2021 Defensive Thread

vegas492

10 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Casey Hayward had an 84 coverage grade (PFF) in Week 1. 

(Ducks)

I don't know if he would have come back but him for 2.5 or King's 8 million or so we're on the hook for him. No brainer! 

Honestly some of the deals Gute gave out with dead money in future years are really suspect cap management. I know we're all in but they were not smart moves at all. 

Edited by Old Guy

2 hours ago, Old Guy said:

I don't know if he would have come back but him for 2.5 or King's 8 million or so we're on the hook for him. No brainer! 

Honestly some of the deals Gute gave out with dead money in future years are really suspect cap management. I know we're all in but they were not smart moves at all. 

Gute was and prolly still is suffering from PTSD having to deal with the Rodgers drama, so I’m minimally sympathetic.

3 hours ago, Old Guy said:

That remains to be seen but with our cap realities and the drop in cap after it’s only gone up for decades had us and other teams in rough shape. It was either maximize Rodgers’ last year(s) or drop some core pieces. I don’t agree with paying premiums for RB but 33 is a great guy and teammate who can light it up, I hope he can capture some of his past magic. You’ve got to pay a great LT. KK, I don’t know, the team sees him as a guy who can play a premium position.  I see him as a physical oddity, who has moments and big lapses. Maybe he can get his head in the game and show what they see in him. Cobb, well...

Hopefully we can get the most out of those guys. Next year is going to be a bit of a cold shower. 

Two high safety should not be that difficult to defeat with Jones and especially Dillon.  Let Dillon crush their light box.  If they still can’t get a run game going they are in trouble.  Chicago has had great success against Rodgers with two high, score wise, but not in wins. Teams with good DL should always play two high against Rodgers, doesn’t guarantee a thing. It’s up to our makeshift OL to give Dillon and Jones a crease.  

13 hours ago, Old Guy said:

$8M?  He signed for $5M and $3.75M was spread over 5 years to lower his cap hit this year.

I don't know why but a big issue with the Packers is they don't keep to the run game if its not immediately successful. Sometimes you just need to deal with the 1 to 2 yard runs to setup the larger runs as the game progresses. When the run game isn't working the Packers always seem to move away from it. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Spartacus said:

I don't know why but a big issue with the Packers is they don't keep to the run game if its not immediately successful. Sometimes you just need to deal with the 1 to 2 yard runs to setup the larger runs as the game progresses. When the run game isn't working the Packers always seem to move away from it. 

Dillon was ripping off 6 ypc on his first series and I wish MLF had kept giving him the ball. Hopefully he gets both guys going early. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spartacus said:

1 hour ago, thrILL! said:

Dillon was ripping off 6 ypc on his first series and I wish MLF had kept giving him the ball. Hopefully he gets both guys going early. 

This is what I was talking about in the other post. Tons of teams get into big trouble abandoning their running game. Look, dude's are going to play really fast and really hard right off the bat to set the tone; with a run game you gotta wait until that wears off and then attack them. There's no reason we shouldn't have gone to Dillon off A-gap given the soft under-belly of those Saints DT's; it was Cam Jordan that was giving us problems all day and Billy Turner was getting pwned at RT. Had we not abandoned the running game, we certainly would've closed the gap at least and been comptetitive.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CWood21 said:

$8M?  He signed for $5M and $3.75M was spread over 5 years to lower his cap hit this year.

Yes, and if my math is correct 5 + 3.75 = 8.75. So what part am I missing that we the Raiders got Hayward for 2.5 million, no cash in future years and we paid King 8 million or so?  Unless you are suggesting kicking dead money down the road, which he's done a lot, is no big deal. 

Even under your false (IMO) narrative that King's deal is only 5 million which it is not. The Raiders got twice the player for 1/2 the cost. 

2021: 1.925

2022: 3.0

2023: 2.25

2024: 1.5

2025: .75

Edited by Old Guy

10 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Yes, and if my math is correct 5 + 3.75 = 8.75. So what part am I missing that we the Raiders got Hayward for 2.5 million, no cash in future years and we paid King 8 million or so?  Unless you are suggesting kicking dead money down the road, which he's done a lot, is no big deal. 

Even under your false (IMO) narrative that King's deal is only 5 million which it is not. The Raiders got twice the player for 1/2 the cost. 

Hit cap hit this year is 1.9M - with 3M spread out over the remaining four years at 750K per. He has a dead cap of 3M if cut before the 2022 league year begins.

12 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

2021: 1.925

2022: 3.0

2023: 2.25

2024: 1.5

2025: .75

Current Contract

Kevin King signed a 1 year, $5,000,000 contract with the Green Bay Packers, including a $3,750,000 signing bonus, $3,750,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $5,000,000. In 2021, King will earn a base salary of $1,000,000, a signing bonus of $3,750,000, a roster bonus of $129,412 and a workout bonus of $50,000, while carrying a cap hit of $1,929,412 and a dead cap value of $4,750,000.

It is $5M total

2021 base = $1M and the remaining amount is signing bonuse of $3.75M that is spread over the 5 years for 750K per year

2 minutes ago, Leader said:

Hit cap hit this year is 1.9M - with 3M spread out over the remaining four years at 750K per. He has a dead cap of 3M if cut before the 2022 league year begins.

Thanks for that clarification. 

@CWood21my apologies as I did not understand his contract correctly. 

I will stand by the idea it's too much for that stiff however. 

Edited by Old Guy
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Thanks for that clarification. 

@CWood21my apologies as I did not understand his contract correctly. 

I will stand by the idea it's too much for that stiff however. 

He may be a stiff - but you'd be hard pressed to find a CB2 for less than 2M per year.  It was a "devil you know" type decision. The entire contract was subject to (either) getting scrapped after this year (and we pay the dead cap) - or - if he revives his career, perhaps redoing the contract - cause you'd be hard pressed to find a CB2 thats gonna play for 750K.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Leader said:

He may be a stiff - but you'd be hard pressed to find a CB2 for less than 2M per year.  It was a "devil you know" type decision. The entire contract was subject to (either) getting scrapped after this year (and we pay the dead cap) - or - if he revives his career, perhaps redoing the contract - cause you'd be hard pressed to find a CB2 thats gonna play for 750K.

Maybe I'm reading this wrong but year two there is no salary according to over the cap. Just prorated bonus money and 3 million in dead money. Meaning, he's not under contract with us next year. The vet minimum is more than 750K. So that can't be his salary either. Link to over the cap below. 

Green Bay Packers Salary Cap | Over the Cap