General Offense

onejayhawk

Meanwhile, the Kansas City Chiefs have looked into [Marlon] Mack, too. Clyde Edwards-Helaire is expected to miss extended time because of a knee injury suffered Sunday, so perhaps they add Mack to pair with Darrel Williams and Jerick McKinnon.”

Source

I liked Mack coming out. But I don't want to give up draft capital for a rental. We need the draft picks for rookie contracts. Give me Gore off the practice squad please.

• Like 1

What is up with Mahomes interceptions? 

A lot of tipped passes, and "catchable" balls that aren't caught.

What is more worrisome is that the League seems to have figured out his weakness: Present him with a Double-high Safety defense. Tampa Bay used it in the SB. Now almost everyone is using it.

The way to beat that is to have a good running game. We don't have it. So Mahomes is forced to be patient with the passing game. Dink and Dunk. That's not his style.

Edited by mayanfootball
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Chiefer said:

What is up with Mahomes interceptions? Our Golden Boy looking a lot more silver and copper underneath that gold paint lately

His footwork was atrocious this past week.   Neither INT were his fault,  but there were 4 or 5 passes that were just oooof throws.  

Usually he can throw off balance,  but he needs to go back to the basics for a little bit.   Looks very uncomfortable throwing from the pocket 

1 hour ago, mayanfootball said:

A lot of tipped passes, and "catchable" balls that aren't caught.

What is more worrisome is that the League seems to have figured out his weakness: Present him with a Double-high Safety defense. Tampa Bay used it in the SB. Now almost everyone is using it.

The way to beat that is to have a good running game. We don't have it. So Mahomes is forced to be patient with the passing game. Dink and Dunk. That's not his style.

1 minute ago, RedGold said:

His footwork was atrocious this past week.   Neither INT were his fault,  but there were 4 or 5 passes that were just oooof throws.  

Usually he can throw off balance,  but he needs to go back to the basics for a little bit.   Looks very uncomfortable throwing from the pocket 

While its reassuring that theyre not all on him doing no look passes into traffic, it doesnt sit well with me that our half a billion dollar man cant adjust.

This “Buccaneers blueprint” has been going on since the 9ers SB. Its not like this is anything new, double safety, double Hill and Kelce, keep everything in front of you. Been going on for over a year now, still cant play well against it.

Reid needs to adjust his scheme, he just expect Pat to take over each week. Wonder if hes getting bored in his old age.

17 minutes ago, kingseanjohn said:

I’d rather have released Kemp. We also signed Elijah McGuire to the practice squad. So without another move, Fountain is gone. 

I imagine special teams made the difference. Neither really got any PT on offense, but Kemp leads the team in special teams snaps, while Fountain has none there.

4 hours ago, Chiefer said:

What is up with Mahomes interceptions? Our Golden Boy looking a lot more silver and copper underneath that gold paint lately

I think it's a mix. Of the 6, half have been the luck just finally going the other way. Kemp and Hill both had drops tip up for INTs, and then the one by the DE on Sunday night. All 3 of those are the kind of thing we've honestly gotten a bit lucky with in recent years, save for the Miami game last year. That luck always turns eventually. Though better now than late in the year, I suppose. Two were definitely on Mahomes doing too much. The one falling down and the deep shot down the right side to Kelce. I'd be lying if I said I remembered the 6th.

2 hours ago, kingseanjohn said:

I liked Mack coming out. But I don't want to give up draft capital for a rental. We need the draft picks for rookie contracts. Give me Gore off the practice squad please.

Depends on the cost. I wouldn't complain at all if it's like a 6th. Anything 4th or higher, no thank you.

6 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

One thing that is not going wrong is the OL. There are some startup issues, but it has done its part. Creed Humphrey is rating out as elite by PFF. The other two rookies are pretty good, too. 
https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/2021/10/13/kansas-city-chiefs-creed-humphrey-pro-football-focus-top-graded-nfl-center/

Which is why I can’t understand why we can’t run? Is it all CEH’s seemingly terrible vision? 

2 hours ago, Mizter_Clean10 said:

Which is why I can’t understand why we can’t run? Is it all CEH’s seemingly terrible vision? 

I feel like sometimes we try to force the run to set up the pass when we should be passing to set up the run and vice versa. That isn’t the only issue but it’s one thing I’ve noticed occasionally. 

Edited by kingseanjohn
Typo
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Mizter_Clean10 said:

We're 5th in yards per attempt and 7th in rushing yards. They can run just fine. CEH's 4.7 YPA is ahead of most of the league's top backs, save for Elliott and the Cleveland duo. Though even our line doesn't compare to Cleveland's. But, the running game was doing quite well prior to Buffalo, where Mahomes's numbers kind of saved that one statistically.

There are some timing issues. Reid has always had some really weird pacing as a play caller with when he runs. He likes running way too much on 2nd and long and 1st and 10. As good as he is about staying aggressive on 3rd and long when other coaches would run give up plays, he goes crazy conservative on 2nd and long, for whatever reason. But he's done that since his Philly days.

But generally, the run game has been a good bit above league average.

The OL you don't hear about is Lucas Niang. Lice coach Heck had some words. We may have trouble paying Orlando Brown for 2022. Niang gives us the option of replacing a RT or swing OT, rather than a strict LT. 
https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/2021/10/15/kansas-city-chiefs-andy-heck-impressed-praises-lucas-niang-development/

Lucas (Niang) has come a long way in a short amount of time. He works hard. He’s another guy that when we talk about things we want to see start showing up, he’s working on it. I think he’s a very talented player. I love the way a guy like him uses his hands. That’s something that’s hard to teach. A guy is either going to use them, or he’s not. He’s got a natural punch. He’s a big, firm pass protector, so I like Lucas a lot.

And more praise for Creed Humphrey. It's something to consider the core of Thuney, Humphrey, Smith and Niang is locked in for three more years.
https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2021/10/15/22727389/kansas-city-chiefs-offensive-line-coach-andy-heck-praises-center-creed-humphreys-alpha-mentality

PFF recently named him #1 among all Cs. Heck's comment.

Creed’s done a great job. I think one of the best things — besides being a big, strong, physically talented guy — is he’s very smart. He’s a smart football player. He’s a smart person and he’s got a high football IQ. He’s really able to take in a lot of information and he’s got it on the first shot. He’s got good vision. As you’re learning different coverages — and different disguises — he’s able to take something you’re describing to him, picture it on his head, and recognize it when he sees it on film. As opposed to many of us — who might need to have that described, see it on tape, see it in a walkthrough, miss it once in practice. He gets it right away and that really helps him play fast and strong quicker.

Humphrey is going to the Pro-Bowl as a rookie, unless he gets hurt. The question is whether he's All-Pro. It's something to think about, that Creed was the third C drafted.

Edited by onejayhawk