Practice Squad

onejayhawk

Things have been chaotic, much more so that usual, possibly because there were more close calls than usual. 
https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2021/9/1/22652119/chiefs-practice-squad-tracker-roster-moves-trades-claims-and-more

PS Rules
https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/nfl-practice-squad-salaries-rules-2021/1wt851t0mlm9c1amafmqrx6dll

Tim Ward was claimed by the Jets
BoPete Keyes was claimed by the Colts
Darwin Thompson signed to the Tampa Bay PS

Officially signed, per NFL transactions report

S Zayne Anderson
CB DiCaprio Bootle
QB Shane Buechele
DT Tyler Clark
LB Omari Cobb
WR Gehrig Dieter
DL Austin Edwards
WR Maurice Ffrench
RB Derrick Gore
DE Demone Harris
S Devon Key
WR Cornell Powell
OL Prince Tega Wanogho
C Darryl Williams

DT Cortez Broughton
CB Shakur Brown

LB Christian Rozeboom

DT Benito Jones was reported as signed, but no official action to date

Edited by onejayhawk

More than a couple, though two are new to the team, DT Benito Jones and CB Shakur Brown. Two spots left. 

Nice thumbnail sketches on the players. 

I liked Brown as a late round pick last spring. He was not drafted and in Pittsburgh's camp. He had only the short 2020 season at CB, but still entered the draft early. He has a lot of upside, but also needs to learn a lot. He also has plays angry, so it will be interesting to see how he reacts to Mathieu and vice versa. Most rating services had a mid day #3 rating, so UDFA was a surprise. 

Jones is a big 1-tech most recently with the Dolphins. 2nd year UDFA from Ole Miss.

Edited by onejayhawk

5 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

Shakur Brown

Whoa! He wasn't on that list when I posted it. One of my faves in the draft. If anyone hasn't check the highlights, he's a ballhawk and a firecracker when tackling. Not big or super fast but he could be an ideal #2 CB if given enough opportunity

Edited by Chiefs_5627
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Chiefs_5627 said:

Whoa! He wasn't on that list when I posted it. One of my faves in the draft. If anyone hasn't check the highlights, he's a ballhawk and a firecracker when tackling. Not big or super fast but he could be an ideal #2 CB if given enough opportunity

Firecracker is right. I think his attitude hurt his draft chances, especially with the short season. If the staff and/or the Landlord can get him focused, we could have something nice. Last spring, someone called him one of the five best UDFA signings.

He is not undersized or slow, 5'10, 185, 4.61. His pro day did not go well which may also explain falling through the draft. The upside is that he has good strength and plays bigger than his size. All that said, he's probably not a CB2. If he's on the boundary, he should be in press with deep help. Well suited to slot and nickel assignments. 

J

Edited by onejayhawk

Unfortunately, reports of signing Shakur Brown may be unfounded. The morning after list does not contain him and others. However, it is also only 14 players, so negotiations may be in progress. 

However, we did re-sign Tyler Clark and Prince Tega Wanogho. 

Note that these are still reported or intended signings, not official.

J

Edited by onejayhawk

We are finally complete for the initial PS. Tyler Clark was released from PS and three players were signed, see below. 
https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/2021/09/03/chiefs-cortez-broughton-shakur-brown-christian-rozeboom-signed-to-practice-squad-tyler-clark-waived/

According to the NFL’s official transaction report, the Chiefs signed three players to the practice squad, while waiving another player. All three players had previously been reported on our practice squad tracker. The group includes former Chargers DT Cortez Broughton, former Rams LB Christian Rozeboom and former Steelers CB Shakur Brown.

Edited by onejayhawk

12 hours ago, kingseanjohn said:

Angry Season 9 GIF by Shameless

Sorry, but they got some other BIG guys.

Now that the mess is finally unraveled, this is a nice meet and greet article, with pics and a short introduction to each player. The first three are the one new to the Chiefs, though one had a movie moment last year. 
https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/lists/kansas-city-chiefs-initial-16-man-practice-squad-2021/

Edited by onejayhawk

10 minutes ago, mayanfootball said:

Tyler Clark, MIA........I concur with KING.......this is a loss. Clark could really push an Oline back, IMO.

I can handle the trade off of Tyler Clark for Cortez Boughton. Clark was more unmovable than a pusher and we have two better in Nnadi and Saunders.

Speaking of which, we will see how much moving Jones to DE and bringing in Reed will help the run D. There may be 2-3 better rushing attacks than Cleveland, but no more than that. At LB, I am guessing Bolton gets a trial by fire.

I started a thread on the 2022 draft. Most of what I posted was about expiring contracts. A big swath of the defense is rolling over--Nnadi, Ward, Hughes, Baker, Okafor, Niemann, Watts, Sorensen, Do'D,  and of course Reed and Mathieu. Some of these guys can be re-signed cheap, but not all. There is real doubt we can bring Mathieu back next season. 

J