Jets trade for DE Shaq Lawson

Bobby816

I think we could of possibly brought in a more dynamic pass rusher but when you consider the draft capital given up and Houston taking on the cash then it’s a no brainier of a decision. At least we know we have a starter opposite JFM now and can utilise Huff sparingly as he develops and not demand too much from him. 

https://jetsxfactor.com/2021/08/29/ny-jets-shaq-lawson-skill-set/

Lawson is signed into 2022. The Texans will take on $5.3 million of his $10.8 cap hit next year, meaning he will count only $5.5 million on the Jets’ cap sheet. In 2021, his cap hit will be $1.5 million.

That may mean Jets have no reason to cut Lawson after this season.  Texans, on other hand, are hoping Jets dump him.

59 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I don't think anyone now thinks we got a regular 10 sack guy. But he's an upgrade from what we had since we were thin at DE with the Carl Lawson injury.

Absolutely, he is better than anyone we have at DE on the roster now. He was a first round draft pick of the Buffalo Bills. And we got him for next to nothing.

23 hours ago, ekill08x said:

He’s really not very good. He’s not a pass rusher.

He's actually above average both in pressure rate and run defense so you could do much worse.  Not nearly the juice you want in a premier edge but he's really solid.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Rockice_8 said:

He's actually above average both in pressure rate and run defense so you could do much worse.  Not nearly the juice you want in a premier edge but he's really solid.  

He’s 27 and we’ll hopefully get Carl in too form after rehab (hope being the key part). And they’d actually compliment each other well. I like it Bc it’s not just a rental and bandaid. We got an above average 27yr old at a position we need. Pretty much not making edge a weakness for us. I’m confident that 1 if not more of JFM, Huff and Lawson look good enough to start opposite Carl next year.

13 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

He’s 27 and we’ll hopefully get Carl in too form after rehab (hope being the key part). And they’d actually compliment each other well. I like it Bc it’s not just a rental and bandaid. We got an above average 27yr old at a position we need. Pretty much not making edge a weakness for us. I’m confident that 1 if not more of JFM, Huff and Lawson look good enough to start opposite Carl next year.

I agree to an extent but my guess is the JD uses one of our 1st rounders on a premier pass rusher still.  Lawson hopefully bounces back and Shaq, Huff and JFM are good depth but this defense runs through the pass rush.  With JFM better suited inside JD is not going to want to risk his edge depth again.  Even Lawson before the injury was probably looking at a 60% snap rate.  Saleh always keeps his DL fresh so we need depth there.  Now if you add a top edge to the Lawson's and Huff with a sprinkle of JFM you got something there.

Now you are two deep at every DL spot with above average players assuming Huff gets there and we haven't even mentioned guys like Blair or Phillips or Marshall yet.

I think with how JD continued to add pass rushers this off-season is a sign that Saleh wants a scary DL to set the tone for his defense.  We have the capital and we don't have glaring holes outside of CB so I really think we are in the mix for a top pass rusher next year.  That and achilles injuries are never a sure thing to come back from.  Having that insurance is a must.

Edited by Rockice_8

I love the pickup because it was necessary but I have tempered expectations. Lawson’s career stats are a slight upgrade to Jordan Jenkins time here.  Jenks had a couple more sacks 20 v 17.5 but less pressures 50 v 71. Time span about the same. 

36 minutes ago, xrade said:

I love the pickup because it was necessary but I have tempered expectations. Lawson’s career stats are a slight upgrade to Jordan Jenkins time here.  Jenks had a couple more sacks 20 v 17.5 but less pressures 50 v 71. Time span about the same. 

Also, I expect Lawson to generate a lot of production in that system than Jenkins would be.

7 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

Also, I expect Lawson to generate a lot of production in that system than Jenkins would be.

Hence the reason for my tempered expectations. If he plays at the level he always has, it is what I expect and I won’t be disappointed. If he, somehow, exceeds those expectations, I will be thrilled.  I just don’t want to get too caught up in the system hype just yet. 

8 minutes ago, xrade said:

Hence the reason for my tempered expectations. If he plays at the level he always has, it is what I expect and I won’t be disappointed. If he, somehow, exceeds those expectations, I will be thrilled.  I just don’t want to get too caught up in the system hype just yet. 

I have and I hate that.😉