Sign in to follow this  
titans0021

Tennessee Titans hype

After years of being ignored by the media as we sat near the bottom of the league, I think it'll be fun to collect all of the positive things we're seeing from the national media as we get closer to the regular season. Doesn't necessarily have to be overly positive, just season previews and what-not. If anything is real interesting, obviously feel free to create a separate thread. I just know that I, personally, thoroughly enjoy reading optimistic viewpoints about this franchise. It's been so long since we've gotten this kind of hype.

https://www.upi.com/Sports_News/2017/07/20/NFL-Expectations-high-for-improving-Tennessee-Titans/2141500587951/?utm_campaign=Contact+Quiboat+For+More+Referrer&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=quiboat

https://www.patspulpit.com/2017/7/20/15992362/top-5-afc-threats-to-the-new-england-patriots-5-tennessee-titans-mariota

http://www.espn.com/blog/indianapolis-colts/post/_/id/20671/afc-south-qa-are-titans-in-best-position-for-long-term-success

That last one is incredible when you think of how things looked this time a year ago. ESPN's Texans, Colts and Jaguars listing the Titans as the AFC South franchise with the best long-term outlook is such a massive change.

And then there's Peter King's power rankings. Which are kind of lunacy, but I'll take it.

https://www.si.com/mmqb/2017/05/23/nfl-power-rankings-offseason-peter-king-part-two

4. Tennessee Titans

Key front office/coaching moves: Frisman Jackson replaced Bob Bratkowski as receivers coach.

Decisive schedule span: Weeks 11 through 15 will determine if the Titans can hang with the big boys, with four road games in five weeks: at Pittsburgh, at Indianapolis, at Arizona, at San Francisco.

Why I have the Titans fourth: Every year there’s one stunner in the league (at least), and this year I like Tennessee to be that team. Not saying they’ll be another Nashville Predators and make the final two, but I like the Titans to make this huge jump because of core players. Marcus Mariota returns healthy from a broken leg and is a trusted and athletic player about to become a top-10 quarterback. The two franchise tackles, Taylor Lewan and Jack Conklin, proved their mettle last year, and are long-termers; they’ll play this year at 26 and 23, respectively. Much is expected of Corey Davis, the first-round receiver, as a deep threat, and he has to deliver. On defense, Jurrell Casey needs to be a national attention-grabber, Vince Wilfork with a better pass-rush. He’s good. The pass-rush (Derrick Morgan, Brian Orakpo) should generate enough pressure. The secondary’s the big concern, obviously. Adoree’ Jackson has to be the physical cover player he showed last fall at USC, and he has to be that way from day one. LeShaun Sims is a rising corner. In short, I’m trusting lots of young players to win a division that’s up for grabs and to win at least one January game. 

Most important factor to this team this year: The secondary. Can Sims, Ryan and Jackson lift a coverage unit that allowed 25 touchdowns and 4,585 yards in the air last year?

Titans prediction in 10 words or less: Marcus Mariota will be a strong MVP candidate.

I'd say weeks 1-6 is the decisive schedule span. 3 divisional games(2 on the road) and 4 playoff teams from last year. If we can go 4-2 in that span, I like our chances. 

Not quite Peter King levels of love, but we were listed at No. 10 in PFT's power rankings. Which, given that we were likely bottom five this time last year, I'm going to go ahead and count as hype.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/07/21/pft-preseason-power-rankings-no-10-tennessee-titans/

The AFC South, long a punchline, is deeper and more talented than it’s been, so it’s actually going to take some work to win the division this year. But if the secondary improves, if Davis fulfills his promise, and Mariota gets used to having more to work with, the Titans could become a threat for years to come.

6 hours ago, ttitansfan4life said:

I'd say weeks 1-6 is the decisive schedule span. 3 divisional games(2 on the road) and 4 playoff teams from last year. If we can go 4-2 in that span, I like our chances. 

If we get to Week 7 at 3-3, I'm alright. 4-2 and I'm getting ready to figure out a way to make a January trip to Nashville work lol.

The three division games are going to be massive. If we were to be sitting at 3-2 heading into the MNF game against the Colts, Nashville better be rocking.

Per PFF's new projected box scores, we're projected to be somewhere between 11-5 to 13-3. We're favored to win all but 3 games(@PIT, @IND, @ARZ), but some of the margins are really close(like within .2/.3 etc).

28 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

Per PFF's new projected box scores, we're projected to be somewhere between 11-5 to 13-3. We're favored to win all but 3 games(@PIT, @IND, @ARZ), but some of the margins are really close(like within .2/.3 etc).

I guess it makes sense. We added a PFF darling in Cyprien, Ryan is a big upgrade at corner and the offense had already graded out pretty highly. Though looking at the schedule, I wouldn't have guessed that they would rate at Indy and at Arizona as two of our three toughest games.

I love this hype but 1st game of the season i'm going to be nervous as heck. The Titans if they win great if they compete good if they completely get dominated after all this hype i'll expect the league to laugh. 

3 hours ago, Farsendor1 said:

I love this hype but 1st game of the season i'm going to be nervous as heck. The Titans if they win great if they compete good if they completely get dominated after all this hype i'll expect the league to laugh. 

If we lose by double-digits, the amount of backtracking by the media and the amount of same old Titans posts on FF are going to be really painful.

2 hours ago, titans0021 said:

If we lose by double-digits, the amount of backtracking by the media and the amount of same old Titans posts on FF are going to be really painful.

I gotta be honest if Titans get destroyed against Raiders i'll be on a media blank out for a week. 

I'm cautiously optimistic about the upcoming season. My brother is a Vikings fan and they were in a similar position last year that we're currently in.Unfortunately we saw what happened to them right before the season with Bridgewater, so things can change in the blink of an eye.

I honestly can't recall the last time we got this amount of hype. It makes me nervous.

27 minutes ago, TitanSlim said:

I honestly can't recall the last time we got this amount of hype. It makes me nervous.

Maybe 2009? Coming off of a 13-3 season and a CJ injury away from potentially making a deep playoff run? And even that is eight years ago at this point.

5 hours ago, ttitansfan4life said:

This is all just too much. I mean, it's refreshing to not be considered a joke. But it's getting out of control.

Edit: Though I just noticed that they have us losing to the Chargers at home in the first round of the playoffs. Which would crush me. Please not the goddamn Chargers.

1st post in the new forum=)

Want great conversation about our Titans? Check out A to Z sports. Been watching these dudes for about a year and they rock.

1 hour ago, TitanTuff said:

1st post in the new forum=)

Want great conversation about our Titans? Check out A to Z sports. Been watching these dudes for about a year and they rock.

Yep, I can agree with this. I don't join in on the conversation but they involve the fans in a lot of their sports talk.  Their live content is on Facebook and periscope.