2021 Defensive Thread

vegas492

57 minutes ago, Isherwood said:

The Green Bay Packers - a should-be top 5 destination for coaching vacancies in the league - seemingly had to settle for a guy who started out his first press conference by talking about how he's "proud of his scars" 

It's another beautiful thing about the parity of the league: good teams get coaching scraps because they're still playing while the best young coaches have just gotten hired into new positions in January.

Man I feel for you guys. We suffered two years of Joe Barry and the whole thing was a nightmare. Literally the worst defenses we ever fielded were coached by Joe. This won’t get better so you have to accept that fact. All you can do is hope LaFleur wises up and fires him. 

5 hours ago, incognito_man said:

He was already in GB in 2016 looks like. 

He was interviewing for the job and lost out to Barry.

The linemen on both sides of the ball just weren't ready for a real game against a playoff caliber team.

Let's not forget last year the jaguars won a game against an eventual playoff team in week one. Nor that lady year the Saints beat the eventual Super Bowl Champions in week 1.

But this defense will live and die based on the other teams OL talent, and how long they're on the field (which is why long drives and actually trying to run the ball on offense against weaker DT might help), and how much we can force the other team to abandon the run. 

So basically they're screwed week 3 on the road, after a short week in California against the 49ers.

Also something else, the Saints picked Florida to have their game in part due to Rodgers horrible Florida record, the Packers have also been horrible in California in recent years... so do the Packers suck in those states up open warm weather stadiums for some random unknown reason?

3 hours ago, Beast said:

so do the Packers suck in those states up open warm weather stadiums for some random unknown reason?

What was interesting in Rodgers presser he kind of said it aint a conincidence, cos it happens so often, that they play crap in hot climates. My thinking is it is something to do with the travel and preparation part which doesn't get players ready. 

• Like 1

So, this thread and my defensive bravado didn't age well at all.

Easy to pile on Barry, and it is warranted.  He was bad.  His players looked lost and confused in the scheme.

And yah, we are a "soft" defense.

If I'm going to burn it down, here is what I'd do.  Not this week, not next week, but soon.

• Remove Barry, but in Gray.  It honestly can't get worse than Barry.
  • I don't know if he isn't a captain, but if Jaire isn't a captain, make him one.
  • At some point and time, you really need to consider getting Stokes on the field.  Not saying he needs to play for King, but that is the obvious choice.  Stokes needs to be on the field.
  • I'm not sure how to do it, but getting Savage in the slot and utilizing him like Woodson should happen.