2021 Defensive Thread

vegas492

A meeting cancelled so I decided to waste my life and watch the Joe Barry presser. How uninspiring.

Most interesting though he says that the whole thing about the half time adjustment is a media fabrication and that he didn't speak to MLF at half time!!! He is not aware that it is MLF who told the media!!!!

He also states he is the whipping boy for MLF and MLF calls the shots and tell him what he wants to see on the defence. I think Barry was on a very short leash and after 6 quartres MLF has stepped in to tell this clown how to run the defence.

What a poor, poor hire.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, CWood21 said:

I'm not sure what's worse.  The fact that I agree with you that DL is an issue, or the fact that you think there's a reasonable upgrade out there just sitting on the couch waiting for the phone call...

There probably isn't an upgrade out there right now....this should have been fixed 3 years ago through the draft, FA or a trade. You typically get what you pay for. On the DL we have one 1st round pick (who is really good) surrounded by a bunch of day 3 guys and UDFAs. 

5 hours ago, Brit Pack said:

A meeting cancelled so I decided to waste my life and watch the Joe Barry presser. How uninspiring.

Most interesting though he says that the whole thing about the half time adjustment is a media fabrication and that he didn't speak to MLF at half time!!! He is not aware that it is MLF who told the media!!!!

He also states he is the whipping boy for MLF and MLF calls the shots and tell him what he wants to see on the defence. I think Barry was on a very short leash and after 6 quartres MLF has stepped in to tell this clown how to run the defence.

What a poor, poor hire.

Uninspiring is a great word for this whole thing.  I can't imagine he was high on many teams list of potential DC's.  It's truly an ol' boy network of buddies in the NFL when a guy with as poor of a record as Barry can continue to get DC opportunities.  Just yuck!

• Like 1

There might not be an upgrade out there for Barry this season, but there may be internally.  I hope Frenchy is talking to the two guys who I see as potential upgrades privately.  Conversations pertaining to what they think might be done differently, what or how their approach would differ.  I think Barry stills needs to be given time to ripen, but if he gets to be noticeably rotten that fruit will not likely improve with more time at some point.  I don't know when that time is.

Slow the run game, pressure the QB at key moments, tighten in the red zone.  Easy to say, difficult to do.  For us I think it begins with plugging the run game and going from there.  Not sure we possess the bodies for it.

Edited by 15412

Saw that Brian Burns has 3 sacks in 3 games this year.  So naturally I wanted to come here to kick Rashaan Gary a little bit.

But I can't.

I went to PFF and did a sort for EDGE guys in the 2019 draft.  The draft that included N Bosa, M Sweat, B Burns, R Gary, J Allen amongst others.

Gary has the 4th best pass rush grade from that EDGE draft class.  77.7.  Crosby is #1, Sweat is #2, Omenihu is #3.

Let's hope he continues to get better.  His coverage grade is poor, but I don't think he is asked to cover much.  And his run D score is below average (though ahead of Burns).  

On 9/24/2021 at 12:01 PM, 15412 said:

There might not be an upgrade out there for Barry this season

I think we need to realize we could have Todd Bowles as our DC right now and it wouldn't matter when Lowry, Lancaster and Keke are your 2-4 DL, plus average at best ILBs behind them. 

7 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

I think we need to realize we could have Todd Bowles as our DC right now and it wouldn't matter when Lowry, Lancaster and Keke are your 2-4 DL, plus average at best ILBs behind them. 

This certainly does have a lot to do with it.  That's why I ended that post you quoted from me with "Not sure we possess the bodies for it."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 15412 said:

It is questionable that the head coach has to tell the coordinator how to coordinate.  Most interesting it became public.

Hope we don't have a little tyrant on our hands in LaFleur that won't just hire the best man available and let him run his own show.  Hire the absolute best for the defense and stick to what you do best ... offense.

12 hours ago, cannondale said:

Nope. But fair to say he won't be asking for 4/$16 

It's also fair to say the player he is today with the potential he flashes, we'd get well over 10 a year RIGHT NOW if he were eligible. You can't bet your *** if he starts getting consistent pressure on the QB he's getting close to 20 on the low end.