MNF GDT Week 1: Ravens @ Raiders

NYRaider

Who wins/  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Winner?

• Raiders
    • Ravens

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

If Carr hits him there he finishes the game with 120 yards and a TD, lol.

If Carr hits him. 

See, here's the problem: IF a RB sees a giant hole spring open on his own 1 yard line and takes it 99 for the TD but finishes with 20 carries for 100 yards and a TD, does that make him a consistent workhorse back, or did he just happen to have that one lucky break in the game? 

We didn't take Ruggs that high to be a one trick deep threat, we took him to be our #1 WR. At this point, Edwards, Renfrow, and Waller are clearly ahead of him in pecking order, maybe even Ingold. And if we did take him with the hopes to successfully rely on deep bombs for him to be productive, with Carr as our QB and Gruden as our coach, then whoever made that decision is a moron. 

4 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

If Carr hits him. 

We didn't take Ruggs that high to be a one trick deep threat, we took him to be our #1 WR. At this point, Edwards, Renfrow, and Waller are clearly ahead of him in pecking order, maybe even Ingold. And if we did take him with the hopes to successfully rely on deep bombs for him to be productive, with Carr as our QB and Gruden as our coach, then whoever made that decision is a moron. 

Yes, it's Carr's job to hit him if he's running wide open 30 yards down the field instead of checking down to Ingold. 

Desean Jackson only averaged 59 receptions for 1,012 yards with the Eagles and was still a very impactful player. Carr was up and down to start the game and missed Waller/Ruggs wide open down the field on two plays that would've been TD's. With an extremely inexperienced OL in the game I think the gameplan was to just get the ball out of Carr's hands as quickly as possible which limited our ability to take shots down the field until late in the game when we had too. 

Bryan Edwards only had 1 target/0 catches with 37 seconds remaining in the game. Yet finished with 4 catches/84 yards because Carr started taking shots when the situation required him too. Ruggs will be fine and made two big catches for us on the drive that we tied the game 24-24 in the 4th quarter. I think in a game like this one using him as a decoy to take DB's down the field was necessary to open up things underneath for other guys because of our OL. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeremy408 said:

And then everyone switches their opinion lol

I wouldn't be. I'm on record saying we took a single use deep threat at 12 overall, and was told he was an excellent route runner and guaranteed production.

Now to mask his lack of overall production, we're harping on the one deep route he sprang open? 

Ruggs was the one Rd1 WR I didn't want last year. He's proven nothing but to be an average decoy who, according to the guy who loved him enough to draft him, "needs to work on his route running" (probably because all he did was rely on speed alone at Alabama while flanked by Jeudy, Waddle, Smith, multiple 1st round RBs, and two multi-time Heisman candidates at QB.)

Edited by ronjon1990
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

I wouldn't be. I'm on record saying we took a single use deep threat at 12 overall, and was told he was an excellent route runner and guaranteed production.

Now to mask his lack of overall production, we're harping on the one deep route he sprang open? 

Ruggs was the one Rd1 WR I didn't want last year. He's proven nothing but to be an average decoy who, according to the guy who loved him enough to draft him, "needs to work on his route running" (probably because all he did was rely on speed alone at Alabama while flanked by Friday, Waddle, Smith, multiple 1st round RBs, and two multi-time Heisman candidates at QB.)

See this take I respect because you’re standing by what you’re saying. Here’s my question for you though: what would it take to convince you otherwise?

Edited by Jeremy408

It's been one game against a team with the 6th best passing defense in the league last season and an All-Pro #1 CB.

1 minute ago, ronjon1990 said:

Looked like the same WR he did last year to me. All year. 

Running wide open down field while Carr fails to see him and getting limited targets? Yeah that did look pretty familiar. Did you expect us to have Carr standing in the pocket taking shots down the field with 4 new starters on the OL?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

See this take I respect because you’re standing by what you’re saying. Here’s my question for you though: what would it take to convince you otherwise?

1. Getting open on short and intermediate routes and actually making the tough catches. The play he was "draped" by Humphrey, a WR1 makes that catch. He's not consistently doing that. 

2. Not going down at the first touch. He's a small guy, and I can understand him not breaking out of tackles left and right. But dude's "blazing Underwear Olympics speed" rarely comes into play in any sort of traffic. This may be a bit pedantic, but look at Renfrow. He's tiny too, but makes up for it with, frankly, world-class route running and toughness. When I see him, with his pedestrian 4.6 speed, I have to wonder why Ruggs isn't performing with similar consistency. If Renfrow was running a  4.27, he'd be damn near unstoppable. Much like Agholor last year as well. 

3. More clear usage coming from the sidelines. Take, for example, the screen to Waller. I about LOL'd at the lunacy of not running that play through Ruggs. It seems more reasonable and practical than having him block for a TE, no? But that goes back to last year, when his route running and consistency was a point of needed improvement per team brass. Why aren't there more manufactured touches for him? Was it a 1-game approach? Or is it regular season game # 14 for him and he's still just adequate enough to use as a decoy and 11th body on the field because the offensive decision makers don't think he's come along enough to warrant the touches? Again, maybe a bit pedantic, but it seems more like a continuation of last season when he was sort of low key in the dog house for not being up to snuff, just with the added "new season" label. 

Give me those 3 things (with some leeway on point 3 because we'll simply never really know what Gruden's doing play by play) and I might be sold on him as a worthwhile 1st rounder and more than a fast WR4/5. As I've said before, we don't need just a deep threat, not with Carr and Gruden.  

26 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Running wide open down field while Carr fails to see him and getting limited targets? Yeah that did look pretty familiar. Did you expect us to have Carr standing in the pocket taking shots down the field with 4 new starters on the OL?

Worked pretty well when we did. 

But, no, I didn't. I don't expect any QB to. Too bad our recent 12th overall pick needs that to be productive. 

If I got you defending Carr, I must be doing something right though lol

I wouldn’t say Leatherwood was horrible, but he was certainly bad in pass protection. Hopefully he gets better. Simpson was also bad. And Andre James was terrible. Kolton Miller was great. 

Pass Protection still held up for the most part and Carr had a ton of time. But the line still has a long way to go.

Worked pretty well when we did. 

But, no, I didn't. I don't expect any QB to. Too bad our recent 12th overall pick needs that to be productive. 

If I got you defending Carr, I must be doing something right though lol

It worked out well at the end of the game when we had to start taking shots down the field or we would've lost. Carr was struggling with his reads and accuracy throughout the first half. 

I don't think he needs that to be productive, we can definitely do a much better job of getting him involved in the short passing game. But considering the matchup I think it was smart to use him as more of a decoy to open up things underneath for other players. 

I've been critical of Carr but the way he played in the second half/OT was the best that he has played since 2016. I have no doubt that Ruggs will get more looks as the year goes on, so will Edwards. But our gameplan was clearly to get the short passing game going and not make mistakes trying to force the ball down field. 

3 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

I wouldn’t say Leatherwood was horrible, but he was certainly bad in pass protection. Hopefully he gets better. Simpson was also bad. And Andre James was terrible. Kolton Miller was great. 

Pass Protection still held up for the most part and Carr had a ton of time. But the line still has a long way to go.

Yeah I think our pass protection was solid considering the circumstances. But the Ravens are also a team that depends on blitzes to generate pressure and their DL isn't great in terms of generating pressure. The most concerning thing for me was our run blocking, it looked terrible.