2021 Defensive Thread

vegas492

On 10/29/2021 at 2:40 PM, vegas492 said:

If Jaylon Smith remains on the inactive list, yes.  Solid to downright good.  

If he plays?  Meh.

Seems this Barry guy can actually coach too. Impressive three week run by the defense. Keep it rolling and let's get some of our studs back. 

Someone smarter than me with regard to X’s and O’s tell me, does Barry make in-game adjustments predicated on the opponent’s offensive scheme, or does his scheme have built-in flexibility to adapt to most situations/reads?

So often in past seasons, we’ve watched our D coordinators react too slowly - if at all.  So much so, that it’s quite noticeable to the untrained eye (like mine).

From my untrained eye, Barry’s defense appears to be nimble and versatile.  Thoughts from you smart X’s and O’s guys?

19 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

Someone smarter than me with regard to X’s and O’s tell me, does Barry make in-game adjustments predicated on the opponent’s offensive scheme, or does his scheme have built-in flexibility to adapt to most situations/reads?

So often in past seasons, we’ve watched our D coordinators react too slowly - if at all.  So much so, that it’s quite noticeable to the untrained eye (like mine).

From my untrained eye, Barry’s defense appears to be nimble and versatile.  Thoughts from you smart X’s and O’s guys?

Yes.

17 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

Two things that are very noticeable are

1. He has better inside linebackers than we've had in a decade or more.

2. His secondary is almost always in the right place. 

I don't know why #2 has happened other than better coaching. Our pass rush has not been lights out this year either. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Zycho32 said:

Maybe Alex would know this better, but has Campbell been left on an island routinely in this defense? He did remark that Blake Martinez was frequently a victim of that problem when Pettine ran the defense.

I don't know about an "island", but I've watched him play zone.  He has much more awareness of who is in his zone than Blake ever had.  

Campbell's instincts on screens are really, really good too.

Dude is just a flat out baller for us right now.

He's kind of the right player in the right system at the right time.

Just now, vegas492 said:

I don't know about an "island", but I've watched him play zone.  He has much more awareness of who is in his zone than Blake ever had.  

Campbell's instincts on screens are really, really good too.

Dude is just a flat out baller for us right now.

He's kind of the right player in the right system at the right time.

I agree with his screen diagnosis being top notch. He’s also sniffed out some QB runs which can be make or break plays that keep drives going when they work  or have opposing OC’s thinking about their guy taking extra shots when they don’t. Campbell has been making plays all over the field. 

• 2 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

How long has it been since we had two inside linebackers as good as Campbell and Barnes? Barnes has really blossomed in his second year. 

Call me crazy, but I think Campbell may be helping Barnes progress and mature.  He seems to be a real leader out there.

• Like 1