Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings (Marvel) (Spoilers)

Kiltman

Saw Shang Chi earlier today, and had a great time. Liked the story, action sequences (VERY well shot), acting performances, music, and most of the visuals. A lot better than my experience with Black Widow recently. It was nice to see San Francisco again personally, and to my surprise my current city was included. The English subtitles don't really do justice to some of the Chinese dialogue that is presented, but that is bound to happen with some lines due to pacing of certain scenes. When you do see Shang Chi be sure to of course stay until after all the credits have rolled. If it wasn't for COVID-19 I would go and see this film again in theaters, since the theater room I was in kind of sucked.

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe
  • Like 1

The only aspects of the movie that I could have done without was Trevor Slattery, as I feel that character is just best forgotten. He does help the main heroes at least get from point A to B, and his presence wasn't overbearing. And Death Dealer was a tease that just never amounted to anything. Mostly nitpicks though. 

As for beyond the scope of the film into the greater MCU, how did Bruce turn back into a human? Interesting. And the rings are a lot older than first suspected. Maybe Eternals link? 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

14 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

The only aspects of the movie that I could have done without was Trevor Slattery, as I feel that character is just best forgotten. He does help the main heroes at least get from point A to B, and his presence wasn't overbearing.

As a big hater of that twist in IM3, found the use of him enjoyable. Very goofy, but definitely added some context and speeding up of things.

I enjoyed it a lot, I think my only gripe really isn’t on the film but on expectations for the film. I thought the fight matches were going to be a way bigger thing and have way more cameos. Was over super fast.

Was a bit bumpy as they worked through a lot of the exposition and Simu didn’t really get as much time to shine on his own in the middle. But man did that come on at the end. Really bought in more and more as he was building up. To keep building and building and finally caching in on that true hero moment at the end of the fight was great.

I’m really glad they had all the flashbacks for Wenwu, got to be way more ruthless. Had it just been him so obviously falling for this trap it would’ve taken the teeth out of that character.

The mid credit scene with Wong might be one of my favorites ever. Teased something I have no clue what it could be with the rings, but then the Karaoke scenes as great. Liked Carol’s new look a lot, glad to see Bruce back.
Dug what they were doing at the end scene with his Sister, really sets up the ten rings to be something  to the MCU again, bigger than ever.

Speaking of which, everything with Xialing was very surprising and a really good chunk of that film.

1 hour ago, Deadpulse said:

My thoughts mirror @TecmoSuperJoe, might be a link to the Eternals or Celestials. 

Would make sense, especially being that old. Wonder when they shot that, since originally Eternals was going to be out first.

Just wonder what it could be as like a Shang-Chi 2 tease specifically. 
After watching it I kinda wouldn’t mind him staying in the more mystical/supernatural side of the MCU. Would be a fun character to see join in with the more traditional Midnight Sons type characters. As well as doing stuff with like Spider-Man or some of the younger heroes. I was kinda surprised how young they had the character be.

So I really enjoyed it. The dragon isn't Fing Fang Foom though, right?

I was kinda iffy about them introducing Slatery in this...I really despised the whole twist in IM3...but I ended up enjoying his character. 

The mid-credits scene is interesting. Wonder if this doesn't tie in to The Eternals or DS2 somehow.