2021 Defensive Thread

vegas492

3 hours ago, Old Guy said:

I prefer, "recess is over, looking for redemption." 

I love guys with a chip on their shoulder. Hope I'm loving me some Kevin King this year. 

Like your thought process but not so sure you shouldn't have a back up plan to get that nookie.

I want Gary to become great just so his #PutCheeseOnEverything hashtag stops making me cringe every time I see it.

Edit: Since this is the 2021 Defensive Thread, I guess I'll pose a question: What is it that makes people so high on Gary all of a sudden? Like everyone else, I have high hopes too given the flashes he's shown and the athleticism we know he has. But is there something in his NFL tape that suggests he could suddenly morph into a stud pass rusher as many have suggested? In 15 games last year, he was 74th in QB pressures. I get that he's young and expected to keep improving, but it seems expectations are sky high this year. Why is that? Genuine question seeks genuine answers.

Edited by Lodestar

12 minutes ago, Lodestar said:

I want Gary to become great just so his #PutCheeseOnEverything hashtag stops making me cringe every time I see it.

Edit: Since this is the 2021 Defensive Thread, I guess I'll pose a question: What is it that makes people so high on Gary all of a sudden? Like everyone else, I have high hopes too given the flashes he's shown and the athleticism we know he has. But is there something in his NFL tape that suggests he could suddenly morph into a stud pass rusher as many have suggested? In 15 games last year, he was 74th in QB pressures. I get that he's young and expected to keep improving, but it seems expectations are sky high this year. Why is that? Genuine question seeks genuine answers.

Look at the snap count of the 73 in front of him by comparison. Couple that with the work ethic that has been reported for 3 camps now and his pure athleticism and there is ample reason to believe year three he turns into a beast. 

He was really coming into his own in the last few games of the year and the playoffs last year. I think he keeps building off of those things and takes it to another level.

BTW, I have similar expectations for Savage at FS this year. Expecting a major leap for him too. 

Now if Keke could make it a third year trifecta. I know, I'm asking too much. 

• Like 2

Yah, Gary came on really strong at the end of last season.  

Over his career he converted to EDGE and had to learn.  With limited reps in year one.

Year two he was still learning and changing his body, and he came on like a force at the end of the year.

This should be the year where we see the true player emerge.

Agreed. Everyone will be talking about Scary Gary by the end of the season barring injury. With Z moving around the LOS and P on the other side, I expect to see a lot of 5-1-5 sub-packages on obvious passing downs. to take advantage of our EDGE talent.

6 minutes ago, Joe said:

Agreed. Everyone will be talking about Scary Gary by the end of the season barring injury. With Z moving around the LOS and P on the other side, I expect to see a lot of 5-1-5 sub-packages on obvious passing downs. to take advantage of our EDGE talent.

Quite some time ago, you opined that Gary could flip inside and rush.  Maybe to get Z a break.

It will be interesting to see if that happens this year.  He certainly looks like he could do that a few snaps a game and see if that quickness causes some disruption in there.

1 minute ago, vegas492 said:

Quite some time ago, you opined that Gary could flip inside and rush.  Maybe to get Z a break.

It will be interesting to see if that happens this year.  He certainly looks like he could do that a few snaps a game and see if that quickness causes some disruption in there.

I think that happens post-Z but it would be quite exciting to see them swap that role this season if that's a part of the new scheme.

35 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I'm guessing it  wouldn't be necessary if Keke stays healthy. He's shown the ability to get pressure inside. He could make our pass rusher virtually unstoppable. Then Kenny Clark too, oh my! 

They could rotate enough to all stay fresh. 

• Like 1

On 8/31/2021 at 1:26 PM, Old Guy said:

I'm guessing it  wouldn't be necessary if Keke stays healthy. He's shown the ability to get pressure inside. He could make our pass rusher virtually unstoppable. Then Kenny Clark too, oh my! 

They could rotate enough to all stay fresh. 

That's true, but we had been discussing how Z just kinda lines up wherever he feels like it and rushes. I suggested at the time that Gary could probably do the same given his athleticism and raw strength. I'd love to see him go against a smaller Center that's like 6-3 200 vs the usual OT that's 6-6 315.

33 minutes ago, Joe said:

That's true, but we had been discussing how Z just kinda lines up wherever he feels like it and rushes. I suggested at the time that Gary could probably do the same given his athleticism and raw strength. I'd love to see him go against a smaller Center that's like 6-3 200 vs the usual OT that's 6-6 315.

We would all like Keke to be a dominating pass rusher up the middle, right?  But, in case he isn't, it sure would be nice to flip Gary in there on occasion to give Z a few reps off.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Joe said:

I'm leery of this. Gary played inside a whole lot at Michigan and was not productive. I know a lot has changed since then regarding his development. I think Gary is going to be dominant as an EDGE rusher. As an occasional change of pace, I think it's fine, but let's let him dominate on the EDGE. 

By the way, I know it was a typo on the size of the center but wouldn't we all like to see him go against a 200 lb center. I'm guaranteeing he wins every play. 😁

Edited by Old Guy
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Old Guy said:

I'm leery of this. Gary played inside a whole lot at Michigan and was not productive. I know a lot has changed since then regarding his development. I think Gary is going to be dominant as an EDGE rusher. As an occasional change of pace, I think it's fine, but let's let him dominate on the EDGE. 

By the way, I know it was a typo on the size of the center but wouldn't we all like to see him go against a 200 lb center. I'm guaranteeing he wins every play. 😁

Gary did play inside at college.  More of a hand in the dirt kind of player playing both run and pass.

If we were to flip Gary inside now, it would be in a stand up position on passing downs, just like what we do with Z.  It's very different than what he did in college.

And it isn't really a power thing when he is in there.  It's more about quickness and catching the guard and centers sleeping a little bit as they haven't seen quickness like that off of the snap from our usual DL.

If Z truly is gone after this year, it would be nice to have Gary have a little experience doing that stuff inside.