2021 Defensive Thread

vegas492

1 hour ago, incognito_man said:

Your last paragraph. That's my point. 

You're arguing in favor of the definition of insanity. I'm arguing against it. If the franchise keeps making changes (except one noticable one) and the results don't change, what should that tell us?

That our head coach is okay with that kind of defensive philosophy.  Or he would have hired someone else.

1 minute ago, vegas492 said:

No clue.  Enlighten me.

The only guess I can make is that he feels that his offense will outscore and be more efficient than the other side.  

Aaron Rodgers

*edit

He impacts coaching decisions like this and attitude on that side of the ball. There exists a "well, even if we mess up, Aaron should save us" mentality IMO

Edited by incognito_man

Looking back at GB head coaches

MLF....offensive roots/ background

MM....offensive roots/ background

Mike Sherman....offensive roots/ background 

Ray Rhodes....defensive roots/ background

Mike Holmgren.....offensive roots/ background 

Lindy Infante....offensive roots/ background 

Forrest Gregg.....offensive roots/ background 

Bart Starr....offensive roots/ background 

GB going back 40+ years have had HC with much stronger ties to offense vs defense 

Edited by squire12

NFL defenses have become zone heavy in this day and age of pass heavy offenses.  Therefore you need to be able to get pressure with your front 4.  If you can do that (like Tampa Bay can), you're going to find great success.  If you consistently need to send blitzes, there are going to be more holes in those zones.  Jared Goff had time to write his memoirs back there last night.  We need to upgrade our DL in a major way going forward altho easier said than done.

Edited by thrILL!
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, thrILL! said:

NFL defenses have become zone heavy in this day and age of pass heavy offenses.  Therefore you need to be able to get pressure with your front 4.  If you can do that (like Tampa Bay can), you're going to find great success.  If you consistently need to send blitzes, there are going to be more holes in those zones.  Jared Goff had time to write his memoirs back there last night.  We need to upgrade our DL in a major way going forward altho easier said than done.

Unfortunately,  the DL has been a pretty notable need for GB for a few years.  The lack of resources used to try and improve it has been disappointing 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, incognito_man said:

Aaron Rodgers

*edit

He impacts coaching decisions like this and attitude on that side of the ball. There exists a "well, even if we mess up, Aaron should save us" mentality IMO

Right.  Am I correct in assuming that you aren't a fan of this kind of defense for that reason?

In my mind, I'd love a defense that can force punts and/or take the ball away so that Aaron gets more drives.  

Really hope the Packers try something different and maybe give Heflin a shot this week. Hell, move up McIntosh even though he just got here. You could literally walk down the street and find 3 guys who are doing what Lowry, Lancaster and Keke are doing right now. 

Shame on Gute for not fixing this mess. 

• Like 1

Pff scores...

Clark, 7'th DL with a score of 81.9.

Lowry, 69th DL with a score of 58.4.

Lancaster, 91st DL with a score of 52.4.

Keke, 110th (yes you read that right), with a score of (yes you are going to read this right, 36.3)

Campbell is the 12th ILB with a score of 76.1.

Barnes is the 52th ILB with a score of 52.1.

Preston is the 9th EDGE with a score of 84.3.

Gary is the 52nd EDGE with a score of 65.5.

Garvin is 88 EDGE with a score of 52.7.

Amos is the 34th safety with a score of 66.7.

Savage is the 39th safety with a score of 63.6.

Stokes is the #9 CB with a score of 75.9.

Jaire is the 22 CB with a score of 69.2.

Sullivan is 68 with a score of 55.

King is the 83rd CB with a score of 50.4.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, packfanfb said:

Really hope the Packers try something different and maybe give Heflin a shot this week. Hell, move up McIntosh even though he just got here. You could literally walk down the street and find 3 guys who are doing what Lowry, Lancaster and Keke are doing right now. 

Shame on Gute for not fixing this mess. 

I'm not sure what's worse.  The fact that I agree with you that DL is an issue, or the fact that you think there's a reasonable upgrade out there just sitting on the couch waiting for the phone call...