Preseason Week 3 GDT - Las Vegas Raiders at San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

Even though Jimmy only played two drives, thought he looked sharp and confident. Only one pass I had a slight issue with and that was the ball to Sherfield where he could have drove the ball more. But he came back with a strike to Sherfield on the perimeter and completed a 3rd and long to him as well. Last week he looked a little jittery.

Lance had a bad miss on his first attempt and the pass to Jennings. Aside from that he was fine. You can tell when he's allowed to use his legs, he is just so much more confident. Got hurt by a few bad drops but the receivers just need more time with him. Sherfield is his guy and doesn't drop his passes since he's practiced with him from day one of camp. Today's drops weren't even due to him throwing rockets as the receivers just couldn't hold on to the ball. 

All the backs for the most part looked good.

The DL depth is just insane. 

Though Ambry had a terrible tackle attempt, he looked better than Lenoir today. Lenoir missed a few tackles in space and allowed a deep completion when he lost at the LOS. 

Tartt looked like his usual self and cleaned up the mess in front of him. Such a good, sound player. I think at this point he starts with Hufanga coming in on certain packages and I think Clinton-Dix may edge out Wilson for the last spot. 

I think Mitchell should be the kick returner as he just moves at a different speed compared to the rest. 

Wish was awesome and I'm starting to wonder if Hightower just finally let him go and told him to boom it as hard as you can? Our gunners still aren't good and with Sherfield potentially being the 3rd WR, he likely won't be playing on STs. Mitchell can possibly take one of the gunner spots. 

OL was great in both pass protection and run blocking but that could have been more of the Raiders 2nd and 3rd stringers just not being good. 

Final thoughts, this team is LOADED and going to be hard to beat on most weeks but injuries at a few positions can really set them back. But they will be a top 3-4 defense and possibly the best couldn't team in the league. Going to break a lot of teams down late in the games with the physicality.

11-13 wins. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Forge said:

They have a ton of secondary guys too that they are going to have to cut. Could honestly make a toooooooooooon of sense. 

Maybe someone like Tavon Young for Hasty? Young is probably their 4th or 5th corner and he has experience outside and inside. 

I think the thing that's keeping Johnson on our roster is that he can play both inside and outside, he's a vet, and Shanny trusts him with the playbook. If we're going to upgrade over him, the new guy has to be able to play inside and outside, IMO.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 49erurtaza said:

I went Hurd, Jennings.

I’ll go Benjamin and Jennings. Jennings blocks and has looked actually lively with the ball in hands on screens and hasn’t had the worst hands like some folks. Benjamin can actually threaten teams deep, which will be useful even with Lance playing 25-30% of snaps. I think the team is going to take Hurd, but he just doesn’t look like a guy right now physically apart from being big, has displayed not so great hands, and you can’t have a lot of faith in his body. I think the team goes with Hurd and Benjamin over Jennings with Jennings on the PS.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Forge said:

Honestly, trying to figure out why to keep Sanu 

I can see that too. Jennings and Hurd have theoretical upside. Sanu has caught passes without dropping them in practice. And knows how to line up. Those things aren’t a given. 

I think Kyle really wants to start Lance, but he wants Lance to give him the reason to start him. I think once Lance starts getting consistent he's going to start asap. I don't think this has anything to do with Jimmy. This two QB thing is for Lance more then this offense. 

7 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

I think Kyle really wants to start Lance, but he wants Lance to give him the reason to start him. I think once Lance starts getting consistent he's going to start asap. I don't think this has anything to do with Jimmy. This two QB thing is for Lance more then this offense. 

The question is, which is real? The two QB system, or Kyle saying that's possibly not a thing today?

Just went back and watched Russell Wilson’s first start in the NFL. I feel like Trey is more dangerous right now than Wilson was at this point. I think our offensive scheme is much more advanced than the Hawks was back then but still Trey looks better to me. I’m not saying Trey will be better than Russell, because Wilson greatly improved over the years. Still, I think it’s noteworthy to see where other similar players were at this point in their career. Wilson also played way more college games against much better competition that Trey. Trey has some things he needs to work on for sure..I’m still not 100% sold on him. I am encouraged though. I’m excited to see how he progresses. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Forge said:

I didn't see it. I'd much rather give that spot to Griffith or DFF... Or even Harris

Harris is a vile tackler, but at least he can move and recognize pass concepts. Griffith is a little more of the opposite. 

I watched the first half again just to see mainly the run game and how effective it was...And not that it is a surprise, but McGlinchey is REALLY REALLY good in run blocking. He can get out and pull with the best of them...Like all he has to be is decent in pass protection and that would make him a legitimate, GOOD RT. He's that dominant in the run game that being just good in pass protection would make him one of the best at his position. 

Trent is special and he had a lot of fun with some of the blocks he was making lol. Best player on the team! 

• Like 1