Will Baker Mayfield cement himself as a top-10 QB this year?

WizeGuy

Will Baker cement himself as a top-10 QB this year?  

105 members have voted

1. 1. What say you?

Are we talking passer rating or some other criteria? Take a look at the top 10 passer rating QBs year in and year out. Very few QBs are ever cemented in there.

Brady, Rodgers, Wilson, and Mahomes are 4 examples and Allen could be the next guy.

Even Rodgers has bounced out of the top 10 from time to time. (injury and performance)

Most of the others are like  Matt Ryan who bounces around from top 15 to top 5 based on the year.

Dak was 3, 17, 14, 10, (12-15 range not qualified based on attempts) Is he a top 10 QB?

Is he a top 3 guy like 2016 or a 13th best guy based on the rest of his career?  (incoming tantrum)

Wentz was 25th, 4th, 4th, 13th, and 34th in passer rating so far. (he's played a game or 2 less than Dak but has 199 more attempts)

Cousins was 5, 7, 12, 10, 4, and 8 the last 6 seasons. He's got to be top 10, right?

Tannehill is 1 and 5 in 2 years as a Titan and he just got Julio. (he was 12, injured, and 20 in his last 3 years in Miami)

Edited by SkippyX

3 hours ago, ClutchDJ said:

Can you really say with full confidence that you would wake Russell Wilson over Lamar Jackson heading into 2021?

Better Question is Josh Allen:

Lamar's Best Season > Allen's Best Season

Lamar's Second Best Season > Allen's Second Best Season

Lamar's Rookie Season > Allen's Rookie Season

All three of the above are solidly clear statements. So what are we doing?

I have been on the pro-Allen side since pre-draft, but placing him a level above Jackson now makes no sense. Lamar deserves more credit for how much he adds to his offensive situation. It would take a top QB performance to make this year's Ravens an above average offense, and I expect Lamar to do it.

Edited by wackywabbit
  • Like 1

Strangely, it almost all depends on the connection with OBJ. Baker carries a passer rating of 72.4 when targeting Beckham, and 89.9 when targeting anyone else since 2019.

And it's not as if he's simply forcing it in there and OBJ isn't ever getting open.... it's just terrible timing/reads, accuracy, and drops. It's not a coincidence that it looked like a flip was switched the moment OBJ left the field last year.

Best scenario is for Stefanski to ease OBJ into snaps, using heath as an excuse, to try and let Mayfield pick it up where he left off then incorporate him back in. This chemistry kerfuffle has literally been Mayfield's achilles heel. If it keeps into this season it's going to ****** his confidence, even if OBJ is traded.

Edited by BrownLeader

3 hours ago, Soggust said:

Yes lol.

3 hours ago, SBLIII said:

Wilson is a top 5 QB, so yes.

3 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

Yes.

1 hour ago, Jeezla said:

With full confidence and zero hesitation. 

27 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

The Good Fight Yes GIF by Paramount+

-One has a Super Bowl

-One can win a game as a passer 

24 minutes ago, Blackstar12 said:

I was also going to quote him but I think he got the picture lol.

So, no concern going forward after Russell’s incredible drop off in the 2nd half last season & getting up there in age? Alrighty then.

The development and projection of NFL QBs are based mostly on passing. You can be Michael Vick and have moments and start strong, but its the passing that keeps you around. Allen's projection  > Jackson's projection based on that.

Allen also has the normal progression of year 1 to 2 to 3 while Jackson took a big step back last year.

Both are very good but Allen should be projected higher.

The Ravens are running a college offense at a very high level. It worked for DC for a year. It worked for SF for about 3 years. It may work out in Baltimore for a few more years.

Its never been sustainable.

Just now, ClutchDJ said:

So, no concern going forward after Russell’s incredible drop off in the 2nd half last season & getting up there in age? Alrighty then.

would you disagree that he is a top 5 QB?

Yeah, if he is average this year I would change that opinion.

But age 32 is not a concerning age to me for a QB. 

4 minutes ago, ClutchDJ said:

With modern medicine and technology I’m not concerned at all with his age (32). This isn’t the 90s or 2000s lol.

• Like 1

The only thing against Baker has been his batted down passes and his size. He's never missed a game, he's accurate, he's a gamer, he is capable of spreading the ball around to whoever happens to be in the game. He just usually isn't asked with carrying the team. The Browns are built to run and to succeed in cold weather. He has two top ten running backs on his team. He just hasn't had to yet. 

This is also the first year of his career where he will be in the same offense for a second straight year, and bear in mind that last season his team was ravaged by injuries in the WR room and he didn't have the offseason or preseason to get any work in. I think the best thing that has happened to him is the Freddie year. He's been humbled and remains hungry to put his stamp on the league. I don't think he'll ever really be better than like a Drew Brees/Russ Wilson kind of light-weight hybrid. I think he'll keep his team in contention for the duration of his career and that the Browns will always be a threat and will win at least a Super Bowl. But Brees and Russ are kind of fringe top 5-10 guys depending on the year and have been models of consistency. Cleveland is lucky to have someone like him to carve out an actual chapter of sustained success since the return. 

Just being honest I would rank these guys firmly ahead of him: 

1) Mahomes 2) Allen 3) Wilson 4) Rodgers 5) Brady 6) Herbert 7) Dak and that's really it. Obviously Lamar is better than him so far, but has proven a liability in his playoff appearances. It's hard to say that he's better than Baker when Baker got it done in his first playoff appearance and can make big time big moment plays with his arm. I think Lawrence will probably be better in the long run. Maybe Burrow, but he got hurt the first year. Kyler is pretty similar to Baker so far, but he is asked to win games, and is the better runner of the two. And his offense is wide open and tailored to him. Baker has been handcuffed a bit. But Kyler hasn't smelled the postseason yet and and Baker handled himself when he did. I'll say that Kyler is the better individual player so far but the circumstances and offenses make a true comparison valid. 

Then there's Tannehill, Matt Ryan, Stafford, etc. Probably a handful of comparable guys at that point. 

Half the list I just name will all be retired soon and Baker is already (IMO) a top 8-12 guy (probably 8-15 since that second level of QBs is so deep).  However, in a couple of years, I do think he'll be firmly in that top 5-8 guys and always a threat to take Cleveland to the playoffs or be a darkhorse MVP type should everything go right. If Baker wins a single MVP and a Super Bowl he's basically new Drew/Russ.

• Like 2