Week 1 - Fins @ Patriots

hrubes20

The defense saved our *** in this game. I’d really like to see the offense be able to sustain drives better and string together a consistent rhythm through the RPO. The offense did make a couple plays at the end, the pass to Parker, the last couple 4&5 yard gains by Malcolm, and lastly the QB sneak. But still this is why I’m so glad we kept Howard, that’s why you need to keep playermakers, that one play made it worth it because anytime we beat the Pats in Foxburough that’s something to smile about.

3 hours ago, Jdolphins18 said:

The defense saved our *** in this game. I’d really like to see the offense be able to sustain drives better and string together a consistent rhythm through the RPO. The offense did make a couple plays at the end, the pass to Parker, the last couple 4&5 yard gains by Malcolm, and lastly the QB sneak. But still this is why I’m so glad we kept Howard, that’s why you need to keep playermakers, that one play made it worth it because anytime we beat the Pats in Foxburough that’s something to smile about.

The defense (X) definitely made a play… but the narrative shouldn’t be, but for the fumble, Miami was losing this game. If the Pats had scored either a TD or a FG Miami still likely would have had time on the clock. Miami showed they are capable of chunk plays. Was a good win, a tough win. X showed up, that’s what your superstars need to do. 

14 hours ago, TheKillerNacho said:

I never thought this would be easy. Winning in Foxboro is never easy. But it's an encouraging win nevertheless.

Absolutely.  I can't remember the exact record, but the Pats have been stupid good in home September games in recent memory.  I want to say like 23-2 over their past 25, but that may not be right.  Very happy to escape with a W.

29 minutes ago, hrubes20 said:

Ok, I rewatched some of the offense with a specific focus on the O-line.  Kindley was really bad, guys.  If Jackson is good to go this week, Eich needs to shift to LG against Buff.  

Yeah i really thought we had finally turned a corner last year with the oline but it feels like we're back to square one. I agree, need to get Jackson back at LT and Eichenberg either goes LG or RT, Davis takes the other spot. Hopefully Jackson gets his mojo back but he's been off ever since returning from injury last season. He started off so strong too last year.

Jackson - Eichenberg - Dieter - Hunt - Davis

Honestly only guy I'm confident with is Hunt at this point. All the other guys have been poor, have question marks or are unproven. Things aren't going to be easier going against Buffalo

Edited by Emerica

2 minutes ago, Emerica said:

Yeah i really thought we had finally turned a corner last year with the oline but it feels like we're back to square one. I agree, need to get Jackson back at LT and Eichenberg either goes LG or RT, Davis takes the other spot. Hopefully Jackson gets his mojo back but he's been off ever since returning from injury last season. He started off so strong too last year.

Jackson - Eichenberg - Dieter - Hunt - Davis

Honestly only guy I'm confident with is Hunt at this point. All the other guys have been poor or have question marks. Things aren't going to be easier going against Buffalo

Davis did fine as well.  For as ready as all of us (myself included) have been to kick him to the bench, he was probably average overall yesterday.  If I had to grade them, I'd say:

Eich - Average to slightly below average overall at LT.  He was tripped by Kindley on the play that Uche planted him and got the sack.  

Kindley - Well below average at LG.  Easily the weakest link yesterday, IMO.

Dieter - Slightly below average at C.  He didn't kill us, but he was iffy at times.

Hunt - Average at RG.  I expected more from him, honestly.  

Davis - Average at RT.  Solid, but unspectacular.  

Thanks for the O-line writeup. Didn't expect Kindley to struggle like this after he was reasonably competent as a rookie. Of course he played RG last year not LG like now so he playing a new position. Poorly. 

The Bills will be salivating at weak links like this as they review film. Stuff's gotta change. 

On 9/13/2021 at 12:34 PM, hrubes20 said:

Davis did fine as well.  For as ready as all of us (myself included) have been to kick him to the bench, he was probably average overall yesterday.  If I had to grade them, I'd say:

Eich - Average to slightly below average overall at LT.  He was tripped by Kindley on the play that Uche planted him and got the sack.  

Kindley - Well below average at LG.  Easily the weakest link yesterday, IMO.

Dieter - Slightly below average at C.  He didn't kill us, but he was iffy at times.

Hunt - Average at RG.  I expected more from him, honestly.  

Davis - Average at RT.  Solid, but unspectacular.  

The fact that Jesse Davis remains our best offensive lineman despite all the resources we've sunk into the position is really really saddening.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheKillerNacho said:

The fact that Jesse Davis remains our best offensive lineman despite all the resources we've sunk into the position is really really saddening.

I like a lot of what Grier has done, but he is seemingly carrying on the honored tradition of a Miami GM being incapable of putting together a good O-line.  We can only hope that the young guys do get better as the season progresses.

1 hour ago, hrubes20 said:

I like a lot of what Grier has done, but he is seemingly carrying on the honored tradition of a Miami GM being incapable of putting together a good O-line.  We can only hope that the young guys do get better as the season progresses.

A lot of these guys have talent, I think part of the issue has to be coaching. 

• Like 2

Yeah 100% agree with the coaching part.

Looking at NE for example. The Patriots have a good to decent oline pretty much every season and regularly draft OL in the later rounds who later on become solid starters. Of their starters only Isaiah Wynn was picked before the 4th round. Center David Andrews was an UDFA, starting G Mike Onwenu is a 6th round pick, Shaq Mason is a 4th round pick, Trent Brown was a 7th round pick. They don't have a star oline, but they always seem to find a way to get the job done.

There are franchises who roll out good oline year-in, year-out. That's coaching and development.