2021 Defensive Thread

vegas492

22 minutes ago, ifeelasleep said:

all these hopes and projections put on Gary but Z has been the critical piece in our pass rush, he was sorely missed on week 1 and he will be until he comes back.

Great insight that we will miss the pass rush abilities of a guy who has been double digit sacks each year since he's been here. 

You act as though the 'hopes and projections' are based on no anecdotal evidence. Gary was a force at the end of last year. The signs point to a massive year three leap.  

17 minutes ago, ifeelasleep said:

yeah sure im captain obvious, but banking on gary being a force is naive and i read that all summer through the forum, he is a young player with potential and a limited sample size. Our pass rush looks weaker by the week.

It's why we need to resign both Smith's. I've said this before and I'll say it again: Garvin has not panned out and we should've gone EDGE somewhere in the draft this year. Next year's CB class is very deep on the top end it looks like and FWIW TDN has 8 with a 1st round ranking and 10 more in the overall top-100 at the moment. EDGE? 14 guys, but most are 4-3 guys who will predictably fall as a result.

5 hours ago, Old Guy said:

The reason doesn't matter, the result does. He's been awful and needs to be replaced ASAP! 

It kind of does matter, though.

Not in the bottom line, the quality of King's play, that may be the same either way (ie not good), but in how rude or dismissive we are as fans. It is all too easy to see the players as mere counters to be moved around.

I am far kinder in how I think about a player that is slowed through injury, compared to one who merely gives half-hearted effort.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive

1 hour ago, Old Guy said:

Great insight that we will miss the pass rush abilities of a guy who has been double digit sacks each year since he's been here. 

You act as though the 'hopes and projections' are based on no anecdotal evidence. Gary was a force at the end of last year. The signs point to a massive year three leap.  

53 minutes ago, ifeelasleep said:

yeah sure im captain obvious, but banking on gary being a force is naive and i read that all summer through the forum, he is a young player with potential and a limited sample size. Our pass rush looks weaker by the week.

Eesh. Relax fellas. 

So does anyone else have access to the All-22 yet?  Because that long TD to Harris is a weird play to watch.  Both King and Black gear down unexpectedly right before Winston throws it; King looks sort of like he's expecting Harris to take it back to the corner and he goes to play bracket coverage before realizing they're both out of position.  Granted this is all from memory of a single watch of it, and I can't say I'm completely confident in what the coverage called even is. 

That being said, King only gave up one other completion aside from this play; feel like it's weird how much he's getting dragged for what was a single play at the end of a blowout loss.

1 hour ago, thrILL! said:

When did Z get hurt?  This summer during camps?  In the weight room?  It sucks to come into a new season already hurt.  I was looking fwd to seeing him wreck shop early and often.

Must have happened during the offseason. 

Gary is gonna have to step up. 

17 hours ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

It kind of does matter, though.

Not in the bottom line, the quality of King's play, that may be the same either way (ie not good), but in how rude or dismissive we are as fans. It is all too easy to see the players as mere counters to be moved around.

I am far kinder in how I think about a player that is slowed through injury, compared to one who merely gives half-hearted effort.

Agree, but this is a results oriented business and he's not producing the result we need. We need better out of that position so let's give Stokes a go. I don't hate Kevin King, I hate the way he's playing. 

Through two weeks the defense has been rather offensive in the worst way. 

We still need: 

- A coordinator who knows what he's doing.

- Two stud interior defensive lineman. Why wasn't Slaton playing last night? He's not the second coming but could he have possibly been worse than Lancaster or Keke? 

- Kevin King to not see the field any longer. Being fair, he had perfect coverage on Cephus when he almost made that incredible grab and did actually slap the ball out. Keep in mind Cephus is slow for WR by NFL standards. So it's not like King has suddenly figured it out. 

- Another CB

- One stud ILB

- Somebody who can get to the quarterback on a consistent basis.

Other than that, we're good. Five more players and a coach. 

Slaton played last night.  And he HUSTLED!  I was pretty happy seeing #93 out there.

But, in regards to the defense?  This is no longer on the DC.  We are playing the same philosophy of bend that we did under Pettine.  This is now an MLF thing.  It's up to him to decide to be aggressive and actually try to force stops as opposed to waiting for the offense to commit a penalty that kills a drive.

We only get creative and aggressive in spots when we hold a 2 score lead.  It worked last night in the second half.  It won't work against a good team.

After two weeks, I give the defensive a solid D.  And I think I'm being generous.  This is not the defense we should have with the players we have out there.

Not that it means a great deal, but the defense did pitch a shutout in the second half against the Lions. The same Lions team that put up 33 points against the 49er's in week one. Some will want to spin it like Detroit is St. Mary's school for the blind, but they are an NFL team and under NFL rules it is hard to shut any team down.   

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, R T said:

Not that it means a great deal, but the defense did pitch a shutout in the second half against the Lions. The same Lions team that put up 33 points against the 49er's in week one. Some will want to spin it like Detroit is St. Mary's school for the blind, but they are an NFL team and under NFL rules it is hard to shut any team down.   

Not saying you are wrong at all.  

Am saying that St. Mary's School for the Blind could hang 17 points on us in the first half as well as the Loins.

Edited by vegas492