2021 Defensive Thread

On 10/7/2021 at 6:13 PM, packfanfb said:

Feel bad for Barry man lol. Guy has come off terrible years as DC of ****ty teams, comes to GB where the talent is better and we lose two of our best defensive players within the first month....

I really think he’s doing a great job. 

Less coverage breakdowns 

defensive line play has been worlds better 

linebackers playing so much better ( Campbell , Barnes, Preston and Gary ) 

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

Green Bay defense now up to #6 for fewest allowed yards per game. at 322.6.

19th in points allowed at 24.4.

If we could just force field goals in the red zone instead of TD's we'd be doing really well.

Just don't let them in the red zone. Then you can't give up red zone TDs.

Think About It Reaction GIF by Identity

• Like 2
14 hours ago, vegas492 said:

Green Bay defense now up to #6 for fewest allowed yards per game. at 322.6.

19th in points allowed at 24.4.

If we could just force field goals in the red zone instead of TD's we'd be doing really well.

The disparity in rankings in yards and points made me wonder about yards per point...

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/opp-yards-per-point

We're fourth worst in the league at only 13.2 yards per point. I don't exactly know what this stat tells us... we give good starting position to opponents so they need fewer yards to score? We give up TDs instead of FGs at a much higher rate? Dunno, maybe it's not a stat worth reading, just thought it was interesting.

3 hours ago, Packer_ESP said:

The disparity in rankings in yards and points made me wonder about yards per point...

We're fourth worst in the league at only 13.2 yards per point. I don't exactly know what this stat tells us... we give good starting position to opponents so they need fewer yards to score? We give up TDs instead of FGs at a much higher rate? Dunno, maybe it's not a stat worth reading, just thought it was interesting.

Red zone defense allowing however many consecutive TD 

And

Special teams allowing some big kickoff returns.  Less yards to drive but ending in 7 vs 3

Edited by squire12
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, squire12 said:

Red zone defense allowing however many consecutive TD 

And

Special teams allowing some big kickoff returns.  Less yards to drive but ending in 7 vs 3

We also go for it on 4th down and short near midfield quite often.  I don't know off hand how many times we have been stopped, or if we have been stopped this season.  But that can also help opponent field position.  

21 hours ago, Packer_ESP said:

We are absolutely giving up more TDs per red zone visit by opponents than any other team. Our opponents in the red zone is currently at 100% they've finished with TDs.

I think that stats just tells us, we're not making opponents go on long drives per point... which means either they got amazing field position, or when a team gets a drive going, they're getting 7.

And right now the Packers defensive seem to extremely hit or miss, in that it seems to be a short drive of less than 6 offensive plays, or the other team is taking it for a touchdown. 

So basically that stat shows that there have been very few long drives by the opponent that end up in few/no points. 

41 minutes ago, Beast said:

We are absolutely giving up more TDs per red zone visit by opponents than any other team. Our opponents in the red zone is currently at 100% they've finished with TDs.

I looked that up because it sounded wrong but holy ****...that's so terrible I can't even wrap my head around it... 13 red zone drives, 13 touchdowns. 

On 10/15/2021 at 3:08 AM, Packer_ESP said:

I looked that up because it sounded wrong but holy ****...that's so terrible I can't even wrap my head around it... 13 red zone drives, 13 touchdowns. 

Yeah that's how the defense is 6th in yardage but 19th in points, it's either we stop them very early and they get no yards, or we give up a TD. Not much in between.

Packers are in a 5 way tie for 2nd with opponents only attempting one FG per game against us (and I believe the Bengals Kicker missed two game winners). Other teams we're tied with are Bills, Eagles, Brown's and Colts. Panthers are the only team better than that with 0.8 opponent FGs per game.

Last year the Packers were tied for 6th with 1.6 per game. But the best was 1.2 last year.

Also this is a double edge sword, as an extreme number can be good or bad, in that your letting them into FG range, but stopping them from getting a TD. But in the Packers case, we're not stopping them from getting TDs once in the RedZone.

Also I wonder if this makes a difference, Packers are 7th in the NFL in giving up points at home with 17 points per game. But 25th in the NFL in giving up points on the road with 29.3 points per game. 

Of course that's a small sample still, but considering the year ends with last than 10 each, you could argue the finish product is a small sample too.

• Like 2