2021 Defensive Thread

vegas492

8 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

He was already a cut candidate before the back surgery.  His $28.1M cap hit would rank 4th next year behind T.J. Watt, Khalil Mack, and Joey Bosa.  Unless he had a 15+ sack season, it's highly unlikely that he'd be back at that number next year.  Either they'd extend him to lower his cap hit or they'd release him.

I'm aware of that and believe the extension is off the table after back surgery. Players never seem to be the same after a back surgery.

4 hours ago, coachbuns said:

Bye bye .. he's gone; the bad back just sealed the deal. 

I would tend to agree.  I think there's a chance he could be willing to negotiate a short-term deal that lowers his cap number for 2022, but doesn't break the bank.  Assuming he's not able to recover and come back this season, it'd make sense for him to look to return to Green Bay.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CWood21 said:

I would tend to agree.  I think there's a chance he could be willing to negotiate a short-term deal that lowers his cap number for 2022, but doesn't break the bank.  Assuming he's not able to recover and come back this season, it'd make sense for him to look to return to Green Bay.

Possibly but back surgery is a career ender.  Man that sucks.  He won't be back in GB or most likely anywhere else.  Hell of a player this is a real blow.  He's got enough money now if I were him I'd hang them up.  His back will never be the same even if he tries to give it a go he'll just reinjure it.  

• Like 1

On 10/2/2021 at 10:02 AM, Scoremore said:

Possibly but back surgery is a career ender.  Man that sucks.  He won't be back in GB or most likely anywhere else.  Hell of a player this is a real blow.  He's got enough money now if I were him I'd hang them up.  His back will never be the same even if he tries to give it a go he'll just reinjure it.  

Yeah, Z is in a tough spot. Nobody is going to throw down on a 30 year old coming off a back injury. I wouldn’t quite hang it up if I was him though. I bet he could get a decent prove it 1 year 6-8m next year which for him is still substantial (53m in his career so far). If he doesn’t perform though, he’s 100% retiring in 23.

If I was being honest, I would say that only 17 points to a QB like Ben Roethlisberger, especially after a 7 point start on a free play, is the most promising performance from this defense that I can remember since 2014.

Since 2014, the Packer defense has not performed well against veteran, established quarterbacks. Ever. It didn’t matter if they were good or not, it only mattered if they were experienced.

Typically, Roethlisberger is the type of QB who would tear apart the secondary.

I checked in early and saw the 7 point start, lol’d, anticipated them dropping 30 on us.

I’ll just say I was pleasantly surprised when I checked the score at the end.

1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:

If I was being honest, I would say that only 17 points to a QB like Ben Roethlisberger, especially after a 7 point start on a free play, is the most promising performance from this defense that I can remember since 2014.

Since 2014, the Packer defense has not performed well against veteran, established quarterbacks. Ever. It didn’t matter if they were good or not, it only mattered if they were experienced.

I checked in early and saw the 7 point start, lol’d, anticipated them dropping 30 on us.

As you should be ... still going to need DL/LB help for sure.  Jaire's injury is a huge unknown for how long if any he will be out.  

2 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

This was probably their best offensive performance of the season?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

It's crazy to me that you post on a Packers message board, are seemingly passionate about it (in your own special way), but won't tune in to watch this team. Like, what are you waiting for my man? The tear-it-down Jordan Love Packers?

I hope the Packers figure out a way to give Z a chance to play again in GB.  Depending on the extent of the surgery I don't think it's a career ender.  They will have to finagle numbers to make it work, but he's been a great player in GB and if there's a way to keep him around I would surely do that.

I was pretty quick to kill Joe Barry, but he seems to have righted the ship and got the Packers playing sound football on defense.  Early on this season it looked like a mess, but as we've went along thru a few games it looks like the players either bought in, or figured out what Barry was trying to get done.  It could also be that LaFleur got involved and helped get the players on the right page.  Whatever they've done it looks like we have a competent unit on our hands.  I'm sure larger challenged lay ahead, but we've heading the right direction at least.