Minshew TRADED to the Eagles

Sad People

20 minutes ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

This was literally what I put in my original post lol. If this doesn't leave the door open to Hurts not starting late in the year.... idk.

If your point is just, "Hurts might suck and if he does maybe the play Minshew" I feel like this is just a waste of time. Of course that could happen.

Obviously, Minshew could start games. The Eagles didn't bring him in for no reason, they think he can play ball.

If you are making the argument that the Eagles brought Minshew in with the plan that he might actually play significant snaps this season, it is just not accurate. There is no question the main goal of this season is to know exactly what the Eagles have in Hurts. The coaches and FO want to be competitive of course, but in all likelihood we are going to be pretty bad. Hurts will have a pretty long leash early in the year. If he is just abysmal all year will he get pulled similar to Wentz last year? I could see it happening, but not until the Eagles are sure in what they have.

My only argument is perception. I hate arguing in hypotheticals of "ya well this could happen". The Eagles brought Minshew in as part of the meme worthy #QBFactory philosophy. They love above average backup QBs and have loved them for decades now. It's just how they operate and how they will continue to operate regardless of who the QB currently is.

Yes, that was my point. The Eagles are one of a very few number of teams that may have a starter who is not established and could very possibly not make it to the end of the season as a starter, and who also don’t have a different QB who would then be penciled in to step in to the evaluation role late in the season, in the way Hurts did last year.

If he wants any play time at all this season (which he does and that’s why we didn’t keep him) the Eagles afford one of the best opportunities for that, barring going to a team with an injury. Most other teams have a starter who there is no reason to believe would be benched, or a young backup QB who is going to get a chance to prove himself if the starter doesn’t do well. 

48 minutes ago, pwny said:

Yes, that was my point. The Eagles are one of a very few number of teams that may have a starter who is not established and could very possibly not make it to the end of the season as a starter, and who also don’t have a different QB who would then be penciled in to step in to the evaluation role late in the season, in the way Hurts did last year.

If he wants any play time at all this season (which he does and that’s why we didn’t keep him) the Eagles afford one of the best opportunities for that, barring going to a team with an injury. Most other teams have a starter who there is no reason to believe would be benched, or a young backup QB who is going to get a chance to prove himself if the starter doesn’t do well. 

I think we all agree the Eagles don't have an established QB right now. Honestly, the Eagles may very well be the best option in the entire league for Minshew's chances to start at some point this year. Although, he will likely only play sometime later in the year if Hurts plays poorly. I think it's a priority for the Eagles see what they have in him this year. 

The Packers have an old QB who if he gets hurt may not be back next year or just plain may not be back next year. (he's also popped his collarbone twice)

The Steelers have the same old guy who has been injured and might not be back.

The Giants have a draft bust at QB and Mike Glennon backing him up

The WFT have a 38 year old journeyman who has played for 8 teams and does not have a winning record on any of them.

The Panthers have a possible draft bust on his second chance.

The Broncos have Teddy (4-11 last year) and Lock (4-9 last year).

The Lions have a guy who the Rams paid a 1st round pick to get rid of.

The Cowboys have a guy with a bad shoulder coming back from a bad leg injury

The Raiders have a QB who has not won in ages with only a 2.5 million dead cap.

The Texans are starting Tyrod Taylor and they drafted a 3rd round QB bust.

This is Miami and Tua

damngina.jpg

I'm not sure the Eagles were the only team where a QB like Minshew might have a chance to play in a 17 game season.

• Like 2

On 8/28/2021 at 10:38 PM, SkippyX said:

https://www.espn.com/fantasy/football/story/_/id/31998529/love-hate-no-regrets-life-fantasy-football

Jalen Hurts, Philadelphia Eagles: Blind résumé time.

Player A: 19.4 fantasy PPG, 165.3 pass YPG, 72.8 rush YPG
Player B: 23.0 fantasy PPG, 229.8 pass YPG, 68.0 rush YPG

Fairly similar, right? You'd rather have Player B, obviously, but it's within the same ballpark. Well, Player B is Jalen Hurts in the four games he was a starter as a rookie last season. Player A represents Lamar Jackson's final four games he started as a rookie in 2018; you know, before he won the MVP (and everyone's fantasy league for them) in 2019.

Is it really? 3.6 PPG seems pretty significant tbh (18.6% increase).

23.0 PPG would have been 7th best last year (Mediocre QB1)
19.4 PPG would have been 12th best last year (QB2 / Low-End QB1 in bigger league) 

This is also choosing to ignore the most obvious point that Lamar was crucified for his rookie year performance (maybe more so than Hurts). 

4 hours ago, Soggust said:

Is it really? 3.6 PPG seems pretty significant tbh (18.6% increase).

23.0 PPG would have been 7th best last year (Mediocre QB1)
19.4 PPG would have been 12th best last year (QB2 / Low-End QB1 in bigger league) 

This is also choosing to ignore the most obvious point that Lamar was crucified for his rookie year performance (maybe more so than Hurts). 

No he wasn't.

He was criticized for having a horrific start to a playoff game.

Some people also said that the reason he was AWESOME in the regular season was because he faced some weak defenses.

You might want to research crucifixion.

5 hours ago, SkippyX said:

No he wasn't.

He was criticized for having a horrific start to a playoff game.

Some people also said that the reason he was AWESOME in the regular season was because he faced some weak defenses.

You might want to research crucifixion.

Awesome in the regular season?

In the 7 games he started his rookie year -

• He had a 58% completion percentage and a 5:3 TD/INT ratio throwing. He averaged 159 YPG throwing.
  • He had 4 more TD's with 4 fumbles lost and added 79 YPG on the ground, but he also carried it 119 times (4.69 ya), so that makes sense.
  • All combined, he averaged 18.63 fantasy PPG during that time, which would have been good for 13th, had he averaged that over the entire year.
  • Against weak defenses, as you noted.

--------

He was considered a "RB" who couldn't play QB. This forum was overwhelmingly calling him a complete bust after his rookie year, as Ravens fans on here will certainly attest.

I like Lamar a lot, but his whole story is how he proved everyone wrong in year 2.

You might want to research Lamar Jackson.

Edited by Soggust

4 hours ago, Soggust said:

Awesome in the regular season?

In the 7 games he started his rookie year -

• He had a 58% completion percentage and a 5:3 TD/INT ratio throwing. He averaged 159 YPG throwing.
  • He had 4 more TD's with 4 fumbles lost and added 79 YPG on the ground, but he also carried it 119 times (4.69 ya), so that makes sense.
  • All combined, he averaged 18.63 fantasy PPG during that time, which would have been good for 13th, had he averaged that over the entire year.
  • Against weak defenses, as you noted.

--------

He was considered a "RB" who couldn't play QB. This forum was overwhelmingly calling him a complete bust after his rookie year, as Ravens fans on here will certainly attest.

I like Lamar a lot, but his whole story is how he proved everyone wrong in year 2.

You might want to research Lamar Jackson.

Still completely wrong.

He was an electrifying runner who was still learning to pass on the NFL level.

He went 6-1 while running for 556 yards and 4 rushing TDs on top of his 82.6 rating.

That's not how a rookie usually plays

Nothing in this world is COLD TAKE proof so who cares if 20 basement GMs did not like him on this forum?