Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings (Marvel) (Spoilers)

Kiltman

21 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

It allowed the villain to be complex thought, which was nice. I think if they had alluded to him being influenced by some other force earlier it wouldve been better. Or hell talk about it during the million flashbacks. 

I'm fine with presenting Wen Wu as shades of gray, but they did almost nothing to set up the big monster other than the scene where he "hears his wife" and the wood carving scene at Ta Lo.  That was it.  No strange incident earlier in the movie forshadowing, no glimpse of the evil hidden trying to escape, etc...  Wen Wu was  done pretty well, but he wasn't the big bad at the end.

1 hour ago, THE DUKE said:

I'm fine with presenting Wen Wu as shades of gray, but they did almost nothing to set up the big monster other than the scene where he "hears his wife" and the wood carving scene at Ta Lo.  That was it.  No strange incident earlier in the movie forshadowing, no glimpse of the evil hidden trying to escape, etc...  Wen Wu was  done pretty well, but he wasn't the big bad at the end.

I agree, but they were probably really gun shy on establishing that too early. This was supposed to be Mandarin's big righting of the ship. To have him be a puppet from the beginning probably would've pissed people off again. 

• Like 2

I went and saw it last night. I thought it was ok. Personally, I wanted more cool martial arts fighting and less magic/sorcery/saving the world. Objectively, the acting wasn't very good (except for Tony Leung and Ben Kingsley) and the humor fell almost entirely flat outside of Ben Kingsley. Watching Ben Kingsley on the same screen as all the actors was like when you watch one of those low budget foreign films that has a bunch of locals and Eric Bana in it or something and you can't help but notice the difference in acting skill level. Last thing was that Tony Leung's character should have been so much more fleshed out. There was no inner conflict, no sense of weariness for a guy who has lived a thousand years. All conflict for that character was coming from the outside, which was super disappointing. He was good, but that character could have been so much better.

CGI was great, the costumes looked great, everything looked really good. The fights that were actual hand to hand and not magic stuff were super well choregraphed (my personal preference is they weren't shot the way I like, but they still looked fine). Simu Liu really shined when he got to martial arts. I really wish the whole movie was just that. Overall, pretty ok Marvel movie, but I will say that I really liked it being the first movie I got to see in theaters in about 2 years. The big set pieces and CGI looked really really good.

I feel like I've been spoiled with martial arts fighting movies ever since I watched The Night Comes for Us. All these movies do is make me want to watch that again. Let Iko Uwais and Timo Tjahjanto make a Marvel movie please.

11 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

Wanted it so bad, I hope they saw all of that and we get it sometime soon. Either in a sequel or yeah on D+.

Disney+ just makes so much sense because then you can have a real anime esque arc with it. Hell, MAKE IT ANIME with all the voice actors like some combo of What if and Star Wars Visions. 

• Like 1

Just now, Deadpulse said:

Disney+ just makes so much sense because then you can have a real anime esque arc with it. Hell, MAKE IT ANIME with all the voice actors like some combo of What if and Star Wars Visions. 

Do this and have it be the surprise intro of Wolverine, people would lose it.

It’d be a really fun way to bring people back, intro new characters.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bullet Club said:

Isn't Secret Wars kind of like that?

Depends.

Secret Wars from the 80s featured the Beyonder bringing a team of heroes and a team of villains to Battleworld. This was less a tournament and more just team vs team gorilla warfare. If they go that route.. its probably the closest we'd get. 

Secret Wars from 2015 was much more convoluted. Dr. Doom and Molecule Man approach the Beyonders in a last ditch effort to save the multiverse as Earth 616 and the Ultimate Universe were about to collide and obliterate EVERYTHING. This was a long dangling thread for about a year in Marvel comics. When the Beyonders are like Nahhhhh we good, Doom betrayed molecule man and used his power to steal the power of the Beyonders for himself, making himself God Doom and stitching together a Battleworld from bits and pieces of the multiverse. There were oodles of different zones that he threw together, one was Old Man Logan post apocalyptic, one was zombies, etc etc. They had every Thor variant you could think of serving as a police force under "Sherrif Strange". It was basically Doom's playground as he made the fantastic four family HIS family. The only reason any of this gets undone is because select heroes from the Ultimate Universe and 616 stowed away on a ship that exempted them from Doom's meddling with reality. 

So if it's that one... not at all lol

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

Depends.

Secret Wars from the 80s featured the Beyonder bringing a team of heroes and a team of villains to Battleworld. This was less a tournament and more just team vs team gorilla warfare. If they go that route.. its probably the closest we'd get. 

Secret Wars from 2015 was much more convoluted. Dr. Doom and Molecule Man approach the Beyonders in a last ditch effort to save the multiverse as Earth 616 and the Ultimate Universe were about to collide and obliterate EVERYTHING. This was a long dangling thread for about a year in Marvel comics. When the Beyonders are like Nahhhhh we good, Doom betrayed molecule man and used his power to steal the power of the Beyonders for himself, making himself God Doom and stitching together a Battleworld from bits and pieces of the multiverse. There were oodles of different zones that he threw together, one was Old Man Logan post apocalyptic, one was zombies, etc etc. They had every Thor variant you could think of serving as a police force under "Sherrif Strange". It was basically Doom's playground as he made the fantastic four family HIS family. The only reason any of this gets undone is because select heroes from the Ultimate Universe and 616 stowed away on a ship that exempted them from Doom's meddling with reality. 

Gotcha. Anime tournament arcs are incredible. Would love to see a superhero one on screen. In a novel I'm writing that's what I'm doing.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

Depends.

Ha yeah,

I think when they do Secret Wars it'll be moreso like 2015, just a little more simplified and moving around some of the major players.
Like while it'd be great to get Doom to that level, I could see them twisting it to be Kang.
But it'd be such a crazy opportunity to bring anything Marvel back, like anything they wanted to could be in there. 

5 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

Depends.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Nice to see an Asian American cast as an Amerasian myself. As really they do not just fight really well but can also act. Usually people who are action stars just are there for the action and do not know how to act. As it had wit, drama, and action all the way non stop. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...