Raiders sign LB K.J. Wright

Turnobili

5 hours ago, FloydFan said:

Thought this was a KJ Wright thread and not the 1000th freaking Carr thread 🙄

This all started because I said with the improvements on defense if the offense can repeat what they did last year we should be in the playoffs.  Then it turn into the team sucks and Carr has to work with one of the worst rosters in the league.  The the rebuttal is we did have some talent but Guenther screwed it up.  Then some weeks the defense showed up and the offense was the problem. It is the same digression everytime with the different beginnings.  Sadly this will be the theme for this team until we either move on from Carr or Carr takes us deep into the playoffs.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

That's actually insane.

He's a little older now but he has played in all 16 games over the past two seasons, one at WLB and last year at SLB. There's a reason he was voted as the 67th best player in the league in 2021, over those 2 seasons he has put up 218 tackles, 22 TFL, 2 sacks, 21 passes defended, and 4 interceptions. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

He's a little older now but he has played in all 16 games over the past two seasons, one at WLB and last year at SLB. There's a reason he was voted as the 67th best player in the league in 2021, over those 2 seasons he has put up 218 tackles, 22 TFL, 2 sacks, 21 passes defended, and 4 interceptions. 

Yeah he's still a damn good starter. We only need 2 of Littleton/Kwit/Perryman/Morrow (back from injury) to hit and we will have a very good LB core imo.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Yeah he's still a damn good starter. We only need 2 of Littleton/Kwit/Perryman/Morrow (back from injury) to hit and we will have a very good LB core imo.

Ideally Morrow will be back sooner rather than later, if he is I'd assume that Wright/Littleton/Perryman/Morrow get the majority of the snaps. 

Littleton had 259 tackles, 15 TFL, 7.5 sacks, 22 passes defended and 5 interceptions in his last two years with the Rams. I'm really optimistic he can bounce back under Gus. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Ideally Morrow will be back sooner rather than later, if he is I'd assume that Wright/Littleton/Perryman/Morrow get the majority of the snaps. 

Littleton had 259 tackles, 15 TFL, 7.5 sacks, 22 passes defended and 5 interceptions in his last two years with the Rams. I'm really optimistic he can bounce back under Gus. 

We'll see. I think he looked super discombobulated with Guenther so I'll give him a pass.

58 minutes ago, Turnobili said:

Lol Guenther doesn’t explain why Littleton couldn’t cover backs out of the backfield. He needs to play better 

Exactly.  It's the ultimate copout excuse.  It's never that the player sucks, it's Gunther....

Littleton shined on a D littered with talent, we don't have that in LV.  Do I think Bradley is an upgrade over Gunther, sure but to what degree?  

I've seen the same optimism and victim mentality on here for a decade.  It's never our player personal, there's always a scapegoat and excuses as to why they underperform. 

I read all of the same stuff when Tarver, KNJ and Gunther were brought in....  It was the last guys fault and that this new scheme was going to propel this D out of the bottom of the league.  I'm not holding my breath....  Do I think we improve on D, I do but not to the level that you guys are claiming.  

Edited by Frankie2Gunz

11 minutes ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

Exactly.  It's the ultimate copout excuse.  It's never that the player sucks, it's Gunther....

Littleton shined on a D littered with talent, we don't have that in LV.  Do I think Bradley is an upgrade over Gunther, sure but to what degree?  

I've seen the same optimism and victim mentality on here for a decade.  It's never our player personal, there's always a scapegoat and excuses as to why they underperform. 

I read all of the same stuff when Tarver, KNJ and Gunther were brought in....  It was the last guys fault and that this new scheme was going to propel this D out of the bottom of the league.  I'm not holding my breath....  Do I think we improve on D, I do but not to the level that you guys are claiming.  

yeah, none of this isn't to say that Guenther didn't underperform. What happened to those exotic double a-gap looks that were supposed to confuse offenses and create free rushers?

but blaming Guenther for every player's individual shortcomings is a copout

Edited by Turnobili
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Turnobili said:

yeah, none of this isn't to say that Guenther didn't underperform. What happened to those exotic double a-gap looks that were supposed to confuse offenses and create free rushers?

but blaming Guenther for every player's individual shortcomings is a copout

You’re not wrong, but Littleton clearly played better under Marinelli than he did under Guenther. 

51 minutes ago, IdigtheRaiders! said:

You’re not wrong, but Littleton clearly played better under Marinelli than he did under Guenther. 

1 hour ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

Players were better under Pagano when we got rid of KNJ.  Players got better under Marinelli when we got rid of Guenther.  It is not an excuse if the players perform better.  It adds evidence to what we thought.  KNJ and Guenther are not good DCs.  Now there are some players that are not good but overall if you give GB the same players from last year the defense would still improve.  Just seeing the players in the right place at the right time during the pre-season lets me know he has done a better job coaching the defense.  Arnette is still not a 1st round CB and Ferrell is still not worth a top 15 pick.

Just now, drfrey13 said:

Players were better under Pagano when we got rid of KNJ.  Players got better under Marinelli when we got rid of Guenther.  It is not an excuse if the players perform better.  It adds evidence to what we thought.  KNJ and Guenther are not good DCs.  Now there are some players that are not good but overall if you give GB the same players from last year the defense would still improve.  Just seeing the players in the right place at the right time during the pre-season lets me know he has done a better job coaching the defense.  Arnette is still not a 1st round CB and Ferrell is still not worth a top 15 pick.

