Week 8: Raiders @ Bills

big_palooka

usatsi_9725993.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1

The path back to .500. 3 straight games away from Oakland against the AFC East on tap. Starting with the Bills. Both teams coming off wins and the Raiders hoping to ride momentum from a season saving win.

Remember us?

https://www.silverandblackpride.com/2017/10/25/16547288/raiders-will-face-some-former-team-favorites-in-buffalo

They’ve got a couple of our guys over there,” said Jack Del Rio. “A couple of my favorites in terms of effort-filled, hardnosed, good football players that give you everything they have. Really appreciated what they brought to us and I know they’re doing a nice job for them. Lorenzo is playing well on defense, Andre is doing a nice job in their offense and on special teams they’re both contributing, and Taiwan is over there. They’ve got some former Raiders on their team that are doing well for them.”

Optimism: Momentum is a cruel mistress. She can turn on a dime. And the Raiders are hoping it's turned in their favor. They've had 10 days too prepare for this road journey. Downing has unlocked the keys to the offense and Carr's #mambamentality is back! Bowman who said he'd get the defense right, starts to breath his leadership into this group. KC was the tipping point. They are back, confident and humble. Ready to get back in the AFC West mix. 

Pessimism: The Raiders left it all on the field against a bad KC defense on a short week. Buffalo who touts a great defense brings Downing's group back down to earth proving last week was a fluke. The defense struggles and let's Taylor get comfortable moving and creating plays with his feet.

My take.... I believe the Raiders got "back to the basics" against KC and that will be the catalyst they need. Buffalo hasn't been tested this season really. Winston tuned them up last week for 350+ yards. The Bills offense relies on Tyrod making plays with his feet and Shady being Shady. Keep him in the pocket and hit him early. Play their game in run defense and similar plan as last week, knock Clay off his routes. The Bills WRs shouldn't cause them many issues. I feel an INT coming this week finally.

Raiders should ride the momentum and get to .500 this week. Bills are an overrated 4-2 right now. Not taking away anything from them, but wins against the Jets and the the Broncos, Flacons and Bucs who are all playing down this season. This is a challenge for them. 

If there was ever a game where a significant early lead would be extremely helpful, this is it. 

I think last week showed that the Bills' defense is a bit closer to above average than elite.  They had some shocking blown assignments in coverage last week.  The Bucs moved the ball fairly well, but also committed three turnovers.  At least one of those resulted from a punched ball, so everyone carrying the ball will need to be careful with it in Buffalo, not just Derek.  In the end,  I am hopeful that the Raider offense will be at least as effective as the Bucs and that Derek will ultimately be more careful with the ball than was Jameis.   I do think we'll be .500 by Sunday at 1:30 p.m. P.D.T., but it won't be easy.

I trust our talent over buffalo's talent, but what I want to see is us out scheme them.  Last week was the first week in a long time we went out of our way to scheme Cooper open, and lo-and-behold....it worked. Go figure. Same goes with our defense. Bills are a well coached team this year, it would be encouraging to see us out coach them. 

I want to see this defense play well. Even though we got tuned up by KC , the overall defense looked like it was a functioning unit. The addition of Bowman was huge and I'm eager to see him play again with more time under his belt. Tyrod is an underrated QB. He's not great or anything, but he's certainly better than Flacco and Siemian, who we lost to. Tyrod is a great down the field passing QB, which is one of the many weaknesses of our defense, so we'll have to be aware of that. Khalil hasn't dominated a game in nearly a month, I think hes due for a beast game.

I think the Bills have a very good chance of winning this game. They are very well coached and I could see them out coaching this group. I think the Raiders overactived against the Chiefs and could be let in for a let down game against the Bills. 

20 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Play their game in run defense and similar plan as last week, knock Clay off his routes.

Clay is very unlikely to play. He injured his knee before the bye week. I don't even think he's in pads yet. That said, the other side of that coin is the emergence of a few other receivers: Deonte Thompson (who played with Tyrod in Baltimore) has fantastic chemistry with Taylor. He broke out last week for 100+ yards after only 5 days with the team. At TE specifically, Nick O'Leary and Logan Thomas had great games last week. O'Leary has been sure-handed and surprisingly fast every time the ball has been tossed his way. He's incredibly tough in run blocking and catching over the middle.

My read on this game is that the national media and odds-makers are putting way too much confidence in the Bills' predictability. We aren't a consistent team. We beat the Broncos and Falcons, who have since demonstrated that they are not giants of the league this year. Then we lost to a surging Bengals team. I worry that Carr will get the ball out fast and shred our injured secondary (two high achieving starters: poyer and gaines are likely not playing). 

Something that looks to help the Bills is the rain. If it impedes passing that will be in the Bills' favor in my opinion. 

Obviously, I'm sounding pessimistic for my Bills, but I've come to learn to count on at least one soul-crushing, unexpected loss from either the Chiefs or Raiders each year. 

I hope it's a good, injury free game. Go Bills. 

8 hours ago, Chali21 said:

I think the Bills have a very good chance of winning this game. They are very well coached and I could see them out coaching this group. I think the Raiders overactived against the Chiefs and could be let in for a let down game against the Bills. 

