Week 8 GDT: @ Philadelphia Eagles - Where blowouts happen

Forge

6 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

The only good components of the OL were our tackles, and both were out for majority of the game. Staley kind of towards the end of the 1st half, but man does Beadles suck. And Fusco. And Tomlinson. And Kilgore....I didn't pay too much attention to Magnuson, but hopefully he doesn't fall into that category either lol. 

This team is years away from competing unfortunately. Been terrible for three years, and it will likely be another two before it changes. The more we suck, the less likely it is Cousins comes to the team. If you were him, why would you want to come to a team like this one? Aside from possibly the money? And even that, some other teams could make a similar offer. 

Edit:

Um, add Magnuson to the terrible list lol. But he needs to be playing inside, not at tackle.

That play in particular was already blown dead at that point, we took a TO and the ref blew the whistle right after the snap, that's why Magnusen doesn't show any effort(still shouldn't let Long sack his QB). So that's harsh on Magnusen but yeah, the O-Line is bad.

Considering Staley's recent performances I was actually leaning towards trading him, but that's off the cards now anyway.

5 hours ago, big9erfan said:

Magnuson should be playing C. In fact they ought to give him some reps there.  It shouldn't be overly hard to outplay Kilgore.

Is it possible Magnuson has had minimal reps at T, ever (with us, at least)? He was an emergency emergency T, it's just unfortunate that our back-up back-up tackle got injured in a game both starters were injured. At one point, I started wondering if we'd simply finish the game with 4 OL on the field. I don't hold anything against Magnuson.

But I'm tired of Kilgore. It doesn't matter who we have at G as long a C is a weak link. I guess if we had two probowl level guards, it wouldn't matter so much who we have at C, but since it's rarely the case with any team, having a decent C is a must. Even better, if you have a probowl C, you can usually get away with lesser guards. But Kilgore isn't it. He's back-up level, that's it. I'm okay with Tomlinson. He's not great, but he wouldn't need to be if we had a good C. LT/C/RT, that's what I'd focus on if I was building a team. Maybe Magnuson is only back-up level too. But at this stage, let's see what he has, because Kilgore isn't the answer. I'm sure I'd rather have Kilgore play RG than Fusco. Let's give Magnuson a shot. What's the worst that could happen? We lose a game?

33 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

That's good to know then because that was terrible lol.

I thought the same thing during the gameday thread, but then it was announced that they called a timeout before the snap. I tried to keep an eye on Magnuson, and nothing stuck out as obviously poor. Nothing really stuck out as obviously good, either. But in any case - he's meant to be an interior lineman. He was a tackle by absolute necessity. 

3 hours ago, Miami49er said:

I know this is a “rebuild” but I’m not happy with this regime at all so far. This offense is horrible. First 0-8 start in franchise history smh. We didn’t have to be this bad in the first year of this regime. It’s like we’re tanking on purpose smh. If we throw the bank at Kirk Cousins next year I’m going to lose it. 

I'm thrilled, to be honest. We all knew the most important player on the team was going to be awful this year (the QB), and they are not really in the "let's play mediocre veterans to try and get some wins" category. They're giving a lot of young guys valuable playing time and evaluating. I like that for the most part. They also made no effort to rebuild a crappy offensive line in year one, as they focused energy on a lot of other areas. Our top young prospect in that regard (Garnett) is out for the year with an injury. So the offensive line was also going to be poor. There also was never really any major offensive skill position players that we added with the exception of Garcon, and he's been just fine.

This was always going to be a LONG rebuild. Baalke left the team devoid of all sorts of talent, and basically lucked into Buckner in a draft where it almost didn't matter who he chose - they'd be successful. Because of that, we've got few long-term pieces on this team and the entire team basically needs to be built from scratch. So it'll take a while.

And next year - it's going to be pretty bad yet again.  

2019 is the year we should be putting it all together. 

17 minutes ago, big9erfan said:

Looks like they thought as little of Baethard's play as we all did and decided they couldn't wait to wrap up a QB of the future since he doesn't likely that CJ will be that guy.

I disagree. I still see BeatHard as our QB of the future. Our Back-Up QB of the future.

5 minutes ago, 48 1/2ers said:

Gilliam and Ward to the IR opening up another couple roster spots, who might be available? Michael Oher is available, or we just bring up Williams at OT. for safety we did work out Jarius Byrd right?

I hope we give Williams a shot, just because. Oher is pretty much a known quantity, and I can't imagine that we would bring him in for anything more than the remainder of this year, you know? And he's not very good anyway. 

I'd be a little surprised if we brought in another safety at the current point in time. Maybe we will, but I wonder if we don't just leave that roster spot for someone like Blair to come off IR. 

Archived