We had the worst, most pathetic D of the decade....  "players were better"  LOL  

That's like saying a trash bin fire is better than a dumpster fire....

On 9/3/2021 at 8:00 PM, Frankie2Gunz said:

Once again we have ESPN saying we have a 25% chance at a top 5 pick, PFF saying we have one of the worst rosters in the NFL, +8000 (27th) Vegas odds to win the SB and your opinion is we have a talented roster.  Hahahahaha

I couldn't make up this blatant homerism if I tried, yet you want to blame Carr if we don't make the playoffs. 

You need to stop using betting odds as evidence to support your claim when it comes to how talented or untalented our team is. 

Odds aren't always an indication of talent or whether a team is good. It's about the sports book making the odds making money... I'm not saying talent doesn't go into it at all, but what goes into it significantly that you are completely writing off viewing it this way, is their attempts at balancing things in their favor and ensuring they aren't forced to payout ridiculous money. Another aspect is that the odds are always changing depending on the time of year. Based in large part around where the money has already been placed by betters. 

Lets use last year for example. 

They had us as a +4000 to win the super bowl, with an over under for wins at 7.5. We hit the over. Would you argue the team last year is clearly a superior team to our roster this year? I wouldn't overall. But we could debate that. What isn't debatable though was preseason last year (the + obviously being odds to win the super bowl) they had the Patriots with the same exact odds as us, the Bills were +3000 with an over under of 9, the Packers were +3000 with an over under of 8.5, the Eagles were +3000 with an over under of 9.5, the Vikings were +2000 with an over under of 9, the Cowboys were +1200 with an over under of 10, the 49ers had the same odds as the Bucs (third best in the NFL) +1000 but the Bucs over under was 9.5 and the 49ers was 10.5. The Ravens had the 2nd best odds to win the super bowl at +500 to the Chiefs +450. Yet the Ravens lost in the divisional round to the Bills who were literally the next time above us and the Patriots in terms of odds (tied with 3 other teams) at 11th overall in terms of odds. 

On the flip side you have teams like the Dolphins who coming into the season had the 5th worst odds in the NFL to win it all at +10000 and an over under of 6, the Football team had the 2nd worst odds at +30000 and an over under of 5, the Browns were +5000 with an over under of 8.5, the Rams were +5000 with an over under of 8.5 as well. All of those teams had worse odds than we did to win it all last season, and all of them either made the playoffs or they were the first one out. 

Would you say that we clearly have a better roster last season than the Browns, Rams, Football team, Dolphins? Would you say we had an inferior roster to the Eagles, Vikings, Cowboys? Would you say that our roster is literally exactly equal in terms of overall talent to the Patriots, and Broncos (whos odds were identical to ours and the Patriots at +4000 and an o/u of 7.5)? Would you say our roster was next in line directly behind the Packers, Bills, and Titans in terms of talent overall?

Do use the odds the way that you do as a clear indictment on talent like that is the only thing that goes into those odds you better answer yes to all of those questions, because that is what the Vegas odds makers said about our talent level. And you can't have it both ways. 

It's not always about talent or the rosters overall strength. A LARGE part of it is fluctuating and making sure the money that has came in on bets for teams doesn't leave the book in a legitimately dangerous position to having to pay out more than they bring in. That is something that has nothing to do with talent but does contribute heavily to the odds. 

I fail to see what on this team roster wise is such a sure thing to be significantly worse this season compared to last that will surely tank our success this season. Perhaps the OL. But QB? Nope. WR? Nope, not a sure thing to be worse, in fact could be significantly better with growth from a couple of high potential 2nd year guys, TE? Obviously not. RB? Nobody could argue that spot hasn't been improved overall. DE? Not even close. LB? Clearly a better unit than last season. CB? It might not be a good unit, but in my eyes it's clearly better than last season. Same with S. Depth overall? I don't see it. 

Is a new center and RT (because Good may not have been the starter coming into last season but he did play as guard or RT almost the entire year, same with Richie being out but was apart of their odds set prior to last year) really going to tank the team that significantly? If it's all about talent you are saying the odds makers are saying James starting at Center, Richie coming off an injury, and Leatherwood starting at RT is guaranteed to be a worse unit, but is also going to be so bad that it will be bad enough to overcome improvements (we can argue how much) at RB, TE (with Moreau taking Wittens snaps), DE, DT, LB, CB, and S to derail the entire season. 

Last question, have the Panthers, Giants, Falcons, Cardinals, Football team, Broncos, Chargers, Dolphins ALL, as in every single one of those teams, improved so significantly over our roster and the changes we have made this season that they with certainty passed our team in terms of overall talent? Once again, this answer HAS to be yes in addition to all those other questions I've already asked for the odds to be solely indicative of teams overall talent level and nothing else. Because all of those teams had worse odds than us last year to win it all (except the Broncos who were tied) last season and have better odds to win it all this season. 

Perhaps there is more to odds than simply how talented teams are...

• Like 1