Rack's 2022 Mock Draft - Final Edition - Updated

rackcs

33 minutes ago, rackcs said:

Opinions vary on Green. Last season he was exactly what you were saying, a slam dunk day 1 starter. This year he's been a bit down but that's because a bunch of the other OL for Texas A&M were drafted and so he was asked to play out of position at OT early on and then had to carry a bunch of inexperienced guys for much of the year. For my money I still think he's very good and should easily be a day one starter but opinions do vary on him.

Good to know I got things right in regards to CB and TE. I see your point on DT and will keep that in mind going forward. And then as for Harrison, I agree. He barely slipped into the 4th round for me. He's all hype from being a highly touted prospect. Like you said, the athleticism is absolutely intriguing so I do think he'll be a mid-late round kind of guy but the play is just not good enough for as high as some have him.

I was going to say something similar.  I think your Bengals strategy for four rounds is spot on, but I'd do it differently.

we have a bunch of young, raw OGs.  So Green wouldn't be the way I'd go there in the first.  Once that domino falls, here's how I'd go given the board:

1.  Trent McDuffie  CB   We need a starter to replace Waynes, and here is the best zone CB in the draft (we play a ton of zone).  

2.  Since we took a CB in the first, I'd change this pick to either an OT or OG (Zion Johnson or Faalele, given your board, or similarly ranked players)

3.  Jarrett Patterson is the pick here.  Hopkins is average on a good day, and has lots of not-so-good days, to put it mildly.  The only way they don't take a center is if they are ready to insert Trey Hill into the starting lineup full time.

4.  I can definitely see them going TE here, but if they go OT in the second, I could see an OG like Munford here.  Like Duke said, I'm more than willing to gamble on Harrison here, but we have a glut at DE (Hendrickson, Hubbard, Ossai returning from IR), Sample and Kareem all under contract for awhile, so maybe they go 3T instead.

No matter how it falls, thanks for the great effort on this.

14 minutes ago, INbengalfan said:

I was going to say something similar.  I think your Bengals strategy for four rounds is spot on, but I'd do it differently.

we have a bunch of young, raw OGs.  So Green wouldn't be the way I'd go there in the first.  Once that domino falls, here's how I'd go given the board:

1.  Trent McDuffie  CB   We need a starter to replace Waynes, and here is the best zone CB in the draft (we play a ton of zone).  

2.  Since we took a CB in the first, I'd change this pick to either an OT or OG (Zion Johnson or Faalele, given your board, or similarly ranked players)

3.  Jarrett Patterson is the pick here.  Hopkins is average on a good day, and has lots of not-so-good days, to put it mildly.  The only way they don't take a center is if they are ready to insert Trey Hill into the starting lineup full time.

4.  I can definitely see them going TE here, but if they go OT in the second, I could see an OG like Munford here.  Like Duke said, I'm more than willing to gamble on Harrison here, but we have a glut at DE (Hendrickson, Hubbard, Ossai returning from IR), Sample and Kareem all under contract for awhile, so maybe they go 3T instead.

No matter how it falls, thanks for the great effort on this.

Interesting. So you think it's realistically possible for the Bengals to go OT, OG, and C by the 4th round? I try to avoid stuff like that in my mocks because it seems unrealistic to me but I do definitely get it/think it would be a good idea.

This ain’t it for JAX.

No WR (on a team that’s among the worst in that department), and taking Neal over an edge at the top when it’s fairly certain the two edges are the top values in the draft.

Trevor is cooked if this were to play out lol.

4 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

This ain’t it for JAX.

No WR (on a team that’s among the worst in that department), and taking Neal over an edge at the top when it’s fairly certain the two edges are the top values in the draft.

yeah. it has to be Thibs at 2 and then a WR at the top of the 2nd. Either David Bell or George Pickens is fine with me. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

This ain’t it for JAX.

10 minutes ago, Adrenaline_Flux said:

yeah. it has to be Thibs at 2 and then a WR at the top of the 2nd. Either David Bell or George Pickens is fine with me. 

I didn't realize the WR need was so strong for the Jags, I'll consider that next time.

