2021 Defensive Thread

vegas492

Pretty proud of the defense .. especially in the first half, and here and there in the second half as well.  I feel the team showed some toughness all around.  I'll take a win any way I can get it .. especially against a quality opponent on the road and on a short week.  That's a well deserved win.  And in closing .. **** Jerome Boger.  He's a rotten official.

• Like 2

I thought this was easily the best showing by this defense this year.  Good intensity and effort.  Still would like to get better at getting off the field on third down and longer than 5 yards.  But this was a step forward.

Its early, but I like what I'm seeing from Stokes so far.  Yes, he got called for a couple ticky tacky pass interference calls, but he was pretty tight in coverage.

We desperately need one more interior defensive lineman to show up on 3rd and long.

But again...a step forward.  That's  all I can ask for at this time.

6 hours ago, minnypackerfan said:

I thought this was easily the best showing by this defense this year.  Good intensity and effort.  Still would like to get better at getting off the field on third down and longer than 5 yards.  But this was a step forward.

Its early, but I like what I'm seeing from Stokes so far.  Yes, he got called for a couple ticky tacky pass interference calls, but he was pretty tight in coverage.

We desperately need one more interior defensive lineman to show up on 3rd and long.

But again...a step forward.  That's  all I can ask for at this time.

Z is the d lineman on 3rd and long that's missing. Z/P/Gary/Clark is big, fast, flexible, and ferocious. 

As much as I would love to get a real 3T in here, it's just not gonna happen unless Keke figures a bunch of stuff out. 

6 hours ago, mikebpackfan said:

DL actually showed up and Kevin King wasn’t on the field. 

The ILBs also played much much better, but the biggest difference tonight was the coaching. We weren't losing by alignment tonight like we were in previous matchups. 

Plus Preston Smith was a man last night in run d. He handled his business and set hard edges. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

The ILBs also played much much better, but the biggest difference tonight was the coaching. We weren't losing by alignment tonight like we were in previous matchups. 

Plus Preston Smith was a man last night in run d. He handled his business and set hard edges. 

Agreed but thinking Ty Summers just isn't a quality backup LB; should be able to do better there 

Well, that defensive effort was, uh, unexpected.

Things I saw....

As @AlexGreen#20 pointed out, we were not overmatched on the line.  I saw us use the true 3/4 last night with 3 DL line sets.  I also saw where we would show Clark on the nose, but then shift Lancaster of there.  And Clark flat out wrecked a ton of plays last night.  He was pretty amazing.

Yes to Preston last night.  Run sets and pass rush.  Gary flashed with his hustle.

Campbell is playing some really good football right now.  Run and pass.  Best I can remember from a GB ILB in a long time.

Savage was more active.

We never really lacked intensity out there either.

It's a same the intentional grounding play wasn't called at the goal line at the end of the first half.  That call should have killed that drive and run out the clock.

I still hated how we couldn't get off of the field in third and long down.  3rd and 14, PI.  3rd and 10, easy completion.  Gotta get stops on those plays.

But really, this was a much better defensive performance.