Wheel of Time Season 2 (Sept 1 Amazon Prime)

The Gnat

Not sure if this show is going to stay grounded enough to hit big with the masses. LotR and GoT had magical elements and creatures but the heart of it was in the grounded characters who trudge through the mundane. Jon Snow and Aragorn are popular characters because they are just men with swords IMO.

Still, I am here for this. 

2 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

Not sure if this show is going to stay grounded enough to hit big with the masses. LotR and GoT had magical elements and creatures but the heart of it was in the grounded characters who trudge through the mundane. Jon Snow and Aragorn are popular characters because they are just men with swords IMO.

Still, I am here for this. 

Yeah, this is definitely going to be more magical, I think GoT in the books is more "magical" but audiences will be more primed for some more magic because of LotR and GoT

23 minutes ago, The Gnat said:

Yeah, this is definitely going to be more magical, I think GoT in the books is more "magical" but audiences will be more primed for some more magic because of LotR and GoT

GoT at its core is a study on the human condition within that world. There is a big bad coming, but it so on the backburner. If you polled GoT tv only fans, I would bet most would say they came back for the grounded character work of Tyrion, Jamie, Bryanne, Rob, Jon Snow, Dany, etc and not the white walker threat looming. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, The Gnat said:

I'm very interested after seeing that trailer. The series is solid as books, but bloated, I'm hoping the show will be able to help clean that up.

I stopped reading after book 3. It felt so derivative when I first started reading the series. I heard it got better when Brandon Sanderson took over after Jordan’s death. 

19 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

GoT at its core is a study on the human condition within that world. There is a big bad coming, but it so on the backburner. If you polled GoT tv only fans, I would bet most would say they came back for the grounded character work of Tyrion, Jamie, Bryanne, Rob, Jon Snow, Dany, etc and not the white walker threat looming. 

I would've formerly fallen into this category, and this is spot on, for me, personally.  The White Walker angle was by far the least interesting part of GoT.