Wheel of Time Season 2 (Sept 1 Amazon Prime)

The Gnat

39 minutes ago, Tk3 said:

does anyone remember exactly when GoT blew up? was it from Ep 1, or was it at the end of the season when everyone went back and caught up and then exploded for Season 2?

I remember hearing about it sometime around mid season, but I didn't watch it until just before season 2.

2 hours ago, Tk3 said:

idk if I can agree with ANY of this. Firstly, I don't think its crazy for it to be a "wait and see" thing for the rest of them.

Secondly, I think we've already seen *interesting* things about all 5 of them so far, several very overtly, which should let us know that they have paths to interesting characters besides "not being the dragon"

It feels like you are asking for one narrow and tidy storyline from a story that is epic in scope

I am asking for solid character work. Being epic in scope does not excuse this. In fact, it is more important as a grounding element or you lose the audience. Its not too much to ask for the characters to have defining character traits and their own goals and ambitions outside of being the Dragon. Are their "interesting" things about them? Sure, you could argue that. However none of those things point the characters in their own unique directions. They all just seem along for the ride. Episode 4 started to change that, as I said, but it still needs more development. The wait and see is fine, but I still need reasons to root for them in the meantime. 

Also, I am not asking for one narrow and tidy storyline, I am asking for many branching storylines that interact with each other and send their many characters down various paths. This show, right now, is one narrow and tidy storyline for FIVE characters and its boring. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PrplChilPill said:

No one I know feels they need the shorts or anything outside the show to understand it. 

I want to point out that I never said it was necessary. Someone brought up as something that could give me insight on things I had an issue with and all I said was I hope thats not true because if I, as a new viewer, needs a companion piece to understand the goings on of the show then thats a major indictment. It's great that this isnt the case after all here.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

I guess I just don't agree with you guys about their characters arcs lol

I don't want to make this a GoT thread, but Arya was always trending away from 'princess' and trying to be a warrior of some kind. Sansa was basically a villain and foil for Arya. Robb was the self important but likable prince taking over for dear ole dad. This are clear roles in the overall narrative for each character from episode one. I don't think we have that for the Twin Rivers gang. 

I guess using LOTR instead, how interesting were Merry and Pippin in FOTR versus where they end up in ROTK? Heck, even Sam? Frodo was the one who was going to carry the ring after all.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Xenos said:

I guess using LOTR instead, how interesting were Merry and Pippin in FOTR versus where they end up in ROTK? Heck, even Sam? Frodo was the one who was going to carry the ring after all.

way more interesting IMO. They had a ton of chemistry and clear role as comedic relief who immediately were thrust into a clear new path after being captured within 1.5 hours of footage (or less than 2 episodes). Nothing that interesting has happened to these peeps in that time. They ran away from some dark **** that hasnt been explained yet. 

16 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

way more interesting IMO. They had a ton of chemistry and clear role as comedic relief who immediately were thrust into a clear new path after being captured within 1.5 hours of footage (or less than 2 episodes). Nothing that interesting has happened to these peeps in that time. They ran away from some dark **** that hasnt been explained yet. 

You didnt think:

1. Group fights a darkfriend and a fade, meets a gleeman, learns about a whole different race was interesting?

2. Almost dies, meets a whole different race, learns about the "way of the leaf" and has wicked dreams...

and 

3. Group 3 has 2 main characters on the brink of death. You meet the people who control the world. You meet a dude with almost god like powers. You learn that the town doctor can heal like 15 people at one time with magic...

I mean - none of that was interesting to you? It almost feels like you are trying to be a contrarian. Or maybe thats just boring to you, I dunno. Its not boring to me. Its very interesting. Especially because we know one of them becomes he-man of the WOT universe and slowly we are seeing that at least 3 of them have magic (5th girl, Ewgene, Mat).....

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

You didnt think:

1. Group fights a darkfriend and a fade, meets a gleeman, learns about a whole different race was interesting?

2. Almost dies, meets a whole different race, learns about the "way of the leaf" and has wicked dreams...

and 

3. Group 3 has 2 main characters on the brink of death. You meet the people who control the world. You meet a dude with almost god like powers. You learn that the town doctor can heal like 15 people at one time with magic...

I mean - none of that was interesting to you? It almost feels like you are trying to be a contrarian. Or maybe thats just boring to you, I dunno. Its not boring to me. Its very interesting. Especially because we know one of them becomes he-man of the WOT universe and slowly we are seeing that at least 3 of them have magic (5th girl, Ewgene, Mat).....

I already said in a previous post that episode four started fixing most of my issues with the character development 

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

I already said in a previous post that episode four started fixing most of my issues with the character development 

Let’s hope it continues. They really should have done a better job with the first half of the pilot.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

You didnt think:

and 

Ewgene

1. Dark friend, fade, gleeman, none of that really means that much as of yet. None of them have really been developed more than an orc or a Barliman at the Prancing Pony is developed in LotR. We really haven't gone much deeper than "scary looking thing bad, pretty people good"

2. The gypsy knockoff group (except non-violent) and the way of the leaf seem primed to be ground beneath the wheel here before too long, especially if big man and Egwain(?) are with them. As of yet this hasn't really moved the narrative forward, but I can maybe see where it's going.

3. The false dragon has arguably been the most developed character in the show so far outside of Moraine and Lan, and he just had his smoke ripped out.

I see Ewgene and hear Eugene. Its supposed to sound like Egg-Wain, right?

I'm being a little bit of a devil's advocate here, but the character development has been pretty paper thin so far and they keep going for spectacle that hasn't earned any emotional weight yet.

• Like 1