2021 Defensive Thread

vegas492

2 hours ago, Lodestar said:

It's crazy to me that you post on a Packers message board, are seemingly passionate about it (in your own special way), but won't tune in to watch this team. Like, what are you waiting for my man? The tear-it-down Jordan Love Packers?

I’ve been spending my Sundays doing more important things in life.

I will always love the Packers, and I will likely watch playoff games, but the emotional attachment of 17 games and the time is just not worth it to me right now.

I’m enjoying a mild interest in football.

Less anger. More peace.

2 hours ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I hope the Packers figure out a way to give Z a chance to play again in GB.  Depending on the extent of the surgery I don't think it's a career ender.  They will have to finagle numbers to make it work, but he's been a great player in GB and if there's a way to keep him around I would surely do that.

Nah pass.  If he decides to come back let some other team pay him.  Once a player has back surgery they are screwed.  He won't be able to play at a high level let alone make it through a season.  Great player and other injury I'd agree but not a back.  He won't be the same player after this.  Pack should once again look to FA to replace him.  

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

I will always love the Packers, and I will likely watch playoff games, but the emotional attachment of 17 games and the time is just not worth it to me right now.

Less anger. More peace.

Sounds boring. I'll keep throwing my can koozie at my TV.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:

Less anger. More peace.

Quitter ;)

• Like 1

Less anger. More peace.

I get it. You've gone full Rodgers. Grew your hair out. Taken up the guitar, yoga, meditation. Hired a guru. Switched out alcohol for various combustible herbs. Tie-dyed T-shirts. Bandanas. And paisley, lots of paisley. 

As a child of the 60's I'm all for it. R-E-L-A-X. 

• Like 1

Less anger. More peace.

Sounds reasonable to me ... taking a sport to the extent where one can't function with or without anger isn't healthy.  Peace.

from justis mosqueda

"Green Bay played a significant amount of this 3-3-5 bear front against Pittsburgh. Not really something you see every week in the NFL. Take off an ILB for nickel instead of a DT. Sometimes they used Burks as an edge defender."

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FA4bZXFVIA4dCnC?format=jpg&name=large

Some of this may be due to injury with Barnes and Z both out on Sunday

2 hours ago, Shanedorf said:
from justis mosqueda

"Green Bay played a significant amount of this 3-3-5 bear front against Pittsburgh. Not really something you see every week in the NFL. Take off an ILB for nickel instead of a DT. Sometimes they used Burks as an edge defender."

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FA4bZXFVIA4dCnC?format=jpg&name=large

Some of this may be due to injury with Barnes and Z both out on Sunday

Think Justis hasn't really been studying his tape this year, because they've played a fair degree of 3-3-5 this season.  It's becoming more common across the league anyway, but it was a big part of Staley's defense with the Rams too.

What gave Staley an advantage there were some of the odd-man fronts he deployed. The Rams’ most used personnel grouping was a 3-3-5 (three linemen, three linebackers, and five defensive backs), though two of those linebackers played on the edge, which produced more of a 5-1 look. Those kinds of fronts were what Fangio used to stop Sean McVay and the Rams during the 2018 season and that idea followed the Rams to the Super Bowl where Bill Belichick and the Patriots adopted the defensive front and Quarters coverage. 

https://www.sharpfootballanalysis.com/analysis/two-high-shell-staley-fangio-nfl-defense-2021/

That 9-4i-0-4i-9 front is a nightmare to zone block because it's so hard for the backside OL to get their cut/reach blocks.  The guy is already a step and a half in the direction you want to go and with both OLB playing wide the corner is nearly impossible to get.  Condenses run plays right back into the backside pursuit that had free run at their gaps. 

• Like 3

article here from ACME with some additional insight/pics on the various nickle packages from Barry

https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2021/10/4/22709946/joe-barry-used-interesting-nickel-looks-to-get-past-the-steelers

The interesting part for me is that they kept some of this under wraps until the SF game

"...The stock defense that we saw in the first two weeks of the season has seemingly changed overnight"

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

article here from ACME with some additional insight/pics on the various nickle packages from Barry

https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2021/10/4/22709946/joe-barry-used-interesting-nickel-looks-to-get-past-the-steelers

The interesting part for me is that they kept some of this under wraps until the SF game

"...The stock defense that we saw in the first two weeks of the season has seemingly changed overnight"

That’s the idea of all these “multiple” type players.  Be able to change up the scheme and not be sure what is going to be run based on the players on the field. I think if you get too many light groupings some teams will pound you into the ground but not every team is built for that and if you can get the score going on the other end, you take away the desire to run too much by the other team. 

I do like that we switched it up. BB was trying to throw every look in the book at Tommy. TB won the game but NE did get him out of rhythm for much of the game. I watched LAC play D yesterday which is supposedly the tree Barry is representing.  They had multiple levels of guys who could blitz or get into the backfield, were very quick to the ball and not afraid to stick the tackles. I would love to get to that point here in GB, I don’t believe we have that personnel this year but Barry has more to prove in my eyes.