Vikings TE Irv Smith undergoes meniscus surgery; Likely out for season

RaidersAreOne

51 minutes ago, Chiefs_5627 said:

Im obviously no doctor but I thought meniscus repairs were fairly routine and quick to mend? I guess not

That is if they snip it off it is shorter recovery time Irv went for repairing it which takes multiple months to heal.

Edited by solidvikingfan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Chiefs_5627 said:

Im obviously no doctor but I thought meniscus repairs were fairly routine and quick to mend? I guess not

51 minutes ago, solidvikingfan said:

That is if they snip it off it is shorter recovery time Irv went for repairing it which takes multiple months to heal.

Meniscus surgery is 1 of 2 things.

1.  Menisectomy= trim/ removal of torn portion.  Leaving as much remaining meniscus as possible.  Healing is quicker due to nothing being repaired. Recovery from surgical incision, post- operative swelling.  3-6 weeks type recovery

2.  Meniscus repair= some form of stitch/ suturing to bring the torn edges of the Meniscus into toght/ close approximated position.   Recover is long due to the Meniscus being almost avascular (little to no blood supply).   Recovery is above + 4-6 weeks of protected Weightbearing ( brace locked straight and crutches), limited motion to prevent shear frces on repaired Meniscus.  Then at around 4-8 weeks low force and limited strengthening..... again to reduce compression + shear forces on repaired Meniscus.  Running/ jumping usually around 12 weeks with progression to cutting, change of direction and restoring strength/ power over next 2+ months.   Not unusual with a repair to have some form of procedure to promote internal bleeding (hole drilled into bone). 

• Like 2