On 10/27/2017 at 1:14 PM, warfelg said:

Yup I really thinking it wasn't the lack of a deep threat that held us back, but rater the lack of an option across from Brown that's a threat to do things.

I don't know. Let's look across the league right now and actually ask ourselves how many teams have more talent on offense. Most offensive coordinators would kill for a combo of Brown and Bell with a legit franchise QB. This past week, we finally saw some play action worked into the gameplan. And it was effective! Apparently, Ben hasn't forgotten how to do it and isn't physically incapable.

Brown is a deep threat. Look at the numbers. Not his yards per catch. But the 20+ and 40+ yard plays. You have to devote a safety over the top to him. He's not Hines Ward. Haley's offense simply sucks. It relies almost entirely on winning individual match-ups. It's not creative and it doesn't challenge defenders to think. It's become a running joke among fans that when a WR makes an in-cut, the DB's look shocked. It's not really a joke. You let the WR's the Steelers have just outrun and out-cut DB's, they're going to get open more often than not. You manage to develop an actual play-action attack?

The best I can say for Haley is that there are probably politics involved. Perhaps not even just from above on an organizational level, but beneath him. But this offense is just incoherent and lazy. The talent's there. The talent was frankly there last year. Just about every NFL team works with less. Even when they've been banged up, they've had more than most. They just don't put up the points expected.

What I was going with is a deep threat across from Brown isn't what really sets this offense off.  A deep safety means you still got at least one guy still watching the play in front of him, and that means that Bell and Brown are going to have a harder time breaking small passes for big gains.

A guy like JuJu who can just gets open changes how you have to defend the offense.  He makes you defend all 160 feet of the width of the field.  So now you  got to make your other safety (I'm assuming you bracket Brown with a CB and S), not only worry about the deep pass, but also the entire width of the field because JuJu and the TE's have shown to be able to hurt you sideline to sideline.

What that creates is a bunch of lanes in the defense that creates places for Bell and Brown to take those short handoffs/throws/screens and turn them into big plays.  I think it's why our redzone offense is going to improve as JuJu becomes a better WR.

Don't get me wrong, basically hitting on 50% of passes 20+ yards helps, but JuJu's ability can turn this offense into one that doesn't need to rely on the big play to create points.

Archived