Vikings and Harrison Smith agree to an extension

Forge

Lot's of comments about his age - which is fair - but I'd wait to judge this deal until we see how he plays with a healthy and overall better defense. He was still top 5 at his position after "declining", and is the unquestioned engine/heart/soul/whatever word you want to use of the defense. I've got a feeling that the contract will have been worth it in the end.

• Like 1

It's a good contract to make sure Harrison Smith retires as a Viking. No need to worry about one our greatest players like Aaron Rodgers playing for another team next season.

Smith wants to retire a Viking. His wife is freaking grougeous. They love Minnesota!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Smith isn't the one keeping them from a Super Bowl.  He's a legacy Viking.  I think it's cool that they locked him up.  

the broader point remains: A team will struggle even more to be a super bowl team if they hand out contracts that aren't justified by play.

harrison smith is such a smart and versatile player that he is a tough player for the vikings to replace. he allows them to play a certain way that they otherwise wouldn't be able to, even if you replaced him with another talented safety.

the money is a lot but he's earned it and it sounds like there won't be much guaranteed money after the 2022 season anyways.

11 hours ago, SBLIII said:

don't the Vikings realize they have no title window?

They need to get rid of Cousins, get a QB on a rookie deal and get younger overall. Re-signing a 32 year old albeit elite safety isn't doing it.

My guess is that, while Rick Spielman and Mike Zimmer would certainly like to win a Super Bowl, this signing was as much about helping them keep their own jobs for a while longer as it was for winning a Super Bowl.  Either way, I think it was a good move.   

5 hours ago, incognito_man said:

In no case is this worth it if the goal is to win a Super Bowl IMO. 

The Vikes aren’t winning a super bowl until Kirk Cousins is replaced in what will surely be by a draft pick. By that time that draft pick is developed and looking for a new contract, this deal is irrelevant. Point is, this move has less to do with being competitive for a super bowl and more to do with keeping what has been a strong roster together. Could they get lucky and get hot at the right moment, maybe. That seems to be the plan with the current team, I just don’t see how this contract ultimately hinders the ability to replace Cousins if you’re talking about needed moves to win a super bowl. Zimmer, Spielman and Wilf aren’t going to go for a straight rebuild, they’d rather build a respected organization that takes care of their own. Smith is one of those guys.

The Vikes has some bad drafts from 16-20 so there isn’t many long term deals needing to be completed. Brian O’Neill for sure is one that needs to get done.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, incognito_man said:

the broader point remains: A team will struggle even more to be a super bowl team if they hand out contracts that aren't justified by play.

What contract that has been given isn't justified by play (outside of Cousins, since that's the easy one to call out)?