General Offense

onejayhawk

16 hours ago, kingseanjohn said:

Coaches need to execute better play calling as well. Just saying that they call a running play doesn't excuse the formation and type of running play they call. They aren't all equal. We built more of a power OL and we're still calling plays like it isn't. Plus, outside of the opening scripts, we're still calling plays to do what we want versus what the defense is giving us and that's a huge issue.

It was nice to see more of a commitment to the run against the raiders, i think every drive had at least a couple runs. Wasnt just a ratio percentage at the end of the game. 

The shotgun runs actually started to work because they tired the defense out and started opening holes. What happens when you actually commit to the run, even your bad RB plays will work at the end of the game against a tired defense.

Play calling was pretty much the same,     I don't doubt we would have ran more in other games..  if guys were making the plays in the passing game to sustain drives.    

Even the screens,  we had called in previous games,     this game they finally seemed to gel.   

I do wish Gore would take some more of the early work,    and give Williams   the snaps McKinnon is taking in the passing game.    Save from the long run when the Raiders had given up,   McKinnon goes down on first contact nearly every touch.

I like that word--gel. Take the first scoring drive, 11 plays, almost six minutes, TD. There were only three rushes, but there was only one deep pass and it was incomplete. The rest was play action dinks and dunks. The longest was a 22 yard screen pass to Darrell Williams. Here is the whole drive.

7 Yard Pass (8:36) (Shotgun) P.Mahomes pass short middle to T.Kelce 
5 Yard Pass (8:03) (Shotgun) P.Mahomes pass short left to Da.Williams 
5 Yard Run (7:33) (Shotgun) D.Gore right guard
Pass Incomplete (6:56) (Shotgun) P.Mahomes pass incomplete deep left
11 Yard Pass (6:49) (Shotgun) P.Mahomes pass short left to T.Kelce
22 Yard Pass (6:14) P.Mahomes pass short right to Da.Williams
19 Yard Pass (5:28) P.Mahomes pass short right to T.Kelce
8 Yard Pass (4:48) (Shotgun) P.Mahomes pass short left to T.Hill
1 Yard Run (4:11) (Shotgun) Da.Williams left tackle 
3 Yard Run (3:35) Direct snap to B.Bell
Touchdown Chiefs (2:56) P.Mahomes pass short left to T.Hill for 8 yards, TOUCHDOWN

I just noticed that the two long plays had Mahomes under center. 

J

Edited by onejayhawk

2 hours ago, RedGold said:

Play calling was pretty much the same,     I don't doubt we would have ran more in other games..  if guys were making the plays in the passing game to sustain drives.    

Even the screens,  we had called in previous games,     this game they finally seemed to gel.   

I do wish Gore would take some more of the early work,    and give Williams   the snaps McKinnon is taking in the passing game.    Save from the long run when the Raiders had given up,   McKinnon goes down on first contact nearly every touch.

Play calling was definitely not the same. Otherwise Darrel Williams doesnt have 9 catches for over 100 yards. Mahomes regualrly got the ball out quickly on predetermined dump off routes. He was taking a max one hitch before a majority of his throws, the playcaling was definitely geared closer to the LOS.

A lot more intermediate routes, drags and wheels to help actually get guys open. Not just deep go and crossers into stacked coverage.

Reid even had Kelce chip DEs to help Wylie and run short routes that got major YAC, which i dont think ive ever seen in this offense. He actively designed plays to get Kelce open, instead of expecting TK to just win and outexecute the other guy every play.

Execution was great, but they executed so well because the coaches had a great game plan and scheme geared up.Was pretty to watch.

Edited by Chiefer

5 minutes ago, Chiefer said:

Play calling was definitely not the same. Otherwise Darrel Williams doesnt have 9 catches for over 100 yards. Mahomes regualrly got the ball out quickly on predetermined dump off routes. He was taking a max one hitch before a majority of his throws, the playcaling was definitely geared closer to the LOS.

A lot more intermediate routes, drags and wheels to help actually get guys open. Not just deep go and crossers into stacked coverage.

Reid even had Kelce chip DEs to help Wylie and run short routes that got major YAC, which i dont think ive ever seen in this offense. He actively designed plays to get Kelce open, instead of expecting TK to just win and outexecute the other guy every play.

