2021 Defensive Thread

vegas492

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

Slaton played last night.  And he HUSTLED!  I was pretty happy seeing #93 out there.

But, in regards to the defense?  This is no longer on the DC.  We are playing the same philosophy of bend that we did under Pettine.  This is now an MLF thing.  It's up to him to decide to be aggressive and actually try to force stops as opposed to waiting for the offense to commit a penalty that kills a drive.

We only get creative and aggressive in spots when we hold a 2 score lead.  It worked last night in the second half.  It won't work against a good team.

After two weeks, I give the defensive a solid D.  And I think I'm being generous.  This is not the defense we should have with the players we have out there.

MLF told Barry at halftime to either pressure or play coverage. Barry started to bring the heat. So, I'd say it's on Barry.

Great news about Slaton. I honestly didn't see him which is probably a good thing. The only time I noticed Keke and Lancaster was when they were getting blown up. Which was a lot. 

Edited by Old Guy

14 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

What was the thought on Devondre Campbell last night?  Had 13 tackles and an interception .. seemed active, but I didn't pay super close attention to him.

I feel like he's a clear upgrade from Martin and Kirksey.  He's very physical inside and looks smooth in coverage.  He has a little burst in him as well.  He closes ground quick.

Negative thing I saw last night is that he was overly aggressive on some runs and overran his gap.

Would love to see more Slaton on the line with Clark, then we can see how Campbell really looks.

• Like 1

I'm super bummed about Keke. We already knew Lowry and Lancaster weren't any good, but Keke flashed at times last year and there was optimism about his potential. He's been brutal through 2 weeks. Sort of expected him to struggle vs the run being undersized, but he's not even a presence in the rush either

8 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

MLF told Barry at halftime to either pressure or play coverage. Barry started to bring the heat. So, I'd say it's on Barry.

Great news about Slaton. I honestly didn't see him which is probably a good thing. The only time I noticed Keke and Lancaster was when they were getting blown up. Which was a lot. 

If your HC has to tell your DC at freakin' halftime to get his proverbial crap together, that is an issue.

We are running the same defense we did with Pettine.  Bend and hope the offense shoots itself in the foot.  Until you get a lead, then you gamble a little.

Literally nothing has changed.  The constant is MLF.  

Keke was BY FAR my most disappointing player last night.  Every time I saw him he was on the ground.  King's mistakes were more glaring, but Keke just got his butt rolled consistently.

44 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

If your HC has to tell your DC at freakin' halftime to get his proverbial crap together, that is an issue.

Literally nothing has changed.  The constant is MLF.  

Yep, which is why I think Barry's seat could get hot real soon.

There are a couple of more constants actually.

1. ****ty talent along the defensive line.

2. DC's who do not know how to adapt in game. 

MLF didn't hire Pettine, he inherited him. Barry wasn't his first or second choice from reports and so far, he's not figured it out. Good on LaFleur to telling him straight at halftime. That shows leadership. 

1 hour ago, incognito_man said:

oh yes it is

because the constant was on pre-MLF teams and is still on MLF teams. It's very, very relevant

Disagree.  It's a new head coach, who got to hire his DC.  Which should have been someone who held his beliefs on what he wants to do on defense.

MLF isn't running Mac's offense.  It was changed.

So MLF is capable of change.  But the defensive scheme and/or mindset still has not changed despite the head coach choosing his own DC.

25 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Disagree.  It's a new head coach, who got to hire his DC.  Which should have been someone who held his beliefs on what he wants to do on defense.

MLF isn't running Mac's offense.  It was changed.

So MLF is capable of change.  But the defensive scheme and/or mindset still has not changed despite the head coach choosing his own DC.

Your last paragraph. That's my point. 

You're arguing in favor of the definition of insanity. I'm arguing against it. If the franchise keeps making changes (except one noticable one) and the results don't change, what should that tell us?

1 minute ago, incognito_man said:

Your last paragraph. That's my point. 

You're arguing in favor of the definition of insanity. I'm arguing against it. If the franchise keeps making changes (except one noticable one) and the results don't change, what should that tell us?

We need a different scouting staff to help pick better defensive players?