Week 8 GDT: LA comes to MA

Deadpulse

Questions of the Game  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Who fares better against the Patriots Defense?

• Matt Ryan
    • Philip Rivers
  2. 2. Who has a bigger day on the ground?

• Dion Lewis
    • Rex Burkhead
    • James White
    • Mike Gillislee
    • James Develin
    • Tom Brady
  3. 3. Are the Chargers more dangerous than the Falcons?

• Yes, Phillip Rivers is more consistent year to year than Matt Ryan
    • No, the Falcons have a better all around offense
    • Yes, their pass rush makes them a tougher matchup for the Pats
    • No, The Falcons have Julio Jones

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/29/2017 at 08:10 PM

20171029_gamepreview_pdcheader_chargers.jpg?itok=PtSKJ3XG&timestamp=1508867976

This week the Patriots host the LA Clipp... I mean Chargers. Things to look out for in this match up:

Joey Bosa versus Nate Solder

We know Nate has been struggling, whether its due to off the field distractions (albeit completely justified distractions) or not, Bosa becomes a serious threat to the offense who also has talent around him. They are fourth in the league in sacks and you have to imagine getting to Brady will be a focus for them. 

The RB Stable vs. Chargers front Seven

So on the flip side of their intimidating pass rush, their run D is one of the leakiest in the league (2nd only to Baltimore) with one of the highest ypc allowed (4.9). Hopefully McDaniels can find the right combo of RB to attack them here and take pressure off of the O-line when it comes to the pass rush. 

Philip Rivers vs. Banged up Secondary

I think Rivers has a better shot at exploiting the injured secondary over Matt Ryan. Especially with his seam weapons in Gates and Henry. While he has no monster like Julio, he has a deeper pool of serviceable to good WR's who can all burn if asked to. Be on notice, there will likely be big plays given up.

Let's get discussion rolling!

@mcmurtry86 @1ForTheThumb @I_GET_SAX@Starless @Iron_man @CP3MVP   @tonyto36 @Troy Brown @ChazStandard @Hunter2_1 @dhunt2402 @childofpudding @bluemushrooms @iothar @Pats#1 

6 hours ago, mcmurtry86 said:

Solder and Cannon might get Brady killed this week.

Otherwise, I like the Pats chances in this one. The Chargers offense is talented but doesn't execute efficiently enough to worry about it too much unless the Pats D regresses

Watching the Chargers offense on a weekly basis, it's like a fur ball of frustration. Yet they just seem to do enough to keep them in most games. It's weird....

I've never thought Rivers is a great QB. Always thought he was way overrated, he's closer to Andy Dalton than he is to Tom Brady IMO.

He'll now come in to Foxboro and put up 450 yards and 4 TD's with 0 INT's...

Chung will need to have a big game up against Hunter Henry. 

Pass rush will be a big concern. Hard to think of a better 1-2 than Ingram and Bosa.

Having Branch back helps, but losing Brown and Hightower may hurt against a team that likes to run. 

I’ve gotten most picks wrong this year with this team, so here’s to a Chargers blowout.

Chargers have 8th best pass D in the league, and Ingram/Bosa have put up nearly 20 sacks between them. So, we'll gameplan to take the sting out of the edges. Draws, quick passing, flats, screens etc. I can't imagine we'll stick to the 5 second developing routes, like vs Saints for example.

I think we'll win but I do think Rivers is gonna put up better numbers against us then Ryan did. I do hope this defense is here to stay but I'm doubtful as we haven't had back to back weeks.

I'm also hoping my buddy Nolan wants to watch the game with me. He's a huge chargers fan. I remained civil when I was watching the Bucs game with my other friend.

Judging from their previous match (vs. Denver) their base pass rushing package is;

DL; Ingram (Wide 9 outside left tackle; very wide, even outside TE in 2ps) / Palepoi (line up in B gap between LT and LG) / Square (A gap, C and RG) / Bosa (Outside RT)

A lot of speed and power rushing, not many exotic plays from what I've seen. 

6 hours ago, TomRalph said:

I've never thought Rivers is a great QB. Always thought he was way overrated, he's closer to Andy Dalton than he is to Tom Brady IMO.

He'll now come in to Foxboro and put up 450 yards and 4 TD's with 0 INT's...

Chung will need to have a big game up against Hunter Henry. 

Rivers would be a HOF lock if he had had a better OL and better coaching. 

He's not in the Brady/Brees/Rodgers/P.Manning tier of recent QB but probably the best of the next tier down. 

Pats fans who excuse Brady when he isn't himself (i.e. merely very good instead of GOAT level) with a crap OL and crap weapon should have no problem giving Rivers his due as a very very good QB. Rivers has been dealt a pretty bad hand in his career. Yes, he had Gates and (for a time) Tomlinson but the rest of that team - including the coordinators and coaches - really held him back. 

1 hour ago, mcmurtry86 said:

Rivers would be a HOF lock if he had had a better OL and better coaching. 

He's not in the Brady/Brees/Rodgers/P.Manning tier of recent QB but probably the best of the next tier down. 

Pats fans who excuse Brady when he isn't himself (i.e. merely very good instead of GOAT level) with a crap OL and crap weapon should have no problem giving Rivers his due as a very very good QB. Rivers has been dealt a pretty bad hand in his career. Yes, he had Gates and (for a time) Tomlinson but the rest of that team - including the coordinators and coaches - really held him back. 

Think he's regressed somewhat this season. Accuracy stats are down, he's making some pretty horrendous throws. Always thought of him as a very accurate passer, especially down field.

32 minutes ago, Pats#1 said:

Hightower out for season....Im crying 

Well, let's try and move forward. Was he playing at full tilt anyway? He was put on the line a lot, so we had to make-do without him being in the middle as often anyway.....

I'm trying. lol.

Archived