Week 8 GDT: @ Philadelphia Eagles - Where blowouts happen

Forge

I believe for what will be the first time in 49er history, we will be 0-8 after this game. I have a hard time seeing any way in which we even really make this a game, much less actually win it. Hard to be excited about it, truth be told. The Eagles could make the claim as the best team in the NFC right now with their 6-1 record and +53 point differential (second best in NFC to the Rams). The Eagles offense is firing on pretty much all cylinders, and while the secondary on defense certainly isn't good, they do initiate a good amount of pressure in the pass rush. Fletcher Cox could have a field day against our interior line, and Brandon Graham is a very underrated edge guy. Staley isn't what he was, and I haven't heard anything on whether or not Brown is likely to play following his concussion. 

The offensive line took a major loss with the injury to Peters, but the rest of the line is still one of the better ones in football. Kelce and Johnson are playing at or around all pro levels, so it may be hard to generate pressure with our depleted defensive front. The eagles are likely to stretch our secondary thin - Wentz spreads the ball around pretty well (with Ertz being his security blanket), so everyone largely needs to be accounted for in the passing game, something I think that we are incapable of doing at this point in time. 

Really, the only thing I'm looking forward out of this game is to see if Foster can actually make it through a full NFL game, what Beathard continues to look like, and whether Defo can continue his all pro like season. Let's see what Sully can do against this offensive line. 

5 minutes ago, Danger said:

Any chance you guys are willing to actually part with Joe Staley?

Its a good question, I think moving forward into next season we expect to compete and we need bookend tackles especially behind Cousins/top rookie QB. So right now I think its a no but if theres a 2nd round pick thrown on the table (maybe injured CB-Sidney Jones with Douglas looking like a stud) I'd be inclined to take it. Its not like he has zero value for us moving forward as long as he remains healthy he can play another 3-5 years. 

This is a dude who's likely having his number retired here, but the same was considered for Bowman so who knows

21 minutes ago, 48 1/2ers said:

Its a good question, I think moving forward into next season we expect to compete and we need bookend tackles especially behind Cousins/top rookie QB. So right now I think its a no but if theres a 2nd round pick thrown on the table (maybe injured CB-Sidney Jones with Douglas looking like a stud) I'd be inclined to take it. Its not like he has zero value for us moving forward as long as he remains healthy he can play another 3-5 years. 

This is a dude who's likely having his number retired here, but the same was considered for Bowman so who knows

I was talking more... immediately. Since Jason Peters went down, Staley is the most sensible name that comes to mind that would make sense in my eyes. You guys seem to be pretty deep into the whole rebuilding phase right now. Not so sure Staley will be in the plans when you guys are winning again.

Sidney Jones I'd have to say no. He was easily the 2nd best corner in this draft and would have likely been first half of first round if not for the injury. Unfortunately we don't have a 2nd round pick, that's something I'd definitely consider shelling out if we had it available.

46 minutes ago, Danger said:

Any chance you guys are willing to actually part with Joe Staley?

Last I heard, you guys would be really tight up against the cap. That being said, I would gouge you guys for him given your situation (understandably), as you're not going to find better, so I'd want at least a 2..but that's just me. I'd be willing to part with him. His cap hit actually goes down on the back end of his deal for the last two years, so that is a something that helps with any trade. I think his base salary is only  between 4-5 million the next two years with a couple of smaller bonuses (roster/workout whatever). 

I have to believe that Lynch and Shanny would be considering it, but I dont' know how likely it is. We should be looking to move several pieces at the deadline - Reid, Staley...at least to test the waters. 

33 minutes ago, 48 1/2ers said:

I think you and I are pretty much on the same page...willing to move him, but it's got to be on our terms, for our price. 

That seems like smoke to me. As in, somewhere there are trade talks going on (a fire).

I would take a first in 2019 for him considering hes probably worth a 2nd and they don't have one next year. Or even their third this year and then a third the following year

Honestly, for as much as I am unsentimental in football...I'd probably ask what Joe wants to be honest. If he wants to stick around, I'd keep him. If he wants to play for a contender again before his career is over, I'd trade him. There are quite a few teams that could use tackle help and are contenders. 

The problem with moving Staley is if we do go with one of the prospects early in the draft, it will be beneficial to keep him. You don't want that particular QB going to a train wreck of an OL. I mean our interior is already just that, but the bookends are rock solid. 

As for this game, expect another game where we don't even attempt to run it. The Eagles likely won't jump on us like the Cowboys did, but should be ahead for damn near the entire game. 

It is still baffling to me that we are in week 8 and Saleh still doesn't use Thomas to rush from the inside. Like what are you waiting for? Now that Armstead is gone, the decision should be easy. Granted, Lynch did miss the game but even then, find a way to get him some inside rushes. Saleh seems overwhelmed and just going on the fly with his decisions. I like the fact he found a way to use all three safeties, but our run defense will suffer because of it. Seems like Colbert really impressed the coaching staff last week and will probably start a SS if Williams can't go as Ward will then slide to NB.

Eagles 27 49ers 13

The problem with moving Staley is if we do go with one of the prospects early in the draft, it will be beneficial to keep him. You don't want that particular QB going to a train wreck of an OL. I mean our interior is already just that, but the bookends are rock solid. 

As for this game, expect another game where we don't even attempt to run it. The Eagles likely won't jump on us like the Cowboys did, but should be ahead for damn near the entire game. 

It is still baffling to me that we are in week 8 and Saleh still doesn't use Thomas to rush from the inside. Like what are you waiting for? Now that Armstead is gone, the decision should be easy. Granted, Lynch did miss the game but even then, find a way to get him some inside rushes. Saleh seems overwhelmed and just going on the fly with his decisions. I like the fact he found a way to use all three safeties, but our run defense will suffer because of it. Seems like Colbert really impressed the coaching staff last week and will probably start a SS if Williams can't go as Ward will then slide to NB.

Eagles 27 49ers 13

Doesn't really make sense to trade Staley if you have a good chance to invest in a young QB. That is how David Carr disease happens. Staley is a good player, and can still play well for a couple more years. If he doesn't want to be here, then maybe try to move him. If he's fine, then don't worry about it. Isn't his current salary very friendly for the team?

2 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

Doesn't really make sense to trade Staley if you have a good chance to invest in a young QB. That is how David Carr disease happens. Staley is a good player, and can still play well for a couple more years. If he doesn't want to be here, then maybe try to move him. If he's fine, then don't worry about it. Isn't his current salary very friendly for the team?

The problem is Joe Staley is at this time 33, He'll be 34 by the time said rookie QB is playing their first game. He might be around a couple years early in the young QB's career, but isn't really going to be there for the long haul.

15 minutes ago, Danger said:

The problem is Joe Staley is at this time 33, He'll be 34 by the time said rookie QB is playing their first game. He might be around a couple years early in the young QB's career, but isn't really going to be there for the long haul.

Like I said a healthy Joe Staley has 3-5 years left, he'll probably digress some but he came out of college as one of the most athletic lineman ever. Seriously check out his HS running back highlights they're incredible lol. 

But like Whitworth for the Rams/Goff, a young QB having confidence that they aren't going to get murdered every dropback is important in their development even if that means Staley is washed up by the time the young QB is ready to contend for a SB at least he's served a purpose in getting us to that goal.

If the price for a trade is right I think everyone here pretty much agrees Staley is available but this isn't a Bowman situation.  

Archived