Final 53 Man Roster

lomaxgrUK

6 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Not at all surprised that Anderson made the roster, but Fleming not making it is very surprising.    Won't ever second-guess Munchak, though. 

Wasn't he the T in on both of Lock strip searches ??  Fleming really never played that well during camp, at least Anderson showed well. Did think we had an opportunity to trade him somewhere, several team need Oline help.

Edited by Cutler06

2 minutes ago, Cutler06 said:

Wasn't he the T in on both of Lock strip searches ??  Fleming really never played that well during camp, at least Anderson showed well. 

Yeah, Anderson played well enough I'd have gone that way.  More that the staff felt comfortable to let Fleming go, because of his versatility, Fleming can play a lot of positions.  Cutting him speaks more to their willingness to have one fewer T capable guy in their roster.    Like I said, I'll never second guess Munchak's call there.

Edited by Broncofan

6 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Not at all surprised that Anderson made the roster, but Fleming not making it is very surprising.    Won't ever second-guess Munchak, though. 

After we signed him I watched him some. Honestly, I think he was training camp fodder. Imagining him at LT is kind of nightmarish.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, lomaxgrUK said:

So, the 53 is technically complete but there's some 'roster tennis' to come.

Ojemudia and Boone heading for short term IR, with Fleming and Stephen coming back apparently.

Can't say I understand the specifics of why/what we are doing.

Sounds like emergency insurance and roster filler. Maybe trade bait if some team loses a guy in the trenches in the 1st few weeks. 

14 minutes ago, lomaxgrUK said:

So, the 53 is technically complete but there's some 'roster tennis' to come.

Ojemudia and Boone heading for short term IR, with Fleming and Stephen coming back apparently.

Can't say I understand the specifics of why/what we are doing.

Any player who goes on IR before being put on 53-man roster can’t be called back.    Only PUP players who never practiced are exempted (Bassey & Dawson).    There’s no limit this year to calling a player off IR - used to be 2, then 3, and now in the COVID era - as long as you started on 53-man roster - if you go on IR after - you can be activated after 3+ weeks.   

This allows Boone / Ojemudia to come back later.   Then we decide on whether it’s Fleming / Stephen or other guys who get cut (or maybe someone else goes on IR then).    But it’s a calculated risk that they clear waivers.   Seems like a sound decision in both cases. 

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Any player who goes on IR before being put on 53-man roster can’t be called back.    Only PUP players who never practiced are exempted (Bassey & Dawson).    There’s no limit this year to calling a player off IR - used to be 2, then 3, and now in the COVID era - as long as you started on 53-man roster - if you go on IR after - you can be activated after 3+ weeks.   

This allows Boone / Ojemudia to come back later.   Then we decide on whether it’s Fleming / Stephen or other guys who get cut (or maybe someone else goes on IR then).    But it’s a calculated risk that they clear waivers.   Seems like a sound decision in both cases. 

This also makes total sense.

Only slight amend is that Fleming and Stephen were released not waived, so they dont have to clear waivers.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, lomaxgrUK said:

This also makes total sense.

Only slight amend is that Fleming and Stephen were released not waived, so they dont have to clear waivers.

Right - they have more than 4 years service time, good call.   Only players with less than 4 years service time need to clear waivers.   Both guys specifically were probably approached and told what was going to happen.  As long as they are re-signed before week 1 their salaries are fully guaranteed.  So it works for everyone.  It’s only after week 1 when vet FA signings are week to week.  Stephen and Paton go back to the Min days and Fleming salary fully guaranteed.  

Then it’s a no risk move for all sides if the FO and players know the score here.   Even if they were cut later their salaries were fully guaranteed if they are brought back now.     

Edited by Broncofan

1 hour ago, Cutler06 said:

Seems light on WR and OL, but that's just me

Well, we've got 3 OT's and 5 IOL. It's our best OT rotation in a long time with Anderson as swing. We've got probably the strongest pair of IOL backups in the league with Muti and Meinerz. I really get a kick out of those two. Schlottman not making the cut says a lot about our IOL depth.

I'm not sure we've ever kept just 5 WR's. That kinda jumped out at me. I think our strength and depth at TE had something to do with that.