Even if we overachieved against KC, they might be the best team in the league right now, or close to it. I can't say the Bills are on that level.

Bills will be without starting corner, EJ Gaines, who has played great this year. And also potentially missing starting safety Jordan Poyer. 

It'll be interesting to see who matches up on the outside. Their rookie Tredavious White has been studly this year, but Crabtree feasts on young corners. He abused Adoree Jackson week one, and if he's matched up on White, I like that in our favour. I expect Amari to be paid extra attention to after his breakthrough last week.

10 minutes ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

Bills will be without starting corner, EJ Gaines, who has played great this year. And also potentially missing starting safety Jordan Poyer. 

It'll be interesting to see who matches up on the outside. Their rookie Tredavious White has been studly this year, but Crabtree feasts on young corners. He abused Adoree Jackson week one, and if he's matched up on White, I like that in our favour. I expect Amari to be paid extra attention to after his breakthrough last week.

Yup, bracket coverage from White and a safety on Coop. I think Shareece Wright will play Crabtree. Good matchups for us either way.

On ‎10‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 3:24 PM, big_palooka said:

usatsi_9725993.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1

The path back to .500. 3 straight games away from Oakland against the AFC East on tap. Starting with the Bills. Both teams coming off wins and the Raiders hoping to ride momentum from a season saving win.

Remember us?

https://www.silverandblackpride.com/2017/10/25/16547288/raiders-will-face-some-former-team-favorites-in-buffalo

Optimism: Momentum is a cruel mistress. She can turn on a dime. And the Raiders are hoping it's turned in their favor. They've had 10 days too prepare for this road journey. Downing has unlocked the keys to the offense and Carr's #mambamentality is back! Bowman who said he'd get the defense right, starts to breath his leadership into this group. KC was the tipping point. They are back, confident and humble. Ready to get back in the AFC West mix. 

Pessimism: The Raiders left it all on the field against a bad KC defense on a short week. Buffalo who touts a great defense brings Downing's group back down to earth proving last week was a fluke. The defense struggles and let's Taylor get comfortable moving and creating plays with his feet.

My take.... I believe the Raiders got "back to the basics" against KC and that will be the catalyst they need. Buffalo hasn't been tested this season really. Winston tuned them up last week for 350+ yards. The Bills offense relies on Tyrod making plays with his feet and Shady being Shady. Keep him in the pocket and hit him early. Play their game in run defense and similar plan as last week, knock Clay off his routes. The Bills WRs shouldn't cause them many issues. I feel an INT coming this week finally.

Raiders should ride the momentum and get to .500 this week. Bills are an overrated 4-2 right now. Not taking away anything from them, but wins against the Jets and the the Broncos, Flacons and Bucs who are all playing down this season. This is a challenge for them

Didn't you lose to the Broncos? But anyway we're a solid 4-2 and we are a Zay Jones catch away in week 2 from being 5-1. I could flip the table and say the raiders are an overrated 3-3. A fluky TNF win against the Chiefs and then only wins against the Jets and Titans in weeks 1 and 2.

Our defense is a true bend don't break defense; we let teams get to the 50 but usually force a punt, turnover, or field guy. Touchdowns are rare.

The Bills are 3-0 at home this year and helps our O and D drastically. I see Shady McCoy getting on a tear. He had 100+ yards last week and 2 TDs and should keep it up this week.

Downside : missing EJ Gaines and Charles Clay.

28-21 Bills. Let's root for an injury free game but should be a tight one. Vegas has it as -3 which is essentially a pick em since it's in Buffalo.

17 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Even if we overachieved against KC, they might be the best team in the league right now, or close to it. I can't say the Bills are on that level.

No the bills aren't but they are on the level of say the Redskins who handily beat the Raiders. The Bills are also undefeated at home this season which points to a good homefield advantage. The game against KC could have very well been a fluke against a good team. The Raiders got up for it and left it all on the field the last time that happened when they played the jets they got waxed by the skins. Are they a good team that had a bad few weeks or and average team that played up to an elite teams level? I'm more inclined to believe the former until I see consistency on offense. 

4 hours ago, Chali21 said:

No the bills aren't but they are on the level of say the Redskins who handily beat the Raiders. The Bills are also undefeated at home this season which points to a good homefield advantage. The game against KC could have very well been a fluke against a good team. The Raiders got up for it and left it all on the field the last time that happened when they played the jets they got waxed by the skins. Are they a good team that had a bad few weeks or and average team that played up to an elite teams level? I'm more inclined to believe the former until I see consistency on offense. 

Uhh, we beat the Bills badly last year because we match up well against them. You're telling me they're now a mismatch to the point that they're gonna destroy us like the redskins did on SNF?

The Raiders are hot right now and if Downing can put it together, the defense has shown enough to think we have a good chance of winning.

Downing needs to give Cooper more plays in the slot and also allow him to run more deep crosses and posts against double coverage. He did last game and look at the results.

Also, you guys are forgetting how well our OL did against KC's pass rush. If they play like that this week, it'll be hard for us to lose.

Archived