UPDATE: 7th Round Pick Marquez Williams activated from PUP

.Buzz

Rough break as we look to move towards a power running game. If he still ends up playing for us this season, I wonder how much this might impact the timing intricacies of filling holes to block for Fournette.

Does this give Bohanon the inside track to the job? I wonder if we bring in someone like Reece or Felton now as competition. 

9 hours ago, iPwn said:

Rough break as we look to move towards a power running game. If he still ends up playing for us this season, I wonder how much this might impact the timing intricacies of filling holes to block for Fournette.

Does this give Bohanon the inside track to the job? I wonder if we bring in someone like Reece or Felton now as competition. 

I'd imagine we feel good about Bohanon to be honest. But I certainly would be happy bringing in a proven vet like you mentioned who are both highly regarded.

• 3 weeks later...

This is good news. Bohannon (sp?) hasn't looked particularly good from what I gather, especially as a pass catcher out of the backfield. I think Marquez is going to end up seperating himself if he's 100%.

7 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

This is good news. Bohannon (sp?) hasn't looked particularly good from what I gather, especially as a pass catcher out of the backfield. I think Marquez is going to end up seperating himself if he's 100%.

It would be really nice to get a FB who can block and add to the pass game, especially if that player is a Rookie who could be with the team for 8 seasons like Greg Jones was.

Just now, iPwn said:

It would be really nice to get a FB who can block and add to the pass game, especially if that player is a Rookie who could be with the team for 8 seasons like Greg Jones was.

Marquez was a 7th rd pick and I don't usually get excited about picks that late, but man was he impressive at Miami. I really think he could be a long term key cog at FB. Just a bowling ball out there. So happy that we installed that position back in the offense.

13 hours ago, .Buzz said:

Marquez was a 7th rd pick and I don't usually get excited about picks that late, but man was he impressive at Miami. I really think he could be a long term key cog at FB. Just a bowling ball out there. So happy that we installed that position back in the offense.

Hope you’re right.

Also agreed on being happy the FB is back. I never really understood how we were supposed to be the smash mouth, kick you in the face team we were told that Toby and Ivory were going to make us when we didn’t have a FB and had a starting TE who was a low effort blocker. 

6 hours ago, iPwn said:

Hope you’re right.

Also agreed on being happy the FB is back. I never really understood how we were supposed to be the smash mouth, kick you in the face team we were told that Toby and Ivory were going to make us when we didn’t have a FB and had a starting TE who was a low effort blocker. 

Gus Bradley thoooo

But yeah, I agree. I think having Marrone/Hackett running things who are known to want that physical run game as the focal point kind of pointed right at it when Marrone was hired. No way was Julius sticking around either.

30 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Gus Bradley thoooo

But yeah, I agree. I think having Marrone/Hackett running things who are known to want that physical run game as the focal point kind of pointed right at it when Marrone was hired. No way was Julius sticking around either.

Gus seriously has a substantial talk game. He should open a dating site after his coaching days are over because he played the Jaguars. 

Back to the topic at hand, Marquez Williams looks the part, but now hopefully he can quickly learn the playbook, show that strength he showed in college, gain confidence to play at this level, catch passes out of the backfield, and take the starting FB job. Good luck to him. 

On 8/6/2017 at 0:53 PM, .Buzz said:

FB is definitely one of those few positions where you really can pluck a solid starter out of the late rounds.  It's just so devalued, even good ones go so late.

I am really curious to see just how much the FB ends up reinstalled in our offense, vs how much is just talk.

21 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

FB is definitely one of those few positions where you really can pluck a solid starter out of the late rounds.  It's just so devalued, even good ones go so late.

I am really curious to see just how much the FB ends up reinstalled in our offense, vs how much is just talk.

Same, but considering we just spent a top 5 pick on a RB and our QB situation, I fully expect FB to be fairly heavily involved.

2 hours ago, .Buzz said:

Same, but considering we just spent a top 5 pick on a RB and our QB situation, I fully expect FB to be fairly heavily involved.

True.  Though part of the potential problem i see, is...if our O-Line gets as little push as they have most of the last bunch of years, if there's no hole opened...it's just going to be 2 backs plowing into the back of a traffic jam instead of 1.  :S

6 hours ago, Tugboat said:

True.  Though part of the potential problem i see, is...if our O-Line gets as little push as they have most of the last bunch of years, if there's no hole opened...it's just going to be 2 backs plowing into the back of a traffic jam instead of 1.  :S

Definitely one of our biggest storylines this year outside of Blake will be the push we get. I am unfortunately just thinking about the final several games when Hackett took over and made our run game turn from one of the worst in the league to top 5 in several categories and Corey Grant coming in and absolutely abusing the opposing run d.

We'll see what happens. As you can tell in most of my posts this offseason I'm an optimist until the team shows different. Personally, I doubt we get the OL play we did the final several weeks but I think it'll be closer to that than the first 10 or so weeks of last season. Plus, we now have Fournette with Ivory and Fournette behind him. I really hope we figure out a way to keep Corey Grant too as I loved what I saw from him last year and we could use a RB with speed like that with a punisher like Fournette/Ivory already in the fold.

Archived