2022 Roster Prediction

DR43

I am thinking Ben is coming back.  He is going to have to be cut and not picked up by another team in order to retire.

I think we'll resign Terrell.

QB: Ben, Rudolph, Draft Pick

RB: Najee, Snell, McFarland, Ballage

FB: Watt

TE: Freiermuth, Gentry, FA

OL: Draft pick, Other Draft Pick, Moore, Dotson, Chuks, Banner, Green, JC, FA

WR: Chase, Diante, Draft pick, RayX2, FA

DL: Cam, Buggs, Tuitt, Davis, Loudermilk, Draft Pick

OLB: Watt, Highsmith, Jamir Jones, Ingram 

ILB: Bush, Gilbert, Schobert, Johnson, Allen

CB: Sutton, Pierre, Layne, THE Mark Gilbert, Draft Pick, FA

S: Minkah, Returning Terrell, Norwood, FA

PT: Pressley
K: Boswell
LS: Kuntz

A franchise QB is probably going to require a trade up...very possible though.

Id assume they get a solid FA for the OL and somewhere in the secondary.

Very early top 3 rounds next years draft if no trade up for QB....some combo of OL/DB/WR/TE.

3 hours ago, AFF said:

Id assume they get a solid FA for the OL and somewhere in the secondary.

I agree. It's too early for me to consider this project since I don't know hour our young guys pan out or see how the FA class might shape up next year, but this is definitely a line I think will be true. 

The key isn't the cap space for us, it's the cap flexibility into the future that matters. I think we will definitely use that flexibility to fill the holes. Is that LT or RT if Dan Moore works out? Is that RG if Turner flames out? CB seems pretty obvious in general. 

In terms of QB I think Ben only comes back if this goes really, really well and he gels with Canada and they mold into a Payton/Brees style QB/OC connection. I think option 1 is a Haskins vs. Mason battle for #1 and a guy like Dobbs as the 3. Spending FA money and draft capital to surround those guys and just....well, see what happens. The year after that if neither work out, considering all the young talent we could have and using our FA money and draft stock to fill holes -- spend whatever it takes to get the franchise guy in 2023.

Both Haskins and Mason are under contract for a really attractive rate. Spend everything you have to build around them with your newly achieved flexibility and if it crashes and burns -- you are in a better spot for a draft pick. 

34 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

I agree. It's too early for me to consider this project since I don't know hour our young guys pan out or see how the FA class might shape up next year, but this is definitely a line I think will be true. 

The key isn't the cap space for us, it's the cap flexibility into the future that matters. I think we will definitely use that flexibility to fill the holes. Is that LT or RT if Dan Moore works out? Is that RG if Turner flames out? CB seems pretty obvious in general. 

In terms of QB I think Ben only comes back if this goes really, really well and he gels with Canada and they mold into a Payton/Brees style QB/OC connection. I think option 1 is a Haskins vs. Mason battle for #1 and a guy like Dobbs as the 3. Spending FA money and draft capital to surround those guys and just....well, see what happens. The year after that if neither work out, considering all the young talent we could have and using our FA money and draft stock to fill holes -- spend whatever it takes to get the franchise guy in 2023.

Both Haskins and Mason are under contract for a really attractive rate. Spend everything you have to build around them with your newly achieved flexibility and if it crashes and burns -- you are in a better spot for a draft pick. 

Yea I agree it’s not a matter of if....it’s a matter of where they bolster the team in FA.

Most bad teams have little or nothing around their incoming franchise QB...the Steelers will have the skill positions figured out(on cheaper rookie deals) mostly with the OL needing the most help.

Hell if you want to, and they sour on Haskins/Rudolph...keep building the surrounding pieces and go get Fitzpatrick or Bridgewater next year on a 1 year deal if Ben is. done

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AFF said:

Hell if you want to, and they sour on Haskins/Rudolph...keep building the surrounding pieces and go get Fitzpatrick or Bridgewater next year on a 1 year deal if Ben is. done

That's what I would do too at this point. Option 1 for me would be Haskins/Rudolph work out for a 1 year trial to the future. Option 2 would be Ben worked out and is willing to play assassin contracts until he is done (so like, 1 more year). Option 3 would be that journeyman vet who can hold it together. 

Im not in love with this QB class coming - which can obviously change. But I don't see us being bad enough to fall into the top 10 and we don't have a lot of draft capital to make any moves without basically punting on an entire draft class for Ricky Williams for a QB.

not interested in a Mason vs Haskins battle for QB1. I hope they bring in a more proven vet for the starting role if they can't get a top QB prospect in RD1. I honestly rather see cast off like Mitch get a shot over seeing Mason or haskins for a yr. I think Mitch would fit more into canada's style with his mobility

2 hours ago, August4th said:

not interested in a Mason vs Haskins battle for QB1. I hope they bring in a more proven vet for the starting role if they can't get a top QB prospect in RD1. I honestly rather see cast off like Mitch get a shot over seeing Mason or haskins for a yr. I think Mitch would fit more into canada's style with his mobility

Im not really excited about the Mason v Haskins thing…but it’s about the money to me. Fitz, Dalton, Teddy…they all make $10m+ (At least until terms of cap hit). Mason and Haskins would count less than $5m against the cap next year. Case Keemun is $6m right now. You won’t find a better financial commitment for meh players and you can use all your (limited) draft capital to improve the team  

I don’t think highly of Mason and Haskins is a project you may never fix, but carrying them at less than $5m cap but allows you to do a lot of other stuff. I’ve said it before im a firm believer in you can do one of two things: have a good QB or have a good OC….if Canada is okay and we can build around the QB position, I’d rather try it than commit more resources to a ? In a weak QB draft or pay Teddy $10m+ to come be slightly better. 

There are many variables just for the QB position alone.

If the Steelers win the SB, Ben could come back for an encore. However, he could just as easily ride into the Sunset. If the Steelers barely miss the playoffs, or flame out in the 1st round, then I doubt Ben comes back. 

So Rudolph v. Haskins is a distinct possibility, and it is likely the Steelers' current plan of record. Fans don't like it for various reasons, but that's what we're looking at.

If the Steelers have a really bad year, then drafting a QB in round 1 is certainly not out of the question. It likely means Ben went down (or was benched) and Rudolph and/or Haskins were disappointing. 

That's just QB. Aside from guys already signed through 2022 or beyond, predicting who is on the roster in various other positions is nearly impossible. One would have thought TJ Watt was a lock, but he is still not signed to a contract for next year. Maybe he ends up being tagged. Maybe he pulls a Leveon Bell.

• 3 weeks later...

I can't see Ben coming back, like this.
It just doesn't make sense.

I'm afraid we're looking at a significant re-shaping and with 
more money than most next season, they've done a good job
of managing the cap to do so.

Good news is, there's lots of young talent.

Does Canada survive? We'll see. 

Same ole stopgaps continually come up with Fitzpatrick and Bridgewater.

Mind you I'm throwing up in my mouth a touch saying this but...sign Cam now.  But there's also going to be Garrapolo out there, Daniel Jones might be available, Jacoby Brissett/Tua might be available, Mitchell Trubisky.  There's going to be more guys available than you think.

• Like 1

QB:  Rudolph, FA,  Draft Pick

RB: Najee, McFarland, FA

FB: Watt

TE: Freiermuth, Gentry, FA

LT: Dan Moore / FA

LG: Kevin Dotson / FA

C : Kendrick Green / FA

RG: Free Agent 

RT:Banner / Draft pick,

WR: Juju m, Chase, Diante, Draft pick, FA

DL: Cam, Buggs, Tuitt, Davis, Loudermilk, Draft Pick