2021 Defensive Thread

vegas492

Re: Gary getting some rush snaps inside, it depends somewhat on how much talent Gary shows in winning on the edge.  Z slides inside in part because he doesn't win at a particularly high clip outside and in part because he has an excellent instinct for where his opening will be inside.  Z is a power and hands rusher with the rare ability at scale to just jump cut across his man if they over-set; so far all we've really seen from Gary is a pretty traditional edge rusher who's figuring things out.  Gary's ceiling outside is much higher than Z's, but there's no evidence as of yet that he has the things inside that make Z special. 

Since this is the "2021 Defensive Thread", this is where I plant my flag and say that unfortunately I think we're going to end up disappointing on this side of the ball yet again. I like the young pieces we have and I think we have a bright future, but year 1 of Joe Barry is going to be rough. I hope I'm way off on this one. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Isherwood said:

Since this is the "2021 Defensive Thread", this is where I plant my flag and say that unfortunately I think we're going to end up disappointing on this side of the ball yet again. I like the young pieces we have and I think we have a bright future, but year 1 of Joe Barry is going to be rough. I hope I'm way off on this one. 

Growing pains probably. Hopefully they'll be better after Thanksgiving than after Labor Day.

From Warren Sharp on the Fangio/Staley defenses

https://www.sharpfootballanalysis.com/analysis/two-high-shell-staley-fangio-nfl-defense-2021/

What NFL Defenses Need To Learn From Brandon Staley & Vic Fangio As Two-High Looks Inevitably Rise

The Fangio/Staley system can be slightly more player agnostic (though neither of them lacked talent during the 2020 season) and transferable, but there are so many specifics in play for the defense to work as intended. Tracking the spread of a Fangio scheme will be interesting across the 2021 season because in 2020 it was clear Staley and Fangio were doing something completely different compared to the rest of the league. The below table shows how often a defense lined up in a two-high shell before the snap.

Pre-Snap-2-High-Shell-2020-1.png

The Rams and Broncos were clearly on their own with a two-high shell on over 75% of defensive snaps, according to Sports Info Solutions
No other team was over 60% and only three others eclipsed 50%.

But what makes the defense work is not just that the two-high shell turns into Cover 2 or Quarters coverage with two deep safeties playing the pass at a high rate. Both Staley and Fangio use those pre-snap shells to disguise the coverage and still often rotate to a single-high coverage. Below is a chart of how often teams used a pre-snap two-high shell (the same rate as the one above) plotted with how often those teams actually used MOFO (middle of the field open) coverage.

Pre-Snap-2-High-Shell-vs.-MOFO-Coverage-

More in the article...

• Like 1

On 9/4/2021 at 9:25 AM, Isherwood said:

I have to agree. I will say, however, that if we can be a top-5 offense and be able to get the defense off the field on 3rd down, we should be able to be a legit contender. Barry needs to trust his EDGE guys where we're pretty deep if you really look at it, but Keke and Slaton need to step up as well allowing the rest of the unit to take advantage of all that speed in the secondary. 

On 9/4/2021 at 3:21 PM, Refugee said:

Jimmy’s defense is currently getting burned deep. I’ll support W and him by extension but I don’t think he was above board when he interviewed with GB. 

He's lost a lot of pieces, but I'd feel more comfortable looking at him if he could prove himself with another NFL team.

7 hours ago, ReadyToThump said:

I'm just here to remind everyone that the Packers hired Joe Barry to be the DC and that they will undoubtedly underperform once again this season because of that.

Debbie Downer strikes again ... LOL, haven't played a snap yet and some are ready to jump off a cliff.  Play ball and let's see what happens; then we all can pee and moan or celebrate.

6 minutes ago, coachbuns said:

Debbie Downer strikes again ... LOL, haven't played a snap yet and some are ready to jump off a cliff.  Play ball and let's see what happens; then we all can pee and moan or celebrate.

Love the players, just not the coach. Trying not to get my expectations too high lol. 

1 hour ago, Mr Anonymous said:

There's a greater than zero chance that he's just never had the horses. He has them now so let's see what he can do.

Honestly, is there any excuse for us to not have a top 10 defense this year? Posters distain for the defensive coordinator aside.

16 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Honestly, is there any excuse for us to not have a top 10 defense this year? Posters distain for the defensive coordinator aside.

culture/mindset is probably only reason. There's a pervasiveness in GB about the "defense letting down Aaron" that I think is exuded from many, and then it becomes self-fulfilling.

I hope that changes, we have the horses to do it. Need to rebuild the mindset, and I think it starts with NOT giving up easy "garbage-time" TDs, too. Need more pride on that side. We should see pretty early on if things look different.

• Like 1