As for Neal vs the EDGE guys, I personally have Neal right up there with them as a top prospect, he's my #2 in the class. I think it's too early in the process to say it's clear about any sort of rankings yet. I considered Thibodeaux obviously but ultimately thought it smart to help your young QB. And it's a very deep EDGE class too. So in future additions for sure Thibs/Hutchinson will be considered there, I just ultimately went in a different direction this time.

16 minutes ago, rackcs said:

I didn't realize the WR need was so strong for the Jags, I'll consider that next time.

As for Neal vs the EDGE guys, I personally have Neal right up there with them as a top prospect, he's my #2 in the class. I think it's too early in the process to say it's clear about any sort of rankings yet. I considered Thibodeaux obviously but ultimately thought it smart to help your young QB. And it's a very deep EDGE class too. So in future additions for sure Thibs/Hutchinson will be considered there, I just ultimately went in a different direction this time.

He’s currently got Laquon Treadwell and Tavon Austin running around as primary targets.

1 hour ago, rackcs said:

Interesting. So you think it's realistically possible for the Bengals to go OT, OG, and C by the 4th round? I try to avoid stuff like that in my mocks because it seems unrealistic to me but I do definitely get it/think it would be a good idea.

Not sure that the front office would do it, but Joe Burrow would approve.  Obviously free agency could be used as well, but right now, this line is bottom two in pressure/sacks/hurries metrics

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, INbengalfan said:

Not sure that the front office would do it, but Joe Burrow would approve.  Obviously free agency could be used as well, but right now, this line is bottom two in pressure/sacks/hurries metrics

If I were making the decisions, I resign Reiff and Spain, then spend serious money to lure Ryan Jensen away from Tampa Bay to play C

• Like 1

2 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

If I were making the decisions, I resign Reiff and Spain, then spend serious money to lure Ryan Jensen away from Tampa Bay to play C

Agreed.  But I wouldn't be opposed to finding a long term answer at RT over an aging Reiff.  Heck, I'd enter the Orlando Brown sweepstakes and pay him top tackle money regardless of which side they put Jonah, or just move him to OG (unlikely) and let Spain walk.  Mike brown won't so it doesn't matter.

• Like 1

On 12/15/2021 at 9:10 AM, scar988 said:

Stingley would be great. Love it.

The Falcons going RB and QB in the 2nd would be a massive waste. Especially since RBs aren't worth that kind of value and they could just re-sign Patterson and go with someone later and no QB in this draft is worth taking. Falcons should go WR or EDGE or S or something there. Ideally in my head, they go Myjai Sanders and then Lewis Cine to pair with Stingley.

Can never go wrong with defensive front 7.

Not disagreeing with you much here but I gotta ask why Safety over like other positions. Not a fan of Hawkins or Grant I'm guessing? 

For the Bengals, if they miss the playoffs, they may be drafting higher and hoping for Linderbaum or Gardner to be available. Trae Waynes won't be back for 16 mil. When Rieff was healthy earlier in the year, he played pretty well so the team may well re-sign him. They'll tag Jesse Bates if they don't reach a new deal in time.

CB and IOL are biggest needs. Spain will be a free agent and the team will likely try to re-sign him. Hopkins should be replaced and not by Trey Hill. RG has been a revolving cast of Suo-Fila, Carman, Smith, and Adeniji. Depending on free agency and how the draft board falls the team may take a LB early. It would be nice to add a playmaker to the group but we probably have bigger needs elsewhere.

Regarding the OSU players, I think Munford will go before day 3 or at least he should. Zach Harrison may not even enter the draft. He didn't do a lot in 2021 but would probably benefit from Knowles as DC. His schemes put stress on the secondary but let the Dline feast. That could boost Harrison up to round 2 at least. Of course he may lose his job to JTT or Sawyer. 

On 12/14/2021 at 2:17 PM, rackcs said:

31. New England Patriots - Zay Flowers, WR, Boston College

1ST Nice draft for the Pats and great overall effort. Thanks

I like the player however IMO Pats draft John Metchie III, WR, Alabama over Flowers.

Reason

Mac Jones has played with Metchie.

Alabama connection and better competition with track record.

He can do more (inside/out) in the passing game. Pats love versatility. Flowers more long ball.

Pats have never been concerned with stretching the field. They had one during the TB years, Moss. IMO they made that trade base on the price tag as well as the talent.