General Offense

onejayhawk

I am converting this thread to one to carry into the season. Post offense related stories or observations that don't fit elsewhere.

Against the Vikings in preseason game #3, Mahomes looked in midseason form. More to the point, he looks like a man with a mission and he's not alone. Consider, for example, the way the team attacked the OL problems. Consider the top to bottom improvement of the carryover personnel. Names like Marcus Kemp, Jody Fortson, Prince Tega Wanogho were around last season, but they were not important.  Pringle was a name, but he has stepped up. There are five new OL starters, three of them rookies. There are new FA at RB and WR and a rookie TE. 

For a Super Bowl team, the roster has had significant change. Of course the Super Bowl was embarrassing, which brings us back to Mahomes having a mission. The whole team from Owner on down seems to have bought in.

What do you think the offense will do? How will the new OL affect everything? How will the retooled receiving corps hold up and will we get away from the deep throwing game? 

Above all, is this the best offense ever for Mahomes? How and why?

J

Edited by onejayhawk

Mahomes will have to adjust his game, but he appears motivated to do that. What gets me excited is the play-action potential of the bigger, more physical OL. Clyde has been working on his receiving skills. McKinnon showed he could catch. Kemp, Pringle, and Fortson give alternatives to Kelce in the middle ranges. All of a sudden we have personnel that Alex Smith would have killed to get. 

Also noteworthy is the possibility of grinding out clock killing drives. Getting the lead is nice. Keeping the lead is even better.

J

Edited by onejayhawk

Obviously the OL was a big concern. Those of us here are aware of how well each position has been addressed. here are a couple of articles in that vein.
https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/2021/08/28/kansas-city-chiefs-offensive-line-flawless-preseason-patrick-mahomes-praise/
https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2021/8/28/22645787/the-biggest-tests-still-remain-but-the-new-chiefs-offensive-line-looks-legit

It's telling how little the OL has played this preseason. In game #3, they played 15 snaps. Game #1 was 11 snaps. the team felt no need to test them further, but the subs had a lot of chances to play. Prince Tega Wanogho made a statement in the preseason games. Yasir Durant also played well. cuts will be difficult.

The first test is Cleveland and Miles Garrett. However, the rest of the DL does not inspire fear. The next best pass rusher is Jadaveon Clowney, an OLB playing DE.

For myself, I want to see the running game in action. If Clyde can be a threat, the whole paly action pass dimension opens.

I know its a couple weeks old but I think Reid has been impressed with how the OL has looked so far. Theyve played very well overall id say in the short time provided. From what it looks like they all take their jobs very seriously in protecting Mahomes and opening up holes in the run game.

Browns are very talented up front though, im hoping they can hold up against it. 

Edited by Chiefer

2 hours ago, Chiefs_5627 said:

Steal of the draft candidate, for sure

This **** is unfair for the rest of the league. Veach acquired maybe the most offensive line talent in a single offseason ever…. And then drafted this kid in the 6th round who is better than all of them.

I think 20-0 is a real possibility.

4 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

THIS. I would like to see more 4 TE sets lol. Not because I necessarily think it will work out good, but just cause it's cool as hell lol :D 

It's hard to say.

I'll throw out 1150 rushing, 60 receptions for 500 yards, 97 yards per game from scrimmage. The big change will be rushing TD because of the new OL, 10+. It's not quite a Christian McCaffrey season, but sort of like that. If he stays healthy he should make the Pro Bowl.