Execution was great, but they executed so well because the coaches had a great game plan and scheme geared up.Was pretty to watch.

But it really was...   Seriously go watch the video, you posted from the previous pages.    These hitches,  intermediate routes,  dump offs were WIDE open in previous weeks..   Mahomes just didn't go to them.    And when he did,  they were dropped/fumbled.

Where Mahomes chooses to go,  isn't part of the play calling.    This week was just Mahomes making better decisions,    and we finally quit making mistakes.

• Like 1

Wylie did OK. Dallas has a better overall defense, but not a better edge rush, especially with Gregory out or limited. 

I don't think the play calling was to protect Wylie. As Collingsworth noted, they have been talking about this for months. The first scoring drive was 89 yards, all short passes and runs. The Raider defense ran out of juice in the second half and that drive was a big reason. 

J

1 hour ago, onejayhawk said:

Does anyone have access to PFF grades on Wylie's game? It's behind a paywall. 

BTW he played every snap. 

J

next game, watch him every play.

i did that in last game, and it was fairly funny most of the time, even when the plays worked despite him

• Like 1

On 11/15/2021 at 10:38 AM, onejayhawk said:

Wylie did OK. Dallas has a better overall defense, but not a better edge rush, especially with Gregory out or limited. 

I don't think the play calling was to protect Wylie. As Collingsworth noted, they have been talking about this for months. The first scoring drive was 89 yards, all short passes and runs. The Raider defense ran out of juice in the second half and that drive was a big reason. 

J

We definitely gameplanned for the Raiders rush particularly with chips from the TE on Crosby because Wylie is terrible and needs all the help.

Wylie also held the majority of the game. Lucky for us the refs stayed out of calling holds for either team. 

I will say there was one play where he reset his feet and handled the rush well. He had a few good plays interspersed with a lot of help and holding to get through the game.

14 hours ago, Malfatron said:

next game, watch him every play.

i did that in last game, and it was fairly funny most of the time, even when the plays worked despite him

You pointing out his play was hilarious because i was trying to ignore it that whole game. 

On 11/15/2021 at 10:31 AM, RedGold said:

But it really was...   Seriously go watch the video, you posted from the previous pages.    These hitches,  intermediate routes,  dump offs were WIDE open in previous weeks..   Mahomes just didn't go to them.    And when he did,  they were dropped/fumbled.

Where Mahomes chooses to go,  isn't part of the play calling.    This week was just Mahomes making better decisions,    and we finally quit making mistakes.

The RB has always been wide open due to our deep passing attack, the difference is that they werent the first read on play calls. They were always the checkdown. Which didn’t maximize their potential in the offense. Against the Raiders they actually were the first read on a lot of passes.

A lot of short passes were the first read, Like within two seconds of the snap, almost like it was predetermined by the guy actually calling it on offense.

Ive always thought who determines the first read is who called the play not the QB. QB doesnt just decide the RB is the first read, hes got a set list, and goes through his progression. 

Coaching goes hand in hand execution as much as players, otherwise we dont go 1-15 back in 2012.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Chiefer said:

You pointing out his play was hilarious because i was trying to ignore it that whole game.       Made the GEN thread worth it,  AMAZING WORK

The RB has always been wide open due to our deep passing attack, the difference is that they werent the first read on play calls. They were always the checkdown. Which didn’t maximize their potential in the offense. Against the Raiders they actually were the first read on a lot of passes.

A lot of short passes were the first read, Like within two seconds of the snap, almost like it was predetermined by the guy actually calling it on offense.

Ive always thought who determines the first read is who called the play not the QB. QB doesnt just decide the RB is the first read, hes got a set list, and goes through his progression. 

Coaching goes hand in hand execution as much as players, otherwise we dont go 1-15 back in 2012.

I don't think the play caller is calling the reads.     That's on the QB,  to determine presnap when he's reading the defense.      I mean,  I don't know that for certain.. but it would seem wild to me that a play caller is calling the reads,  before even reading the defense.     Heck,  even in HS it was our QB's job to make his reads after seeing the defense.   What's the point of all the motions, if our reads are already predetermined?   

I'm guessing Reid/Mahomes/Kafka   had some long film sessions about what reads to check   within each coverage.