Week 8 GDT: @ Philadelphia Eagles - Where blowouts happen

Forge

4 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

Doesn't really make sense to trade Staley if you have a good chance to invest in a young QB. That is how David Carr disease happens. Staley is a good player, and can still play well for a couple more years. If he doesn't want to be here, then maybe try to move him. If he's fine, then don't worry about it. Isn't his current salary very friendly for the team?

Given the skyrocketing costs of tackles, yeah, even this year, which is his highest base salary year, is still pretty friendly. The last two years of his deal are ridiculously friendly - like 5.5 cap hits the next two years for everything all inclusive. 

That being said, Staley has regressed considerably the last couple of years. I don't have faith that he's still a competent starting left tackle in two years based on what I'm seeing the last two years from him, which is why I'm amenable to moving him. Right now, I'd say he's maybe an average starting left tackle and that's about it. If the regression keeps up, it two years, he could easily be a below average left tackle. 

The 49ers have given up the most receptions, receiving yards and receiving touchdowns to opposing running backs this year, too 

It's from the fantasy love / hate on ESPN. Obviously, we have some linebacker issues. 

9 hours ago, Danger said:

The problem is Joe Staley is at this time 33, He'll be 34 by the time said rookie QB is playing their first game. He might be around a couple years early in the young QB's career, but isn't really going to be there for the long haul.

True. But I'd rather have Staley there the first couple of seasons. Especially during the rookie year.

Trading Staley is going to be a no for me. Unless we are getting ridiculously good value (think first rounder) we're going to need someone to protect Josh Rosen next year. Maybe Brown could slide over to the left side but frankly, our line sucks as is and Rosen would just get abused with a rookie/rental playing on the right side. It would completely stunt any growth in his rookie year and we really don't need that. 

14 minutes ago, 48 1/2ers said:

What about a Reid for Martavis Bryant swap? 

Ill preface this by saying 'I'm off Bryant...I think the dude is a tool. I can't stand how he's behaving, he's already been suspended for a year, there's just nothing to like about the guy personally. Now,  I wouldn't hate that move if we made it, but I'd find it very hard to root for the guy. Still, cheap, potentially explosive wide receiver under contract for next year, that's great value for a very soon to be free agent. 

I don't want to trade Staley, I think he should be a niner for life, but I realize we must anticipate a life after Staley. I wouldn't trade him for a mid rounder, for sure. And I would only trade him if we feel we have a decent back-up plan. Who are the OL that are likely to be free agents in the offseason? If there's a good T, maybe we could move on already. And if the long term plan is to move Trent Brown to the left side, I'd like Lynch to sign him to an extension right away, while he's still thought of as an up-and-coming RT. If we tell him "You're our LT of the future", it gives him pretty good leverage in negotiations. 

If we trade Staley and draft a QB high, I hope we sign a good free agent OT. I don't want to place a rookie OT in a position where he has to go through growing pains at the same time our rookie QB does (unless we sit the rookie and let BeatHard play some). I also want to get the best Center money can get, or at least invest in one in the draft. I know we hear the staff loves Kilgore, blah blah blah. But C has been one of my highest priorities for a couple of years now, and the staff can still love Kilgore's versatility as a back-up.

If the Eagles want Staley, it's nothing less than a first round pick (it's already going to be a low one, I don't think it's too much to ask). Lesser players go for second rounders, and with their injury situation, they, the beggers, shouldn't be choosers.

So apparently Reid asked the team if he would be there next year playing LB and they told him no. And he's not getting his spot back at SS with Tartt playing so well. This could be the last we see of him in the league.....Not all for football reasons...Actually for zero for football reasons....

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

So apparently Reid asked the team if he would be there next year playing LB and they told him no. And he's not getting his spot back at SS with Tartt playing so well. This could be the last we see of him in the league.....Not all for football reasons...Actually for zero for football reasons....

Just to piggy back on what J said here, this is the quote I saw from Reid. I'd like to think that he is good enough not to be blackballed like Kaep, and his name isn't as "big" in the media circles with regards to the protest, so I'm hopeful he will have a job somewhere. I think he's actually handled the entire protest really well and probably better than Kaep, overall (no pig socks, for example)

"I asked them explicitly, 'Can you at least tell me if I'm going to be here next year to play this position?'" Reid said. "They told me 'no.' ... Right now, I just trust that the film I have at safety is good enough for me to enter free agency with. And just get some film at linebacker, as well."

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Well him spilling the beans to the media that the team basically said that they arent signing him isn't going to entice other teams to sign him...Loose lips sink ships

Archived