5 seconds to go, down 2, on your opponent's 23, and your kicker is hurt

Apparition

What do you do?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. What do you do?

• Attempt the kick
    • Try for the TD

I find it hard to believe there isnt some random dude on every roster who can kick a FG decently well who played Soccer as a kid or something. If thats the Punter or the 5th string WR. There has to be somebody on each team that could give a 40 yard FG a 30% chance.

OBJ in pregame warmups blasts FGs from a decent range just screwing around because he has a soccer background. Every team has to have one of those type of guys so Im going fo rit.

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 1

Justin Reid of the Texans was just the kick off guy in the preseason. On his second one he even made the tackle lol.

Didn't Chad Johnson kick in the NFL?
I know some QBs have punted. I don't think an emergency kick would be a big deal for the mass majority of professional punters.

edit: also George Blanda became a kicker when he was done playing QB (and some while still being QB, and I think always was an emergency QB even when he was primarily a kicker)

Edited by Trojan

On 8/29/2021 at 3:44 AM, Apparition said:

For the record, the longest successful kick by a non-kicker in modern NFL history was 39 yards by Packers LB John Anderson in 1979.

edit: I guess that number didn't include punters kicking? I know Scifres made a 40-yarder back in 2011.

Jake Bailey would smash that, dude :D 

On 8/28/2021 at 10:44 PM, Apparition said:

For the record, the longest successful kick by a non-kicker in modern NFL history was 39 yards by Packers LB John Anderson in 1979.

edit: I guess that number didn't include punters kicking? I know Scifres made a 40-yarder back in 2011.

i remember a game 15+ years ago where the Titans punter nailed multiple FGs against the Raiders in a reg season game. hentrich or something like that

edit: yep. craig hentrich

Edited by Turnobili
  • Like 1

I go for the FG unless the weather is super nasty. 

I'm no kicker and never played soccer, but I can kick a football about 30 yards downfield on a dry, sunny day. My form sucks, so hopefully I'm center-field. 

That being the case, I'd be surprised if there weren't a few guys on the roster who could attempt a fighting chance at a 40 yard FG. 

If the weather was awful, I don't see the point in putting someone out there to do something they usually don't. That seems like conceding defeat outside of a hope and prayer, but with less realistic chance than a Hail Mary type of play. 

Regardless, I need to know three things:

What down is it?

How many timeouts do I have left? 

Is Doug Flutie around?

If it's 4th down, weather will influence my call. 

If it's 3rd, I might try a quick as hell play to shorten the field a bit be it a super quick pass to the sideline or a dive play with the direction to the RB to gtf down ASAP and call timeout. 

If Flutie is around, Drop Kick it for the novelty and move on. 

1 hour ago, ronjon1990 said:

I go for the FG unless the weather is super nasty. 

I'm no kicker and never played soccer, but I can kick a football about 30 yards downfield on a dry, sunny day. My form sucks, so hopefully I'm center-field. 

That being the case, I'd be surprised if there weren't a few guys on the roster who could attempt a fighting chance at a 40 yard FG. 

If the weather was awful, I don't see the point in putting someone out there to do something they usually don't. That seems like conceding defeat outside of a hope and prayer, but with less realistic chance than a Hail Mary type of play. 

Regardless, I need to know three things:

What down is it?

How many timeouts do I have left? 

Is Doug Flutie around?

If it's 4th down, weather will influence my call. 

If it's 3rd, I might try a quick as hell play to shorten the field a bit be it a super quick pass to the sideline or a dive play with the direction to the RB to gtf down ASAP and call timeout. 

If Flutie is around, Drop Kick it for the novelty and move on. 

Yeah if it's windy, I'm slinging the ball or doing a trick play or something to score (has to be a scoring shot, because no time for another play)

If it's anything but windy/rainy - someone is kicking that ball lol