Roster Cuts and final 53 man roster

Sllim Pickens

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/32113209/source-detroit-lions-release-veteran-wr-breshad-perriman

https://www.prideofdetroit.com/2021/8/29/22646967/2021-detroit-lions-roster-cuts-tracker-latest-news-updates

Cuts:

Breshard Perriman

Tyrell Crosby

Mike Ford

Dan Skipper

Victor Bolden

Damien Ratley

Evan Heim

Miles Brown

Jahlani Tavai

Craig Reynolds

Geronimo Allison

Bruce Hector

I am shocked we cut Crosby.  Figured we would at least flip him for a late round pick or something.  Sounds like we will be watching the waiver wire for OL help per DC. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/32113209/source-detroit-lions-release-veteran-wr-breshad-perriman

https://www.prideofdetroit.com/2021/8/29/22646967/2021-detroit-lions-roster-cuts-tracker-latest-news-updates

Cuts:

Breshard Perriman

Tyrell Crosby

Mike Ford

Dan Skipper

Victor Bolden

Damien Ratley

Evan Heim

Miles Brown

I am shocked we cut Crosby.  Figured we would at least flip him for a late round pick or something.  Sounds like we will be watching the waiver wire for OL help per DC. 

The Crosby Cut surprised me also.  Matt Nelson played pretty well at RT but I am not sure he is that good at LT.  He is still developing though.  Time will tell if they get that decision correct.

12 hours ago, Nnivolcm said:

Seeing Perriman cut gives this staff a little more credibility imo. 

I did wonder "do we have a 2nd Tyrell Crosby?" for half a tick when I saw his name on the list. Big surprise. 

Agreed on both comments. The staff isnt sticking with guys because of money or preconceived ideas about them.  Crosby didn't play well, just because he had some swing tackle hype, they said why keep the money on the books when he doesn't look like it to us.   Same with Perriman.  They gave him guaranteed money but didn't let that dictate their assessment of his talent and impact.  I'd much rather keep youth than vets that aren't much better if any. 

Detroit Lions claim kicker Austin Seibert, wide receiver KhaDarel Hodge off waivers

Seibert, 24, was a fifth-round pick to the Browns out of Oklahoma in 2019. He enjoyed a solid rookie season, connecting on 25 of 29 attempts with a long of 53 yards. His leash wasn’t too long, though, with a missed field goal and extra point costing him his job in Week 1 of last season.

Hodge signed with the Los Angeles Rams as an undrafted free agent out of Prairie View A&M for those looking for ties to the front office in Detroit. The 6-foot-2 receiver has appeared in 39 games with the Rams and Browns across three years, catching 17 passes for 273 yards and no touchdowns. 

Lions release TE Darren Fells, S Dean Marlowe

Many—ourselves included—believed the Lions would create these extra roster spots by placing a couple players on injured reserve. Quarterback Tim Boyle and defensive tackle Da’Shawn Hand appear to be the most likely candidates. However, because the Lions were awarded two waiver claims, the corresponding roster moves had to be made before 4 p.m. ET.

If the Lions want Boyle or Hand to be eligible to return to play this year, then need to be placed on injured reserve after today’s 4 p.m. ET deadline.

So why choose Fells and Marlowe? Well, they just so happen to be some of the older players on the roster who are not eligible to hit the waiver wire. Players with four or more years of experience in the NFL go straight to free agency, meaning anyone can sign them immediately. If the Lions chose a younger player, they would lose them if another team put in a claim.